U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:59 PM

78 posts, read 200,359 times

Advertisements

I really like what i have found out so far about south Pasadena (safety, good schools, museums) but I also would love not to be too far from the beaches! (We are relocating from MA, and being close to the ocean is one of the strongest insentives).
how long would it take to get to the nearest beach from there ?
THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,479,533 times
It takes me less than a minute to make that trip on Google Earth!
All kidding aside, the answer you seek can have many variables. On a good day, you can probably make it in about 45 minutes, but on a bad day, it could take well over 1 1/2 hours. It really depends on the traffic and road conditions at the time you want to make the trip. Santa Monica is probably about the closest beach, and all you'd have to do is head south to I-10, either on surface streets or on the 110 freeway, then head west to the end of the freeway, and you'll be there.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM

26 posts, read 82,393 times
It depends entirely on what time you are driving. i made that trip last month at 9:00 am on a Saturday and again on a Sunday (driving from Santa Monica to So. Pas.) in 20-25 minutes. i took the 10 driving through downtown LA. In rush hour, that would be impossible.

South Pas is an older, but very nice place. If you found an affordable place to live, it would be worth it. There are lots of trees and large lawns that make the area very pleasant. It is a great area to get out and take a walk. It is a safe neighborhood with good schools. The Norton Simon Museum is there, along with others. If you drive up just a few miles into Old Town Pasadena, you will find many restaurants and shops. It's close proximity to downtown Los Angeles makes it highly desirable. I lived in Pasadena for about 5 years and loved it.

If you time things right, you can do it in a half hour easily.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:02 PM

78 posts, read 200,359 times
Thanks to both of you for the prompt reply. It looks like it won't be something I would want to do every day...Do you have any suggestions? Our price range would be around $700 for a single family with 3 bedrooms, nice schools, safe, good diversity (educated immigrants a plus) and ... a 15 min. away form the ocean Am I being completely unrealistic? or does such a place exist?
THANKS!!!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 PM

2,072 posts, read 8,291,964 times
$700 ?????????? Triple it. Or more.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:31 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,514,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
$700 ?????????? Triple it. Or more.
i looked at that several times and finally concluded that the OP must have meant $700 THOUSAND to buy a house. while low for south pasadena, that's at least within the realm of possibility somewhere in the region, while the alternative doesn't even begin to make sense without some serious intoxicants involved!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:33 PM

6,540 posts, read 14,856,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anagrig View Post
,,Our price range would be around $700 for a single family with 3 bedrooms, nice schools, safe, good diversity (educated immigrants a plus) and ... a 15 min. away form the ocean Am I being completely unrealistic? or does such a place exist?
THANKS!!!
$2100 might get you a home within your needs.
Not within 15 minutes of the beach thou.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 PM

332 posts, read 1,501,994 times
Pasadena to the beach is 30-90 minutes depending on traffic. $700k for a 3bed in south pasadena would be tough to find and it would be a very, very small house. Do you already know where you'll be working? That is what you should base your residence on.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 PM

81 posts, read 220,286 times
are you working in s. pas? for the same price range you could live in a beach community with good schools, if the beach is a priority. btw, it is a great priority to have!!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 AM

37 posts, read 100,585 times
Default Please clarify your post - rent or own?

You'll not find much for rent ($700), or to own (700,000) in Pasadena/S Pas.
Go to this website to see housing prices, or/and some renting/leasing prices
TheMLS.com: Guests Site
I searched in both Pas and S. Pas for 3 bed/2 bath from 600-800,000 and only had 8 results - one short sale, one needed 100,000 to repair. Most seemed to be in the not nice areas of Pasadena, only one in S. Pas.

Check craigslist for apartment rentals too.

On a week end, you'll have to leave before 7:30 -8 AM to make it to the beach in less than 45min, otherwise it can take much longer than that (90 min+).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles