U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 3,373 times

Advertisements

I rent an illegal apartment in san fernando valley. It is an addition to the front house with separate entrance. I pay monthly rent and a utility charge each month to the owner who lives next door from our place. There is another apartment unit next to me on the back of the main and a guest house. We are all on the same water and power with the people who rent the main house in front. These people have not paid the water and power bill on several occassions and it has been shut off for 3 weeks at the longest last count during August (yay) I came home the other day to see a shut off notice on their front door. The owner refuses to evict these people or step in and put the utilities in her name, so this doesn't happen. What if anything can I do about this? Between myself, my neighbor and the guest house we all provide $360.00 towards the utility bill ($120.00 each) and it is always notated on the check I write to the owner for monthly rent. Do any of us have any legal recourse? Any advice from anyone who may have been through something similiar in the past ???
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 02:38 PM

434 posts, read 811,214 times
You can consult with an attorney via:

CES Tenants' Rights Clinic

Old 03-16-2016, 02:41 PM

Thanks! I will give it a shot!

Old 03-16-2016, 07:27 PM

3,405 posts, read 1,959,034 times
If you call the L.A. Department of Building & Safety, they will come out and find the owner under violation and could make them turn the split-up house back into one house again. However, you would then lose your apartment.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:28 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,779,994 times
I know someone who has made a career out of seeking out dirt cheap rental spaces (usually in garages) that are NOT zoned as living space. In other words the landlord is renting this space illegally. This someone who I know always stays there about a year then stops paying rent, promises to get caught up on rent, never does, finally gets kicked out, then lawyers up and sues and wins $10,000. He's done this at least twice.

So as a landlord I would not be doing any illegal renting.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
I know someone who has made a career out of seeking out dirt cheap rental spaces (usually in garages) that are NOT zoned as living space. In other words the landlord is renting this space illegally. This someone who I know always stays there about a year then stops paying rent, promises to get caught up on rent, never does, finally gets kicked out, then lawyers up and sues and wins $10,000. He's done this at least twice.

I am not usually in favor of doing something like that but in this situation, I think we are all at the ends of our ropes with these losers in the front house. Maybe just the threat of legal action would be enough to motivate the landlord to finally get these people out. Who knows, we may all end up out in the end, but to know there may be compensation, kind of makes the gamble worth it. I would have to talk to my neighbor next door and behind because something like this would effect all of us. Thank you

Old 03-17-2016, 12:23 PM

Might be worth it..don't see any end to the problem any other way. The landlord just doesn't seem to care what happens on this property as long as rent gets paid.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:52 PM

548 posts, read 309,991 times
Quote:

What is he suing for?

Living rent free is definitely a possibility, suing the landlord for damages doesn't make any sense.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:38 PM

13 posts, read 20,739 times
Quote:

wow... what a garbage bastard

Old 04-06-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcharles View Post
wow... what a garbage bastard
Couldn't agree more. People like that are what makes these situations awful to begin with. I am not looking to take advantage of anyone, I just don't want to keep being subjected to someone else's lack of responsibility by having no water and power when I am paying my share! Now it turns out that they also haven't paid the rent in the front for going on 2 months now, and NOW the landlord is threatening to evict all of us saying we are all on the same "master lease" when my rental agreement was between myself and the landlord, no one else. I spoke to an attorney yesterday who advised that I go to the housing department and file a complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles