Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 01:22 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
John Marts, haven't you only been living in Los Angeles for a month or two?

OP, there's really no need to live in Sherman Oaks with your budget, and North Hollywood (please don't call it NoHo, or WeHo (West Hollywood)) is nothing terrible. Any native Angeleno or Los Angeles resident who's lived here for a long time knows this.

I agree with others, just live in Burbank. My favorite neighborhood around Burbank is Toluca Lake. It's safe and quiet, and you should be able to find something if not in that area, then around that area with your budget. Why live further out when you can afford something nearby where you'll be working?
Exactly. I work on Glendale/Burbank boarder. When I started the job I was living in Sherman Oaks. The commute wasn't terrible but it took 45 minutes most days. Now I live 3 miles away and get to work in 10-15 minutes. It doesn't make sense to make your commute worse than it needs to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 11:58 AM

283 posts, read 360,514 times
Thanks everyone.
Yeah, it sounds like just living in the Glendale/Burbank area is probably the best bet. I just wasn't seeing any housing in that area in my price range, but I've only been looking at apartments.com. I - like most people, probably - am pretty spoiled here with the new and shiny stuff, but obviously there's going to be some give and take.

It seems like a lot of apartments out there don't have washer/dryers in the unit? Is that common?

Old 03-15-2016, 04:40 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
Thanks everyone.
Yeah, it sounds like just living in the Glendale/Burbank area is probably the best bet. I just wasn't seeing any housing in that area in my price range, but I've only been looking at apartments.com. I - like most people, probably - am pretty spoiled here with the new and shiny stuff, but obviously there's going to be some give and take.

It seems like a lot of apartments out there don't have washer/dryers in the unit? Is that common?
Washer/dryer in unit is very rare anywhere around LA unless you are paying up for luxury apartments. Also most apartments don't seem to come with refrigerators either. Everything in your price range is going to be old but you might be able to at least find some places with newly renovated interiors...but it will likely be renovated with cheap home depot laminate floors and generic fixtures. I've also found that most places I've lived in around LA are severely lacking in built in lights. My current place has not built in lighting in living rooms or bed rooms so need to have a few lamps in every room. New construction is rare here and market is getting expensive and competitive so you are going to have to make compromises coming from Atlanta

Old 03-19-2016, 06:56 PM

283 posts, read 360,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Washer/dryer in unit is very rare anywhere around LA unless you are paying up for luxury apartments. Also most apartments don't seem to come with refrigerators either. Everything in your price range is going to be old but you might be able to at least find some places with newly renovated interiors...but it will likely be renovated with cheap home depot laminate floors and generic fixtures. I've also found that most places I've lived in around LA are severely lacking in built in lights. My current place has not built in lighting in living rooms or bed rooms so need to have a few lamps in every room. New construction is rare here and market is getting expensive and competitive so you are going to have to make compromises coming from Atlanta
Interesting. Yeah, it does seem that there's minimal new construction - at least at the higher end of my budget. It seems that what's different between Atlanta and LA is that the older places in LA seem to be at least kept up nicely. Yeah, they probably have the construction grade upgrades like you said, but at least it's something. In Atlanta, if the complex is over 10 years old, it mine as well be on the list to be razed.

I don't mind not having built-in lights. I rarely use mine and instead use my floor lamps and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles