Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,510 times

Advertisements

What would the average annual salary in 2016 for a family of four to live comfortably in los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 05:45 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
$93,407 per year, give or take a few dollars. Are you going to make the kids work too?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:14 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
We are family of three living comfortably for $80k. Our kid is less than a year. Most people on this forum claim it's not possible for is to survive for less than $150k. We do more than just survive. But home ownership is out of the question unless I want an extreme commute

Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Completely/entirely/fully depends on your other debts. Assuming zero debts you could make it work under 6 figures as Ryanms has mentioned. You might not live glamorously or own but it can be done.

If you have debt, then well, good luck.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Completely/entirely/fully depends on your other debts. Assuming zero debts you could make it work under 6 figures as Ryanms has mentioned. You might not live glamorously or own but it can be done.

If you have debt, then well, good luck.
Yes, our only dept is car loan so that is a big factor. If we had student loans, $10k+ on credit cards and other debt like some people it would be a much more difficult situation

Old 02-10-2016, 11:14 AM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
When you say Los Angeles, it depends where in Los Angeles you want to live.

You could probably live semi-comfortably on a high five-figure income if you live in a so-so part of the SFV or possibly areas such as Highland Park.

If you want to be in West LA, nicer parts of the Valley or some of the better suburbs, I'd say you definitely want to clear well $100K unless you're ok with putting your family in an older 2-3 bedroom apartment. If you want to live in a house, I'd say you definitely want to be in at least the low 6 figures. All depends on your family's wants and needs.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:29 AM

160 posts, read 148,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
We are family of three living comfortably for $80k. Our kid is less than a year. Most people on this forum claim it's not possible for is to survive for less than $150k. We do more than just survive. But home ownership is out of the question unless I want an extreme commute

Just want to point out, it is my understanding that only you work? Therefore your wife can take care of the kid and you guys don't have to pay for any child care costs. If both of you worked (hypothetically 40k each) you would probably have to make more to keep the same lifestyle.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I do think that's an advantage you have over a standard dual income family.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:21 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
You're using the word average in the wrong way here. You're asking for individual opinions on how much money a family needs to live comfortably. That question is impossible to answer without knowing where you intend to live in Los Angeles, what sort of housing you desire, how much debt you have, whether you will be relying on public schools etc.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:28 PM

302 posts, read 453,014 times
Stats can be looked up. That's a loaded question for city-data. It depends on situation. I make around what ryanmms makes and my wife stays at home with the kids. We don't need to waste money on child care. We also mix in paid activities with free activities like hiking.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwnwbrwncw View Post
Just want to point out, it is my understanding that only you work? Therefore your wife can take care of the kid and you guys don't have to pay for any child care costs. If both of you worked (hypothetically 40k each) you would probably have to make more to keep the same lifestyle.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I do think that's an advantage you have over a standard dual income family.
You are correct. But when my wife worked she made about the same as me. But yes child care is expensive. My coworker is looking around and inexpensive option is around $800/mo or nearly half our rent. I also managed to stay one tax bracket below my earnings by contributing enough to 401k and with extra deductions for kid everything is working out so far. Basically with only me working we get to raise our own kid and keep more of our money and give less to the government so it's a win win. Now I just need to get to this point:

Never Pay Taxes Again - Go Curry Cracker!Go Curry Cracker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles