Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,965 times

Advertisements

Moving to LA/OC area in August. I will be working at CSU-Fullerton, flexible weekday hours (as a professor, so no real set hours other than class times, which should be more afternoons & the occasional evening). So I have some flexibility in terms of trying to work around traffic.

I really want to live in or near Manhattan Beach--more exactly, like a 5-10 min drive inland from dtown MB closer to the 91--& commute to CSU-Fullerton 3-5 times a week. I know this commute is about 30 minutes with no traffic, as I just did it yesterday (Saturday) morning, pretty much a straight shot on the 91... But I also know weekday traffic is a different animal in LA.

I have the flexibility of avoiding peak rush hours & will be, in a sense, "reverse commuting" (from west to east in the morning/early afternoon), if such a thing exists in LA. Anyone know what this drive would be like around 10am-noon on a typical weekday? I'm less concerned about the getting home part (from Fullerton to MB), as I don't mind leaving work around 8pm or later if need be.

I'm hoping it's about 45 mins, suspect it's more like an hour, & fear it's an hour fifteen or more.

Any local advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 10:39 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Yes that is an easy drive, 45 minutes minimum. Not sure how you did it in 30 minutes unless you were speeding . The 405 to 110 to 91 will TYPICALLY be fast, but if you get caught in traffic on that 110, you are stuck

Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times
My only advice is the Traffic Predict website (link below) which allows you to see Google Maps traffic history for your commuting hours. I would think you should be fine reverse commuting this route but a Saturday morning commute is going to tell you absolutely zilch about what it's like to commute during the work week. Make sure you consider both your outbound and inbound commute times. I would guess the evening commute will take longer on this route.

I would just add, this is a pretty good distance you're signing yourself up for even with no traffic. I used to do Chino Hills to LAX on occasion when I lived out in the IE which is about twice this distance. I tried to leave after 9am and return before 2pm so I have a good idea of driving along the 91 in light traffic. Your proposed route/distance is not something I would want to do 4-5 days per week. If you know with absolute certainty you can leave after 10am and return at 7-8pm I think that you will avoid traffic for the most part. If your hours change in the future it could easily double your commute time.

Traffic Predict | Predicting freeway traffic

Last edited by Dunbar42; 02-07-2016 at 11:16 AM..

Old 02-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. Getting all the way to dtown MB from CSUF (which is right next to the highway, btw) was about 40 minutes, but I'd prolly live about 5-10 mins inland, so that's why I considered the commute about 30 mins without any traffic. And yes Lopez, I was driving let's say briskly, but never above 90 (more like the 70-85 range for the most part). And I'll check out that link Dunbar!

Old 02-07-2016, 11:39 AM

No worries, I'm not trying to seem argumentative or pessimistic, but your predicament is a pretty common one these socal boards. "I got a job in X but I want to live in Y, please tell me the commute will be fine." I completely understand why you would want to live in the south bay but please do not underestimate the impact of your commute on your quality of life. You have plenty of time to think about it so don't rush into any decisions.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:29 PM

Another thought if anyone knows...

Are there something along the lines of direct commuter buses that go from one "town" to another without stopping in between? Say, from MB (or somewhere nearby) to Fullerton? I suspect these would have limited schedules (basically around rush hours).

I ask because I saw these in NY (I worked at 26th & Madison in Manhattan, & one of my co-workers took a direct bus from somewhere in Queens that dropped everyone off at Madison Park). A friend of mine who recently visited Hermosa heard something about a commuter bus from Hermosa to downtown LA (but I could see downtown as a popular destination... Maybe Fullerton, not so much).

Seems like it would be an efficient traffic solution to boot.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:36 PM

Did find this... Commuter Express - LADOT Transit Services

Old 02-07-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymattd View Post
Are there something along the lines of direct commuter buses that go from one "town" to another without stopping in between? Say, from MB (or somewhere nearby) to Fullerton? I suspect these would have limited schedules (basically around rush hours).
I can't answer your specific question but I have seen commuter busses dropping people off in Hermosa Beach during the week. You could take Uber/Lyft from the bus stop to your office if it's too far to walk. IMO I don't think this is a long/stressful enough commute to warrant "outsourcing" it to a bus driver. It will probably waste quite a bit more of your time than just driving it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles