Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 18,831 times

Advertisements

I think I've read through most of the forums already addressing this topic, and I'm hoping to get a more situation specific answer.

My partner and I are moving to LA from Minneapolis in 1 month as I will be starting a new job as an RN at UCLA in Westwood. We have little desire to live on the westside. Koreatown and Miracle Mile would be okay, but I'm concerned about parking. We are looking for a 1-2 bedroom that allows cats under $1800, can go up to $2000 if absolutely necessary.

I really like the Los Feliz/Silverlake/Echo Park area. These areas seem to have more apartments in the style that we like (vintage apartments with hardwood floors) and seem to be more similar to the type of area we would like to live. HOWEVER, I am concerned about my commute. I have a little bit different of a situation as my schedule will be rotating days and nights, either 7a-7p or 7p-7a, depending on the month. Considering these work hours, how much should I really factor my commute into where I decide to live? I will also only be working 3 days per week.

I know a lot of people say to live close to work, but I don't think we would be happy living in that area. We lived in a neighborhood that was not fit for us for a short time and both had a really hard time with it. I'm wondering if the commute from the Los Feliz/Silverlake/Echo Park area to UCLA 3 days per week would be worth it to live in a neighborhood we enjoy. However, I don't want to completely hate my life with an awful commute. There will only be 12 hours inbetween my shifts when I do work, so if I have a 3 hour commute combined back and forth, my sleep will likely be affected on the days I work.

What are your thoughts? Any suggestions that I may have not thought of? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 10:50 AM

908 posts, read 1,302,866 times
If you are only working 3 days per week, then I would definitely put up with a longer commute in order to live in my ideal location.

For the morning shift, traffic on the way to work shouldn't be too bad since traffic picks up more after 7 a.m. If you leave around 6:15 a.m., you should be good to get to work on time. The commute on the way back at night will be longer (closer to 1 hour), but again, if you're only doing this 3 days per week, that's not bad at all. So you should be looking at a round trip commute of about 1 hr 30 min - 1 hr 45 min.

For the evening shift, the difference is that your evening commute to work will be longer than your morning commute back home.

If you're looking at the Los Feliz/Silver Lake/Echo Park area, my recommendation would be northern part of Silver Lake near Los Feliz or Los Feliz itself. As you say, lots of neat, vintage apartments in that area, and it's less congested and a bit nicer than the southern part of Silver Lake and Echo Park.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,376 times
If you can find what you what rent-wise in Silverlake/Los Feliz, I would not hesitate to live there and commute to UCLA. Commute-wise Rancho Park, Culver City are better options but many people commute from Los Feliz to the westside. My son lived in Silverlake and commuted to Century City because he loved the Sunset Junction area so much, with no problems. Congratulations on your job and welcome to California! Time to put away the parkas!

Old 03-03-2016, 01:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
The commute time from Echo Park (the closest of the 3 areas you're looking at) to the 110/10/405 freeways to UCLA is between 31-42 minutes in non-rush hours. And the parking areas at UCLA are enormous to traverse and the hospital is too, so you need to factor in that time as well. Living in Los Feliz or Silverlake will add even more time, being farther away. I think you're looking at closer to 1 hour door-to-door from Echo Park IF TRAFFIC PERMITS. It often won't.

Your 12-hour shifts should actually be 7a-7:30 due to your lunch period, so that extends your time away from home. Yes, you will short sleep on any back-to-back schedule.

But while you're sitting in your car in bumper-to-bumper traffic, think of how you at least aren't doing it in snow or sleet or freezing temperatures.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the great responses! I don't mind an hour commute as I've driven 40 miles one way to work here in Minnesota. My mom has a 72 mile commute to work one way! Yikes! My main concern is the unpredictable nature of traffic and getting to work on time. The drive home concerns me less since I don't have to clock in once I get home! I'll just have to give myself plenty of time to get to work if I live in any of those areas. Good to know it's not completely out of the question to live there though. Considering it's only 3 days per week, it may be worth it...

Old 03-04-2016, 04:12 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
One question is the unpredictability of it and how important that is. Is this a position that you have to be extremely punctual and consistent and therefore must always leave for work with enough buffer time (which would be more of a problem for when your shift starts at 7 pm)? I think maybe someone on this forum has had a similar commute can probably weigh in and give you an idea.

If that doesn't turn up pleasant answers, then maybe explore more of the options closer in like west los angeles, sawtelle, palms or culver city. Maybe.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
One question is the unpredictability of it and how important that is. Is this a position that you have to be extremely punctual and consistent and therefore must always leave for work with enough buffer time (which would be more of a problem for when your shift starts at 7 pm)? I think maybe someone on this forum has had a similar commute can probably weigh in and give you an idea.

If that doesn't turn up pleasant answers, then maybe explore more of the options closer in like west los angeles, sawtelle, palms or culver city. Maybe.
Well the OP is an RN, so being extremely punctual is a must.

I used to work at UCLA in an office job, even after getting on campus it was a good brisk 5 minute walk to get to the building from the parking structure. So you have to consider where you will be parking and add that time in for walking.

If the OP is starting work at 7pm, and I would imagine need to be there for shift change, I would leave Silverlake/Los Feliz no later than 4:30pm. It's going to be heavy traffic the whole way.

I guess if it's only 3 days a week, it's not too bad. I would still look at Miracle Mile area or Hollywood first since the OP doesn't like the west side.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:52 PM

I've definitely considered Miracle Mile or even Koreatown. However, I'm worried about being able to find a place that offers parking because it is my understanding that street parking in these areas is extremely inconvienent. I'm not so worried about leaving early for the night shift as it's easier for me to get out of bed for an overnight than it is for me to wake up early for a 7am start time.

Can anybody comment on the mid-city area?

It's important for us to live in a diverse neighborhood that has some fun/interesting things to do for a couple in their mid-20s. My partner is a filmmaker and we will only have one car to start, so being central and with access to public transit if necessary is important, at least in the beginning.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of places when I search online. I've been looking through westside rentals, Craigslist, and radpad for the last few months to get a feel for the market. Do a lot of places put up signs and get their renters that way instead. I certainly hope so because I want more options!

Old 03-04-2016, 10:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag0515 View Post
I've definitely considered Miracle Mile or even Koreatown. However, I'm worried about being able to find a place that offers parking because it is my understanding that street parking in these areas is extremely inconvienent. I'm not so worried about leaving early for the night shift as it's easier for me to get out of bed for an overnight than it is for me to wake up early for a 7am start time.

Can anybody comment on the mid-city area?

It's important for us to live in a diverse neighborhood that has some fun/interesting things to do for a couple in their mid-20s. My partner is a filmmaker and we will only have one car to start, so being central and with access to public transit if necessary is important, at least in the beginning.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of places when I search online. I've been looking through westside rentals, Craigslist, and radpad for the last few months to get a feel for the market. Do a lot of places put up signs and get their renters that way instead. I certainly hope so because I want more options!
West Hollywood isn't too far from Westwood and has fun stuff to do. You'll have to ask people about what the evening commute will be like.

What don't you like about the Westside? And what do you mean by diverse? Maybe if you explained what you were looking for in a neighborhood people could come up with better suggestions.

I do think if you are spending 2 and 1/2 hours in traffic before a 12 hour shift, and then you have to get home you may be severely impacting the quality of your life as well as the ability to do your job.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:44 PM

I just don't want to live in an extremely affluent white area. We currently live in a pretty diverse area with different cultures. I just don't want to isolate ourselves from experiences that are different than ours. We moved to a primarily white affluent neighborhood in St Paul for a few months and we found it extremely depressing. I just want to live in a neighborhood that is alive and full of life with many different walks of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles