Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:07 PM

387 posts, read 509,267 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if there will ever be so much infill within a 25 mile radius of DTLA, that traffic makes it impossible to commute. For example. The 5 Freeway today seems to have reached its limit. No way can someone commute daily from San Diego county into Long Beach like back in the day. Corona seems to be developing so fast, that Riverside and Moreno valley will be "blocked off" by extreme congestion.

Also real estate wise, most homes in the IE advertise as "only one hour from LA and coastal Orange county". That one hour won't be like that forever. Imagine weekend rush hour being the new normal on sundays and everyday. It'll make the drive to the beach a good 2.5 hours each direction. Not only does it affect the inland folks, but i have many friends from Newport and Huntington beach that love to go to Big Bear and Palm Springs, will this will also affect their quality of life/leisure get aways.

Literally every SoCal suburb is constructing some kind of townhome or condominium project. The once outskirts of the high desert and Coachella Valley are now the new masterplanned community boom.

Last edited by I Love Buildings; 03-10-2016 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 01:23 AM

601 posts, read 752,700 times
Dense does not necessarily equal traffic. If we had vastly better public transit, comparable to other megacities, it wouldn't be an issue. Housing development isn't the problem.

Having said that, I don't know who could be dumb enough to buy a place in IE or further with the intention of commuting into LA every day. Not a smart move.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:31 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,702,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Dense does not necessarily equal traffic. If we had vastly better public transit, comparable to other megacities, it wouldn't be an issue. Housing development isn't the problem.

Having said that, I don't know who could be dumb enough to buy a place in IE or further with the intention of commuting into LA every day. Not a smart move.
Jobs.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:06 AM

925 posts, read 1,053,431 times
IE to LA commute is easy if you can take Metrolink. Driving into LA from IE is stupid. I work Downtown LA and take train from Montclair. Most of my coworkers live in the IE and almost nobody drives. That is the future.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:20 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,086,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
IE to LA commute is easy if you can take Metrolink. Driving into LA from IE is stupid. I work Downtown LA and take train from Montclair. Most of my coworkers live in the IE and almost nobody drives. That is the future.
Bingo. I have several colleagues that ride the Metro from the IE to DTLA. Although it might take a while...depending how far you are...the commute is "easy".

Old 03-11-2016, 08:48 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,365,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
If you are lucky enough to work in Downtown LA or another area close to a metrolink or light rail station, then yes absolutely. However, a lot of LA's employment is disbursed and not always proximate to a mass transit stop.

Hopefully, as the rail network expands more employment will concentrate in these areas..making commuting by rail more feasible.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:46 AM

Yes you think that proximity to transit would be a main consideration where a business locates or expands. For example, a business in London would never even consider locating far from transit lines. Hope that mentality catches on in LA!!!

Old 03-11-2016, 09:55 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,914,148 times
Public transit obviously the solution.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:56 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,688,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post

I laugh at the vastly superior. I took my husband2-3 hours to get home when he was released from work early for sewage problem. His work was near a metro link, I mean within walking distance. The problem is the Norwalk center and to other areas in OC. It's crap. The people that built the metro link was not thinking.
It took him an hour to drive for similar destinations.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:55 AM

Metrolink does not work for everybody but it saves me an hour a day over driving in from the IE. I've taken the train for over 15 years and would NEVER go back to driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles