Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:15 PM

61 posts, read 431,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Don't believe for a minute that Manhattan Beach USD is known for a rosy reputation in Special Ed. There was a landmark case recently that settled out of court for $6.7 million. The district had been neglecting to provide FAPE over several years and were trying to get away with murder. The "stepford" style of MBUSD has been infamous for greatly overlooking the needs of students with disabilities, and the whole subject is a hot topic for locals. They are trying to fix the problem, but it is too little and too late for some. Many in the community have vilified the children with special needs as being the black hole sucking away at all the money the schools have at their disposal. We are talking about a community where a 1 bedroom condo goes for more than $1,000,000. I would not allow my son to attend school there (he has been on an IEP since the first grade).

Special Ed is a whole different ball of wax than just which schools have the best reputation in general. As for the poster who mentioned that the school advised them into looking at private school because the district they were zoned to couldn't provide him with what he needed - you are aware, I hope, that the school must pay for that private education? If the district to which you are zoned is unable to meet the needs of a child to ensure a fair and appropriate education, then the school must pay for other accommodations.
Quite right about special ed. being a whole "different ball of wax" which is why my first sentence in my second reponse to the OP stated that very thing. So glad you reiterated that point for everyone though, especially for those who might not have experience with special ed. I think it is an important fact to share.

I'm not the OP but I posted about Manhattan Beach and Simi Unified. Special Ed. is a relative experience. From an educators perspective (my sister in law) her experience within special ed. as a teacher was favorable. This experience is clearly different than what parents and students incur. From her educators perspective Manhattan Beach was a dream relative to Torrance and LAUSD in special ed (two of the other districts she has taught in, poorly structured services, no supplies, no funds made available for curriculum materials needed to teach, routinely out of compliance with IEP dates/meetings). Relative to PVPUSD, Manhattan was lower than PVPUSD but higher in her opinion than LAUSD & Torrance.

Ah yes the ever present argument that special ed sucks the very life out of general ed. funding. I think it's true that in almost any district, special ed. is treated as the red-headed stepchild (no offense to any redheads out there). But that is something that could have a whole seperate post/debate on. I'm with you on this one and have been very active in my school district in relation to this issue. I haven't the energy for anger anymore on this but instead would encourage (and who knows you may already be) parents to become more actively involved in lobbying the state officials for our (special ed) funds that the U.S. Government has clearly allocated AND given to the state for special ed. that never seem to make to the district level.

Thanks also for the your input on the Simi Unified issue. We were aware of our/his rights and advocated/asserted his rights. As you know, with a child on an IEP we first try to attract the bees with honey but if that doesn't work---as they said in the Godfather "we take it to the matresses."

I try to focus on the positives and keep a sense of humor (all the while being ever mindful of the negatives and inevetible obstacles) otherwise I'd be the one who was left feeling as though the life was being sucked out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM

42 posts, read 221,075 times
go to lalife.com. it has all of the areas rated out of 10. burbank has a good school district.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:06 PM

61 posts, read 431,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie894 View Post
go to lalife.com. it has all of the areas rated out of 10. burbank has a good school district.
I'm sure the OP is aware since she is a special ed teacher but for those of you who are not experienced in special ed:

CA Special Ed. services/programs more often than not are omitted from the rating systems as the test scores of children in special ed. are typically not included in the state test results (unless the child is mainstreamed/fully included without testing accomodations for example).

A better gauge for referrals for special ed. would be personal experience indicators OR say district budgets that have a higher percentage of funding into their special ed. programs (though not a sole indicator.) IMHO.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:36 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,802 times
Arcadia wasn't mentioned and they claim to be #1.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
There are others; some have already been mentioned. Also, not all of the schools within LAUSD are in the "hood" and they are not all bad.
Of course, you're right -- and I shouldn't make that kind of generalization. My assumption, though, is that the better schools will have few, if any, openings. That's certainly how things are here in New York .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles