Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:07 PM

660 posts, read 654,425 times

Advertisements

The reason we have chosen Santa Ana Embassy Suites is because it seems centered. We aren't only going to Six Flags or the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but also a day trip down to San Diego, down to Newport Beach, and other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 03:18 PM

601 posts, read 751,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
The reason we have chosen Santa Ana Embassy Suites is because it seems centered. We aren't only going to Six Flags or the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but also a day trip down to San Diego, down to Newport Beach, and other things.
Hollywood sucks, skip it. I'm serious. Go to LACMA or Griffith Park instead.

Santa Ana is a terrible location, but *shrug* you already made your decision, it seems. Driving into LA for any trip up that way will take you 1+ hours one way, and you're looking at 2-3 hours to get to six flags now. Newport is in no way different in any way than any other LA beach, there's no point staying close to it. Prob 2 hours to San Diego as well - you've set yourself up to lose 4-6 hours of 'fun time' per day, b/c you'll be stuck driving.

Glendale would have been the best out of your options, IMO.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post

Santa Ana is a terrible location, but *shrug* you already made your decision, it seems. Driving into LA for any trip up that way will take you 1+ hours one way, and you're looking at 2-3 hours to get to six flags now. Newport is in no way different in any way than any other LA beach, there's no point staying close to it. Prob 2 hours to San Diego as well - you've set yourself up to lose 4-6 hours of 'fun time' per day, b/c you'll be stuck driving.

I guess we will stay at the Embassy Suites Glendale. It is $60 extra per night, but I guess it is worth it. Or what about the Embassy Suites right next to LAX?

Old 03-06-2016, 03:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,526,602 times
Quote:
I wouldn't stay in Santa Ana just because you're going to San Diego for the day. Most of the stuff you listed that you want to do is going to hour or more with traffic north of Santa Ana and longer getting back.

You could stay in Glendale which puts you closer to most of your outings, go do SD for the day leaving about 10am(if it's weekday) and miss a lot of traffic, stay down there till around 9pm and head back, again missing traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post

I said that earlier. But why listen to us, we only live here.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:38 PM

Does anyone know which Embassy Suites near LAX is better, North or South? I understand Glendale is the closest to Downtown, but LAX seems closer to the places to the south of LA.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:54 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,563,911 times
Quote:
San Diego isn't really a "day trip" from Los Angeles. There's a lot to do and see in San Diego, and you'll be looking at four hours of driving to get to San Diego and back to Glendale (two hours each way, possibly more depending on traffic).

Either plan an overnight, or two nights if you want to have a full day here or skip San Diego and concentrate your time in the LA/OC area. (If you do decide to stay in San Diego, there's a very nice Embassy Suites right in the Gaslamp Quarter: http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/...NES/index.html It's walking distance to Petco Park, where you can catch a Padres game. But San Diego also many other good hotel choices too and prices at many tend to be just a tad less expensive than LA).

Here's another thought: many visitors to Southern California take a "road trip" approach, dividing their time up in different places. For example, they may spend 2-3 nights in Los Angeles, a night in Orange County (especially if Disneyland is on their must do list) and then 2-3 nights in San Diego.

Have you ever been to the desert? If not, then maybe a night in the Palm Springs area with a visit to Joshua Tree would be fun.

Have a great trip!

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-06-2016 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-06-2016, 04:09 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,357,524 times
Quote:
Does anyone know which Embassy Suites near LAX is better, North or South? I understand Glendale is the closest to Downtown, but LAX seems closer to the places to the south of LA.
I think the Embassy Suites LAX North recently completed a renovation and is nicer than E.S. LAX South. Though either one of them would be fine I am sure.

The Embassy Suites LAX North is located 1/2 mile from LAX. This is a good location from the standpoint of being near a variety of tourist related places (Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Getty Center, etc.). The only downside is the location is a very bland and boring airport location. But you will presumably not be spending much time in your hotel anyway.

I don't get your desire to only consider Embassy Suites Hotels? Why not consider other hotels in the same price range?

Old 03-06-2016, 04:14 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,789,936 times
Don't stay at LAX. I also agree if you go to San Diego get a hotel there and stay at least one night. You don't want to drive round trip in a day. You might get lucky or you might spend 8 hours in the car.

And museums are much better than hanging out on Hollywood Blvd with homeless street kids and clueless tourists. Check out LACMA and Peterson Auto museums which are across from each other and/or the Getty, the Griffith Observatory etc

Old 03-06-2016, 04:47 PM

The reason why we prefer Embassy Suites is because we have stayed at them in the past and had good experiences and they have the really good breakfasts. And we feel that it is not worth the extra $200+ per night to stay in a Westin or Ritz Carlton in DTLA.

We have changed plans a lot. In order to save money, we are going to take the trip without our girlfriends (luckily we did not tell them yet) and just stay in one room at Glendale.

We are going to fly into San Diego first and stay like two nights in San Diego. Luckily the relative is nice enough to meet us in San Diego to give us the car. After those two nights we are going to drive up to LA and spend a week in LA. I read some reviews on tripadvisor about the Walk of Fame, and the tourists called it overrated with lots of homeless people begging for money and fake characters asking for money after photos. So if we eliminate the Walk of Fame, how is he Universal Studios at Hollywood?

Old 03-06-2016, 05:38 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,357,524 times
^^^You can do the Walk of Fame in 20 minutes or 1 hour max. Yes it is overrated but if I were a tourist I'd still want to check it out...you'll be in LA for a whole week. So why not. I've not been to Universal Studios since I was a kid so I got nothing for you there.

Your new plan makes a lot more sense. Two nights in San Diego and a week in LA.

As others have stated, Griffith Observatory on a clear day is a must see. Much better than the Walk of Fame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles