Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I think people are really taking his question to literal. Obviously there is no place in LA that is like NYC, pretty sure the dude just wants a place that is walkable, urban, and has a good amount of high-rises lol.

I live in DTLA, and I really like the area. I say a nice area to live near LA Live if you can afford it, rent is quiet expensive in this section of downtown(if you can afford it I highly suggest it). Over near 6th street and spring is also nice. I think DTLA is a nice area, and probs one of my favorite in the city. I'm not sure why people are trying to act like it is a really rough area, I feel a lot safer in DTLA than I do in Hollywood at night. There are tons of bars and a lot of very nice restaurants coming every which way, not to mention it is home to some pretty awesome architecture. If you want a place that is most like NYC then DTLA is definitly your best bet.
and I would disagree with you on this. If you have lived any time in the 2 cities or visited both, you would know that downtown or wherever NYC is New Your City and Los Angeles is Los Angeles and they have almost nothing in common except for being pricy and very diverse. I certainly am not saying downtown Los Angele isn't nice, my point is, the city is nothing like NYC>
OP, probably the Hollywood area would come the closest as someone else suggested. One thing I think of when I try to compare the areas: NYC is a walkable and public transportation friendly city, Los Angeles is a car friendly city.

Come to California expecting to find a wonderful and different experience but don't expect to find a NYC experience. Only San Francisco could give you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 05:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I would disagree with you on this. If you have lived any time in the 2 cities or visited both, you would know that downtown or wherever NYC is New Your City and Los Angeles is Los Angeles and they have almost nothing in common except for being pricy and very diverse. I certainly am not saying downtown Los Angele isn't nice, my point is, the city is nothing like NYC>
OP, probably the Hollywood area would come the closest as someone else suggested. One thing I think of when I try to compare the areas: NYC is a walkable and public transportation friendly city, Los Angeles is a car friendly city.

Come to California expecting to find a wonderful and different experience but don't expect to find a NYC experience. Only San Francisco could give you that.
If you lived downtown, depending on where you worked you could walk to work. And there is public transportation there. I think the OP meant he wanted to have that kind of LA experience.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:59 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,392,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OP, probably the Hollywood area would come the closest as someone else suggested
. One thing I think of when I try to compare the areas: NYC is a walkable and public transportation friendly city, Los Angeles is a car friendly city.
I don't think anyone in this thread suggested the OP is going to find anything comparable to NYC in LA. That is just plain reality.

Also, I view downtown LA as a better option for the OP than Hollywood. Downtown LA has a better balance of residential, office, retail and nightlife. As others have noted, parts of Hollywood can be a tourist trap. Although the OP might want to check it out.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:12 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,392,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You can't figure out why people would say DTLA is a rough area? Really?
I would not call downtown LA a "rough" area. Ten or fifteen years ago perhaps. Yes, avoid Skid Row. But the rest of downtown LA is fine for "urban residential" living with the normal caveats about big city living.

Again to the OP: in Downtown LA you can check out South Park or the very southern portion of the Financial District. Roughly 7th Street (north) to Pico (south) to Harbor Freeway (west) and Hill Street (west).

You might also check out Spring Street (from 4th to 7th Street) in the Historic Core. This is an area with historic office buildings converted to lofts with lots of retail, bars and pedestrian activity (for Los Angeles). The only downside is the proximity to Skid Row (read: homeless). That said, I lived on Spring over ten years ago when it was not "hip" and never had any issues.

Also: you might check out downtown Santa Monica. Not as dense as downtown LA but still very walkable and cleaner than downtown LA.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:47 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you lived downtown, depending on where you worked you could walk to work. And there is public transportation there. I think the OP meant he wanted to have that kind of LA experience.
But still DTLA encompasses maybe 5% of the LA experience and the stuff that is walking distance will get old real fast. Downtown may not be a ghost town like it was as little as 5 years ago but it's really not the prime spot in LA for anything. You can live there but you'll still need a car and spend a lot of time driving to experience LA. As others said embrace it don't try to recreate the NYC experience

Old 03-01-2016, 07:50 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,963 times
Westwood/Century City, probably. Not really like NYC, but at least there are tall buildings and people walking on the streets.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:24 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
But still DTLA encompasses maybe 5% of the LA experience and the stuff that is walking distance will get old real fast. Downtown may not be a ghost town like it was as little as 5 years ago but it's really not the prime spot in LA for anything. You can live there but you'll still need a car and spend a lot of time driving to experience LA. As others said embrace it don't try to recreate the NYC experience
This ^^^. OP, moving to la for the dtla experience is pointless. It is an improving area but trying to experience the good things of la without a car is very difficult. Yes, the light rail is expanding, but keep in mind there are borough-size areas that you simply wouldnt be able to get to easily on a train. LA is massive. NOTHING like NYC subway system. Check out sf if you can afford it. Very walkable, lots of culture, great food, and better transit. Youre picking the wrong city. Take note of all the one word posts: "none". There is your answer..

Old 03-01-2016, 10:56 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,706 times
As un urban feel.. dtla..

Old 03-01-2016, 11:34 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,112,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
This ^^^. OP, moving to la for the dtla experience is pointless. It is an improving area but trying to experience the good things of la without a car is very difficult. Yes, the light rail is expanding, but keep in mind there are borough-size areas that you simply wouldnt be able to get to easily on a train. LA is massive. NOTHING like NYC subway system. Check out sf if you can afford it. Very walkable, lots of culture, great food, and better transit. Youre picking the wrong city. Take note of all the one word posts: "none". There is your answer..
Damnit, f-You 1950's suburban culture trend..

Old 03-01-2016, 11:42 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
better transit.
Might be better in certain areas..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles