U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 12:53 PM

893 posts, read 498,138 times

Advertisements

Just a word about this, LA's electronic music scene is taking off, but it's not established like the scenes in old power houses (Detroit and Chicago) or the new center for electronic music in NA: Miami. Just last Thursday I was at a yacht party here in Miami and met a DJ from Pasadena who was looking to bring some of the energy from Miami's scene to LA. So just a heads up.

Your best bet in LA is to find a roommate to minimize your budget and split a 2-bedroom.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 01:16 PM

958 posts, read 719,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
This post is laughably incorrect and silly. Good Lord.
I thought brooklyn was cheap these days...lol...

Old 03-28-2016, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 878 times
Forgot I posted this thread!

If possible I would like to be a graphic designer/illustrator for an electronic music label. I'm not looking to be a DJ or produce music, rather, I would like to be involved on a visual design level. I did make a connection with the UK/EU director of OWSLA while I was in Manchester recently and have him on Facebook. I am hoping that I forged enough of a connection for him to at least look at my portfolio or send it to the appropriate individual. For my final project at university I'm creating a mock record label and working with real time artists, creating their logos and album covers. Right now I'm focusing on finishing school and preparing my portfolio. I work part-time and I plan to go full time during the summer here in England and save up while I job hunt in new locations.

To the suggestion of London, after being in England for three years... it's just really not the place for me. I want to live somewhere warmer with a more individualistic laid back attitude. Plus, London is insanely expensive, in fact I would say that it is more so than LA. It's too busy as well, and I figure NYC would be similar so that puts those in the no category. I was considering Portland and Seattle, however I'm worried that they are too small and may not excite me enough. Plus the weather there is not fabulous, grey skies and rain like England. I'm not a fan of that anymore.

My parents put me through school so I have no debt whatsoever. I know it would probably to be more realistic to return home and save money to move, but the graphic design prospects are so low in Nebraska. It's not a place for a creative person to find a job and I'm tired of wasting my time working jobs that are unrelated to my career path. I'm so sick of the conservative, sheltered, small town mentality, and the fact that there's nothing to do. The weather is awful as well, unbearably humid hot summers and freezing cold winters. I would love to live somewhere that I could get outside and actually enjoy being outside.

What would a realistic estimate of monthly costs be like in LA? Rent for an apartment in a decent area, not glamorous, just as long as it's safe and has the basics. I don't mind if it's small, I live in a studio at the moment. Roommates are fine as well, as that seems the only realistic option. Food? Gas? Utilities? Etc?

Do you think this is too much of a stretch or should I give it a shot if I've got a decent paying job lined up? I'm a pretty ambitious person and I'm willing to work hard for what I want. Worst case scenario, I move out there and find that I'm in way over my head and return home to live with my parents for a bit while I figure something else out.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 AM

166 posts, read 90,627 times
I moved from London to LA 2.5 years ago. Yes, London is DEFINITELY more expensive, but both cities have pros and cons in terms of costs.

You can get a room for about $800-900 in a nice area, like Sherman Oaks. A studio would be about $1,100-1,400 and a decent 1 BR for $1,400-1,600. This is in safe/nice areas but nothing fancy. I don't advise going cheaper for a worse neighborhood.

Utilities $150-ish/mo.
Food - I spend about $300/mo and eat well.
Gas - depends. I spend $200/mo for a V6 mustang, but I don't drive a lot.

Don't listen to the negative stuff. If you're okay with living frugally, you can live in LA even on a minimum wage. You just need to adjust your lifestyle, that's all. There's nothing unusual or mythical about living in LA. It's just expensive.

You'll be fine. Millions of people have already done this.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:33 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,994,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post
I moved from London to LA 2.5 years ago. Yes, London is DEFINITELY more expensive, but both cities have pros and cons in terms of costs.

You can get a room for about $800-900 in a nice area, like Sherman Oaks. A studio would be about $1,100-1,400 and a decent 1 BR for $1,400-1,600. This is in safe/nice areas but nothing fancy. I don't advise going cheaper for a worse neighborhood.

Utilities $150-ish/mo.
Food - I spend about $300/mo and eat well.
Gas - depends. I spend $200/mo for a V6 mustang, but I don't drive a lot.

Don't listen to the negative stuff. If you're okay with living frugally, you can live in LA even on a minimum wage. You just need to adjust your lifestyle, that's all. There's nothing unusual or mythical about living in LA. It's just expensive.

You'll be fine. Millions of people have already done this.
^^^ This.

You can carve out a niche in LA. Yes it is expensive and you will have to adjust to that. But it is an exciting city for figuring who you are and what you want your life to be.

Save as a much money as you can and move.

Don't be too discouraged by the negative Nellies on this board. Try reading blogs like CurbedLA; their "What $1500 a month gets you in LA" - type articles are pretty fun and give a better sense of where to look and what the decent but still (relatively) affordable neighborhoods are.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or