U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 878 times

Advertisements

So, I'm considering moving out to Los Angeles with my best friend. I'm 21 years old, about to graduate with a Bachelor's in graphic design. I work really hard, I love what I do, and will be graduating at a high standard. I am very passionate about electronic dance music (and have been since I was 16) and would love to be involved with that creatively, if possible. The music scene is what is driving me to move here, so that I can find the right opportunities and make connections with the right people. Even in little Lincoln, Nebraska (where I'm from) I have been able to make strong connections with the people involved in the electronic music scene there.

Currently, I reside in northeast England, where I have been living independently and studying since I turned 18. I'm craving to go to a place with more diversity and culture, more liberal minded people, better food, more to do, a great music scene, and good weather. From what I've read, the things I'm worried about most are cost of living, water, and traffic.

I've racked up quite a few sky miles from flying between the US and the UK so that I can snag a cheap plane ticket from NE to LA. I'd like to browse apartments and get a feel for things before I make this decision. We are aiming to spend around $1200 a month on a 1 or 2 bed apartment. I've been saving money for a little under a year now, and have about $3600 at the moment. I will be back in the US by August and want to get out to LA by November/December if possible. If so, I should have about $5000 by then if not more saved. My friend has about $8000 saved up at the moment. Both of us have cars.

The only way I will move is if I have a secure job lined up first. I'm confident that I can make this happen, although I understand that it might be harder than expected. Luckily, I come from a wealthy family so I always have a failsafe if all goes wrong. However, I expect to receive less support from them after I finish school. I can go back home if I bomb, but it would be a nightmare to end up back in Nebraska at square one. I'm also a bit worried about my friend, he has a felony on his record for attempt to sell weed. I'm afraid that it will affect his job prospects, but I would really like to have someone to split cost of living with.

Any thoughts? (I may think of more things to add once I get some feedback)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 01:52 PM

808 posts, read 661,103 times
As you've said, only come out to LA if you're got a job lined up first. You're going to blow through your savings very quickly if you don't have a job and even though you said your parents can help, I'm sure you don't want to lean on them if you don't have to.

Also, you won't find a 1-2 bedroom for $1,200 in a good area unless you settle for an old apartment with no amenities. Be prepared to lower your expectations for LA housing if $1,200/month is your upper limit.

Also, I'm a little confused as to whether graphic design job is your primary goal or if it's just a financial means so you can pursue an EDM career. The EDM market in LA is pretty saturated so you'll definitely need to grind hard to make good connections and try to get noticed.

Out of curiosity, since you're already in England, have you thought about going to London to pursue EDM. There's a great scene over there with better EDM clubs than LA in my opinion. For instance, Fabric blows anything in LA out of the water. Plus, London has all those things you want like great diversity/culture, more liberal minded people, and great food - it's just lacking in the "good weather" department. But if you've done your time in England and just want to come back to the U.S., I understand.

And don't worry about the water, there's still enough so you don't die of thirst. You won't need to worry about watering a lawn if you're going to be in an apartment.

Also, forget your so called friend. If I knew someone who sold weed and got a felony, I'd drop them in two seconds. Unless your friend was in dire financial straits to the point where he was so desperate that he felt the need to sell drugs so that he wouldn't go homeless as a matter of survival, there's no excuse for that. He sounds like someone who will drag you down.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:14 PM

4,506 posts, read 2,778,290 times
You probably won't even find a 1 bedroom for $1200 in any neighborhood you'd want to live in. Take a look at Craigslist and Padmapper to get a realistic idea of what rental market is like. My 2 bedroom is going up $400/mo after one year. Rent is getting very expensive and very competitive. It's a landlords market

Old 03-18-2016, 04:37 PM

375 posts, read 315,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
You probably won't even find a 1 bedroom for $1200 in any neighborhood you'd want to live in. Take a look at Craigslist and Padmapper to get a realistic idea of what rental market is like. My 2 bedroom is going up $400/mo after one year. Rent is getting very expensive and very competitive. It's a landlords market
Have to say I agree with this. The rent increases in the desirable parts of CA can be brutal! It's not unheard of in LA or Silicon Valley/SF to hear of 10-15% rent increases each year.

Definitely take a look at Craigslist and Pad Mapper, as suggested above. This will be a good eye opener for you to get a better picture of what rents are really like.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:48 PM

98 posts, read 119,699 times
Not to shatter your CA dreams...

But, you will find it much easier to launch a USA life via NYC than LA

There are 8 million people in NYC and at best 500,000 in any CA./LA locale (ie, LA city, Westside, Valley, OC, etc) where you might actually live/work.

Your chances are exponentially higher of finding an apartment, job, gigs, performance venues, freelance work in a city like NYC v. a suburban locale in LA.

For example, with $100 Metro card you can literally take care of 30 days of travel ALL over NYC 24/7 to find work, apts, food, pals, mates/dates v. paying $100s in not 1000s to get a car, parking, gas, tickets, towing, accidents in LA.

You could go to 6 interviews in NYC in one day v. 1-2 in LA at best with highways, traffic, etc

You could shack up with 2-4 other artists in Brooklyn, Queens, etc in NYC v. trolling Craigslist in LA to find flophouses.

There are 100,000s Brits in NYC trying to do what you are doing v. 100s in LA...in my est.

LA is a place where you come if you have established some creative work or a book/portfolio of business or have CONTACTS; otherwise you will be one of 1000s pursuing their delusional dreams of waitering.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 AM

958 posts, read 719,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
As you've said, only come out to LA if you're got a job lined up first. You're going to blow through your savings very quickly if you don't have a job and even though you said your parents can help, I'm sure you don't want to lean on them if you don't have to.

Also, you won't find a 1-2 bedroom for $1,200 in a good area unless you settle for an old apartment with no amenities. Be prepared to lower your expectations for LA housing if $1,200/month is your upper limit.

Also, I'm a little confused as to whether graphic design job is your primary goal or if it's just a financial means so you can pursue an EDM career. The EDM market in LA is pretty saturated so you'll definitely need to grind hard to make good connections and try to get noticed.

Out of curiosity, since you're already in England, have you thought about going to London to pursue EDM. There's a great scene over there with better EDM clubs than LA in my opinion. For instance, Fabric blows anything in LA out of the water. Plus, London has all those things you want like great diversity/culture, more liberal minded people, and great food - it's just lacking in the "good weather" department. But if you've done your time in England and just want to come back to the U.S., I understand.

And don't worry about the water, there's still enough so you don't die of thirst. You won't need to worry about watering a lawn if you're going to be in an apartment.

Also, forget your so called friend. If I knew someone who sold weed and got a felony, I'd drop them in two seconds. Unless your friend was in dire financial straits to the point where he was so desperate that he felt the need to sell drugs so that he wouldn't go homeless as a matter of survival, there's no excuse for that. He sounds like someone who will drag you down.
Lol... lets get this straight.. you like edm clubs... but have a thing against people who sell herb. Theres a first!

Old 03-19-2016, 09:18 AM

958 posts, read 719,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Agreed, up your budget for rent, OP. Too low...

Old 03-19-2016, 11:12 AM

4,506 posts, read 2,778,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC View Post

There are 8 million people in NYC and at best 500,000 in any CA./LA locale (ie, LA city, Westside, Valley, OC, etc) where you might actually live/work.

Your chances are exponentially higher of finding an apartment, job, gigs, performance venues, freelance work in a city like NYC v. a suburban locale in LA.

For example, with $100 Metro card you can literally take care of 30 days of travel ALL over NYC 24/7 to find work, apts, food, pals, mates/dates v. paying $100s in not 1000s to get a car, parking, gas, tickets, towing, accidents in LA.

You could go to 6 interviews in NYC in one day v. 1-2 in LA at best with highways, traffic, etc

You could shack up with 2-4 other artists in Brooklyn, Queens, etc in NYC v. trolling Craigslist in LA to find flophouses.

There are 100,000s Brits in NYC trying to do what you are doing v. 100s in LA...in my est.

LA is a place where you come if you have established some creative work or a book/portfolio of business or have CONTACTS; otherwise you will be one of 1000s pursuing their delusional dreams of waitering.
The main "LA locale" that people talk about is LA County which has over 10 million people. You can't compare NYC and LA they are too different. And last I checked NYC is still much more expensive than LA. I'm also not into emd but people tell me LA is the place to be for it in the US

Old 03-19-2016, 01:32 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,668,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireClover View Post
So, I'm considering moving out to Los Angeles with my best friend. I'm 21 years old, about to graduate with a Bachelor's in graphic design. I work really hard, I love what I do, and will be graduating at a high standard. I am very passionate about electronic dance music (and have been since I was 16) and would love to be involved with that creatively, if possible. The music scene is what is driving me to move here, so that I can find the right opportunities and make connections with the right people. Even in little Lincoln, Nebraska (where I'm from) I have been able to make strong connections with the people involved in the electronic music scene there.

Currently, I reside in northeast England, where I have been living independently and studying since I turned 18. I'm craving to go to a place with more diversity and culture, more liberal minded people, better food, more to do, a great music scene, and good weather. From what I've read, the things I'm worried about most are cost of living, water, and traffic.

I've racked up quite a few sky miles from flying between the US and the UK so that I can snag a cheap plane ticket from NE to LA. I'd like to browse apartments and get a feel for things before I make this decision. We are aiming to spend around $1200 a month on a 1 or 2 bed apartment. I've been saving money for a little under a year now, and have about $3600 at the moment. I will be back in the US by August and want to get out to LA by November/December if possible. If so, I should have about $5000 by then if not more saved. My friend has about $8000 saved up at the moment. Both of us have cars.

The only way I will move is if I have a secure job lined up first. I'm confident that I can make this happen, although I understand that it might be harder than expected. Luckily, I come from a wealthy family so I always have a failsafe if all goes wrong. However, I expect to receive less support from them after I finish school. I can go back home if I bomb, but it would be a nightmare to end up back in Nebraska at square one. I'm also a bit worried about my friend, he has a felony on his record for attempt to sell weed. I'm afraid that it will affect his job prospects, but I would really like to have someone to split cost of living with.

Any thoughts? (I may think of more things to add once I get some feedback)
Yes, when you're done with school in England, move back to NE and stay there a couple of years. How much debt are you carrying in student loans? You said your family is wealthy so maybe the paid for your education.

Regardless, you need way more than $5,000, you need at least 6 months of living expenses.

Forget your "friend", of course it's going to hurt his job prospects and you in the process. You may very well have problems renting with him being a felon.

Revisit this idea in a couple of years, get a job locally, live with your parents and save up more money.

You're very young, you can revisit this when you're 23 have had some real work experience and $20K saved up to move.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:46 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,356,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC View Post
This post is laughably incorrect and silly. Good Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or