U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:11 AM

548 posts, read 310,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
But that's not useful data. We're not talking about commerce. We're talking about population. Duh.
Yeah I forgot there's no population in OC or the IE. How could I be so dense.

The fact those areas exist and have 9 million people living there has a dramatic effect on RE prices and traffic congestion (which in turn pumps up RE prices in desirable areas) in LA county and/or city. Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 10:38 AM

24,162 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
That is absolutely pathetic . A complete ****box going for almost a million dollars
The $799k house is a complete S box?
Or are you talking about the 640k one? $640k isn't almost a million though..
Neither is 799k really.

Burbank home prices are not cheap. For a while it was cheap or more reasonable to live in Burbank..but now it's not that way. You are paying the premium for low crime neighborhood, better schools, close to jobs especially studios/entertainment jobs and a decent location. I think as neighborhoods more East of the Westside have become more popular Burbank has likely benefited from this. In Burbank you are a lot closer to areas like Hollywood, Atwater Village,SilverLake and Downtown L.A versus being on the Westside.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:54 PM

3,007 posts, read 4,870,355 times
It's always been this way?

It's just the numbers have changed.

Also it heavily depends on the area.

In Whittier you could get a single family home for 320-350k, but it's a fixer and in a bad neighborhood. To have a decent house in an OK neighborhood you're looking at 425-475k. For a better home in a bit nicer neighborhood (still may need work) you're looking at 500-600k.

And for a move in ready, nice neighborhood home you're looking at 650-700k+. And by move in ready, meaning just that you can move into it. The appliances and other amenities might be outdated, even at this price point.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:16 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
Yeah I forgot there's no population in OC or the IE. How could I be so dense.

The fact those areas exist and have 9 million people living there has a dramatic effect on RE prices and traffic congestion (which in turn pumps up RE prices in desirable areas) in LA county and/or city. Duh.
That makes zero sense. We're talking about the population of a specific area so the people who commute to that area for work should be counted? And what does traffic have to do with anything? You are very clearly confused and upset about it.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:36 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,577,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Also LA city population went from 2.8 million in 1970 to 3.9 million in 2015.
So when I hear people say 'everybody is moving here' or 'so many people are moving here', it really isn't true.
The largest increase for the city was during the 1980s, which is perhaps the last time it grew tremendously. The home prices seemed reasonable until the 2000s.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
That makes zero sense. We're talking about the population of a specific area so the people who commute to that area for work should be counted? And what does traffic have to do with anything? You are very clearly confused and upset about it.
Let me know when you have a solid grasp on RE economics.

To answer your question, traffic influences drive time. Drive time to job and retail centers influences home prices. Also commuters put immense pressure on demand for housing as the vast majority live so far away because of price, not choice.

I take knowing these things granted, but I guess some people don't even understand simple things like bid rent theory.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Let me know when you have a solid grasp on RE economics.

To answer your question, traffic influences drive time. Drive time to job and retail centers influences home prices. Also commuters put immense pressure on demand for housing as the vast majority live so far away because of price, not choice.

I take knowing these things granted, but I guess some people don't even understand simple things like bid rent theory.
It's always the clueless ones that are also the smug ones.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
It's always the clueless ones that are also the smug ones.
Keep telling yourself that. I have an mred and work in the industry.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that. I have an mred and work in the industry.
My dad works at Nintendo.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
My dad works at Nintendo.
Yeah that's about your level of understanding of RE too. It's quite obvious. Don't actually have a real response nor can you validate any of your points. Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or