U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 12:53 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,325,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribes View Post
That poster was right.. i.e. tents were going up pass Broadway etc.. and Skid row was even more crowded... Now not so much..
What is your baseline of comparison: 10 years ago or 1 year ago? I say they are more spread around DTLA today as compared to 10-15 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 12:58 AM

184 posts, read 94,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
What is your baseline of comparison: 10 years ago or 1 year ago? I say they are more spread around DTLA today as compared to 10-15 years ago.
the past in general..

Old 03-19-2016, 06:33 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,165,432 times
I don't know....There may have been more people in the streets, but I remember when homeless were burning trashcans in the middle of the street on broadway at night near were the ACE Hotel is now.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:04 AM

3,435 posts, read 2,136,474 times
The goverment drove 26 acre Alladan Bros junkyard in Sun Valley out of business with taxes, regulations, and minimum wage increases. Move them there where thay can make it a drugs, alcohol, and pervert paradise.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:16 AM

2,544 posts, read 3,318,833 times
Quote:
The gentrification of skid row is very unlikely for a variety of reasons:

1. The SRO's are protected as affordable housing. Ten years ago developers had their eyes on them for conversion to hotels and/or market rate apartments. The city passed an ordinance 10 years ago preventing conversion of SRO's to anything but affordable housing. The majority of SRO's in LA (and downtown) are in concentrated in Skid Row.

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/n...4a41fac23.html

2. The so called "containment" policy which concentrated homeless services on Skid Row has been in place for decades and given the rampant NIMBYISM (Not in My Backyard) in LA, this is VERY unlikely to ever change. People are outraged about building high rises in Hollywood. You want homeless services dispersed? Not likely. DLTA/Skid Row will remain ground zero for the homeless for the foreseeable future.

3. The homeless issue is a political hot potato and nobody wants to touch it, not the feds, not the governor, etc. The city and county pay lip service to doing something but the policies, resources and political will required to make a serious dent in the issue are lacking.

Saving any major shift in the above items, don't hold your breath for any major changes on Skid Row.
The jail plays a huge role as well. People get released with nowhere to go and walk down the street to skid row.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:31 AM

2,544 posts, read 3,318,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Perhaps you would like to put them in FEMA camps?

How awful to have those court rulings huh? Perhaps you would like it to be like Nazi Germany? Problem with that is after the homeless, whom do you round up next?

I think you're better off in NY.
Melodramatic much? Yeesh. I don't think anyone wants to criminalize homelessness but at the same time as a society we have an expectation that everyone follows the same set of laws. What the courts have done is determine that not all laws apply the same to everyone or everywhere. That's the crazy part to me.

But to answer the OP, things will change when the mindset that homeless encampments like skid row are the most humanitarian answer. To me it's like the projects. Cities used to concentrate the poor in large areas of subsidized housing and it usually turned out badly. Decentralization seems to be better for most cities. The same could be true for the homeless. I suspect that much of the sentiment from those around the city to maintain a centralized area for the homeless is not entirely altruistic.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:53 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,012,809 times
I can't argue with what you say, but the homeless are already spreading out further than just Downtown L.A. I can't even go for a walk in my local park without seeing homeless people, and they're definitely congregating in the Sepulveda Basin.

Shipping them elsewhere, like to San Bernardino, wouldn't work at all. You'd hear the screaming from hundreds of miles away!

Part of the problem is that homeless people seem to be lumped into one big category, when in reality they all have different needs. Some are strung out on drugs and/or alcohol, some are mentally ill, and some are just people who got evicted or whatever, and couldn't afford another apartment.

For the ones who are mentally ill, we need to reopen the mental hospitals, because obviously the merry-go-round of "arrest, jail, and release" isn't working. People may whine about the expense, but it's already expensive to arrest people, process them through the system, and then put them out on the streets again. I'd hate to be a police officer; it must be so discouraging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Visiting LA again, and seeing all the new stuff downtown, I wonder what's going to happen to Skid Row. Ultimately for Downtown to fully be there they have got to move all that out. Where would they place them though, as they have to be put somewhere.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:19 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
I disagree. There are more residents (non-homeless) and visitors in downtown than 10 or 15 years ago which creates a greater variety of people in Downtown.

The homeless are more spread around downtown (including the tent cities along the 110 freeway) than they used to be. Skid Row is still king. But the court rulings you eluded to earlier prevent any effective police effort at forcing the homeless to stay in Skid Row.
They are not allowed to place tents anywhere outside of skid row. That in and of itself is containment, not allowing them to sleep/erect tents elsewhere. I've also seen cops stop homeless people outside of Skid Row, and process/arrest them. They are contained or as I heard one homeless person say, harassed by the police.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:22 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I can't argue with what you say, but the homeless are already spreading out further than just Downtown L.A. I can't even go for a walk in my local park without seeing homeless people, and they're definitely congregating in the Sepulveda Basin.

Shipping them elsewhere, like to San Bernardino, wouldn't work at all. You'd hear the screaming from hundreds of miles away!

Part of the problem is that homeless people seem to be lumped into one big category, when in reality they all have different needs. Some are strung out on drugs and/or alcohol, some are mentally ill, and some are just people who got evicted or whatever, and couldn't afford another apartment.

For the ones who are mentally ill, we need to reopen the mental hospitals, because obviously the merry-go-round of "arrest, jail, and release" isn't working. People may whine about the expense, but it's already expensive to arrest people, process them through the system, and then put them out on the streets again. I'd hate to be a police officer; it must be so discouraging!
Agreed. Those who have total and permanent mental disability need to be hospitalized. Others with mental illness may just need therapy, medication, or some combination of the two. Being placed in more stable environments helps them restore functionality. There's also a difference between mental illness and total mental disability.

And yes there's a difference between someone who just couldn't afford housing, from those who are homeless due to addiction, or those who are homeless due to mental disability.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:04 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,325,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They are not allowed to place tents anywhere outside of skid row. That in and of itself is containment, not allowing them to sleep/erect tents elsewhere. I've also seen cops stop homeless people outside of Skid Row, and process/arrest them. They are contained or as I heard one homeless person say, harassed by the police.
That is false. You can see tents with homeless people every night OUTSIDE of skid row. Read this LA Times article if you don't believe me. I see it every day as I work in DTLA.

What those homeless camps along L.A.'s freeways mean for a public space once above it all - LA Times

Under the settlement agreement, the homeless are allowed to sleep on sidewalks nightly anywhere (not just on skid row). There is a requirement for the homeless to roll their tents up between 6am and 9pm.

L.A. vote makes it easier to break up homeless camps - LA Times

http://www.dailynews.com/social-affa...ncampments-not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles