Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 10:46 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwnwbrwncw View Post
I'm sorry you're poor and expected to make it here. You clearly failed in LA and the city is not for you.
Go live in Idaho and have a nice life. Toodles.
You really need to take a step back and actually understand what radio is saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 10:46 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you're poor and expected to make it here. You clearly failed in LA and the city is not for you.
Go live in Idaho and have a nice life. Toodles.
If you had the ability to comprehend simple things better instead of writing flippant trolish quippy things like an insufferable hipster, you'd understand my point better. Instead you take it as someone who failed miserably? I gave you my opinion as to what I think most Americans who think very practical say when they give reasons for why they don't choose to live in LA. My point was that the way we may think it's weird for other people choosing to live elsewhere they may have their opinion about LA being xyz. And it's not out of some misplaced envy or failure. Its about their preferences and stage in life.

If anything you just sound elitist or what I assume to be just a typical troll.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:28 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
If you had the ability to comprehend simple things better instead of writing flippant trolish quippy things like an insufferable hipster, you'd understand my point better. Instead you take it as someone who failed miserably? I gave you my opinion as to what I think most Americans who think very practical say when they give reasons for why they don't choose to live in LA. My point was that the way we may think it's weird for other people choosing to live elsewhere they may have their opinion about LA being xyz. And it's not out of some misplaced envy or failure. Its about their preferences and stage in life.

If anything you just sound elitist or what I assume to be just a typical troll.
Some of the people on these forums sometimes. You were actually bringing up many valid points.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
I don't think us LA-lovers are particularly in the majority. The vast majority of Americans view the city as too crazy, expensive, dysfunctional and has a crummy job market. I can see why they think that too. Just like we might not get why they would choose to live in Idaho or Utah they look at us as though we are stubborn dummies because the rest of the country has affordable cities with ample amenities and less of the headaches of living in an LA or SF. The majority of the country thinks practical while a lot of people that remain here are almost trying to live out a vision they have for their lives and they'll spare no expense.
I have no dog in this fight but you are pulling this stuff out of thin air. You speak for the majority of Americans? I don't think Joe Blow in Pittsburgh is giving LA any thought at all. But somehow you know what he is thinking. LOL

Quote:
You could double the numbers that still wouldn't outnumber the majority who would prefer to live elsewhere that's more practical. I never meant to say the number of people trying to move here is small. It's still pretty sizeable.
You need to take off your transplant lenses once in a while and realize that LA/California has reached a maturation in its demographic evolution. That is, California-born residents make up the majority of statewide residents these days.

This is not 1970 or 1980 when there were large number of transplants (relative to the native born). The population growth in the state/region is now driven more organically (births over deaths). This is a trend that USC demographer Dowell Myers was writing about around the time of the 2010 census (see link).

Native-born Californians regain majority status - latimes

So for many Angelenos it is not about if living in LA is "practical" or not. LA is simply home, where they grew up and where family is. Of course, for a small number of transplants (relative to the overall pop.), they will need to weigh the cost/benefits for themselves. For those from low cost metros like Houston, they may never get over the sticker shock. And that is ok.

Quote:
Also, prices are up for a multitude of factors in LA. Regulations and NIMBYism have made it more difficult for developers to find it lucrative to invest in affordable housing. There are a lot of people wanting to move here, no doubt but a lot of it also foreign investors flooding the market with cash. Plus there is a big lack of affordable housing in the city to begin with.
NIMBYISM/regulations have been a problem for years in the desirable coastal parts of California..but this is a trend we are seeing in other "desirable" metro areas (see link to Atlantic mag piece on the issue).

Not saying that makes it right or a good thing. But this is not likely to change anytime soon, probably never. Might as well get used to it.

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 02-20-2016 at 01:51 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 01:51 PM

160 posts, read 148,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You really need to take a step back and actually understand what radio is saying.
What radio is saying is that he can somehow speak for the majority of America and has no evidence to back it up.

I supported my position with facts and articles. His position is 100% opinion based and then he somehow has the audacity to assume that his experience applies to the entire country.

Just like your completely inane post here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I've only heard it about LA. Never had a problem anywhere else.
Both of you have taken your personal experiences and decided somehow that is applicable across the entire population. It's a complete joke.

Now, I understand that you will support his opinion because you also failed to make it in LA. This doesn't surprise me in the least. Anyone else that is suffering here makes you feel like you made the correct choice and validates your decision in leaving. You can point to them "aha! I would be like this poor guy stuck in LA like a hamster if I hadn't left".

I have never once told anyone who doesn't like it here that their opinion is wrong. I really don't care. Go move somewhere else. However, clearly there are MILLIONS of people that like it here so to project your opinion onto all of us and then assume you know what everyone else thinks is completely moronic.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:59 PM

NONE of your points give me pause to retract my statements because you're arguing points i never made. First off, I know that for many Angelenos this is home no matter what the costs are and that they simply adapt to any changes or move with their feet as many people have. I've learned to do that myself as a transplant. I know the costs of living here and the extra headaches that someone might not deal with elsewhere but I don't complain I look at it as having to adapt.
Secondly, the point I was trying to make is that we might wonder why people don't flock to LA but when pressed people usually cite the costs, the taxes or whatever. I don't know why that's such a controversial statement to make or why it's blanket if a big reason people cite is costs.
And that's the crux in my argument that the people who might choose to move some here weight the costs and the benefits.
Third, while its true it hasn't been lucrative to invest in affordable housing for quite some time, the regulations and the NIMBYism has affected the costs further as has the job market taking time to recover and the wage disconnect being the largest in the nation. This makes LA a bit harder than other cities. Citing other cities going through the same thing doesn't mean anything because my point wasn't to just single LA as having these problems but I did say that it uniquely (along with SF) makes it tougher than other low cost cities. The article you posted was the article I was going to cite to the HWDGNDVB troll guy. And most of the info I read on LA comes from Curbed LA.

But before we go any further I do have to ask why is any questioning of the some of the flaws of LA seen as such a slap in the face to y'all? Seriously, this has gotten beyond control. I mean I don't even know how bringing up the fact that there are more native born Californians even factor into this discussion if it was mostly about how people out of CA would view LA and their reasons for them not moving here.
Everything is an f-in' slight to you people. Why? Why is it all or nothing or get the F out? It's getting beyond annoying going in circles trying to lay out that things in LA could improve for the better if these things could get fixed somehow, things the city council have already addressed are issues such as wages and affordable housing. Are they LA haters? You guys need to quit thinking any opinion that isn't positively ass kissing glowing means that the city sucks. Do you people not give a darn about nuance?

Old 02-20-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
What radio is saying is that he can somehow speak for the majority of America and has no evidence to back it up.

I supported my position with facts and articles. His position is 100% opinion based and then he somehow has the audacity to assume that his experience applies to the entire country.

Just like your completely inane post here:

Both of you have taken your personal experiences and decided somehow that is applicable across the entire population. It's a complete joke.

Now, I understand that you will support his opinion because you also failed to make it in LA. This doesn't surprise me in the least. Anyone else that is suffering here makes you feel like you made the correct choice and validates your decision in leaving. You can point to them "aha! I would be like this poor guy stuck in LA like a hamster if I hadn't left".

I have never once told anyone who doesn't like it here that their opinion is wrong. I really don't care. Go move somewhere else. However, clearly there are MILLIONS of people that like it here so to project your opinion onto all of us and then assume you know what everyone else thinks is completely moronic.
Dude, you're assuming that I somehow failed here yet get unwound when I tell you my opinion as to why I assume someone might choose Boise or Austin over LA? Businesses make these decisions, you think people won't? Total flipping hypocrite who can't form a coherent argument without sounding like a high school girl; you're just jealous cus I'm hot.
Get out of here man. You're lost homeboy.

And that one article from Bloomberg doesn't mean anything cus it cited SF as a higher more desirable place than LA. You think SF doesn't have problems? All the articles coming out from people in tech citing the crazy rent prices, taxes and such? That doesn't mean SF sucks and isn't desirable but there are issues surrounding the growth too. Would you consider me a SF basher too?

Old 02-20-2016, 02:16 PM

76 posts, read 77,105 times
Because they can't afford it.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:22 PM

160 posts, read 148,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnative1989 View Post
Because they can't afford it.
Nailed it.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Nailed it.
So now you're speaking for all Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles