U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:18 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,037,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
That is false. You can see tents with homeless people every night OUTSIDE of skid row. Read this LA Times article if you don't believe me. I see it every day as I work in DTLA.

What those homeless camps along L.A.'s freeways mean for a public space once above it all - LA Times

Under the settlement agreement, the homeless are allowed to sleep on sidewalks nightly anywhere (not just on skid row). There is a requirement for the homeless to roll their tents up between 6am and 9pm.

L.A. vote makes it easier to break up homeless camps - LA Times

New rules for Los Angeles homeless: Tents OK, encampments not
This. NYRumorDude spreading false info once again. Hobo tent cities are all over downtown (and other parts of LA for that matter) and are not just contained to skid row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 08:20 PM

184 posts, read 94,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Hobo tent cities are all over downtown (and other parts of LA for that matter) and are not just contained to skid row.
Not whole blocks..

And not as massive..

Old 03-19-2016, 08:29 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribes View Post
Not whole blocks..

And not as massive..
Yes, whole blocks. The area north of the civic center and south of Chinatown might as well be Skid Row 2.0.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Yes, whole blocks. The area north of the civic center and south of Chinatown might as well be Skid Row 2.0.
Really?? Skid row like takes it to a whole nother level.

Last edited by Tribes; 03-19-2016 at 09:17 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,628,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They are not allowed to place tents anywhere outside of skid row. That in and of itself is containment, not allowing them to sleep/erect tents elsewhere. I've also seen cops stop homeless people outside of Skid Row, and process/arrest them. They are contained or as I heard one homeless person say, harassed by the police.

You couldn't be more wrong. You see them under freeway overpasses. One example is under the 134 freeway heading towards Pasadena.

There was also several tents for several on Melrose near Vermont, not even downtown LA, never mind Skid Row.

People who actually live here have more of an understanding and experience than someone who visits.

Quote:
That is false. You can see tents with homeless people every night OUTSIDE of skid row. Read this LA Times article if you don't believe me. I see it every day as I work in DTLA.

What those homeless camps along L.A.'s freeways mean for a public space once above it all - LA Times

Under the settlement agreement, the homeless are allowed to sleep on sidewalks nightly anywhere (not just on skid row). There is a requirement for the homeless to roll their tents up between 6am and 9pm.

L.A. vote makes it easier to break up homeless camps - LA Times

New rules for Los Angeles homeless: Tents OK, encampments not
Absolutely right.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. You see them under freeway overpasses. One example is under the 134 freeway heading towards Pasadena.

There was also several tents for several on Melrose near Vermont, not even downtown LA, never mind Skid Row.

People who actually live here have more of an understanding and experience than someone who visits.
They don't enforce it.. its not really allowed..

In skid row its like allowed..

Old 03-19-2016, 09:53 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,325,253 times
Quote:
They don't enforce it.. its not really allowed..

In skid row its like allowed
That is not correct and has not been true for nearly a decade.

From the LA Times in 2007, "Under the new deal, the homeless can sleep on sidewalks from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. anywhere in the city as long as they do not block access to doorways or driveways or completely block the sidewalk."

This is still in effect today although there have been many twists and turns in the city's battles in the courts over this issue.

Deal on sidewalk camping reached - latimes

Old 03-19-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
That is not correct and has not been true for nearly a decade.

From the LA Times in 2007, "Under the new deal, the homeless can sleep on sidewalks from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. anywhere in the city as long as they do not block access to doorways or driveways or completely block the sidewalk."

This is still in effect today although there have been many twists and turns in the city's battles in the courts over this issue.

Deal on sidewalk camping reached - latimes
forgot or didn't feel the need to add the times in my post....

You can't really have tents up and never taken down 24/7 in nearly all places outside of skid row....

Last edited by Tribes; 03-19-2016 at 10:20 PM..

Old 03-20-2016, 03:01 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,325,253 times
Quote:

You can't really have tents up and never taken down 24/7 in nearly all places outside of skid row....
Both of these photos were taken this afternoon (about 1pm). The first one is the freeway underpass (110 Freeway) along 8th street in Downtown. The second is on Wilshire Blvd in Central City West (west of the 110 freeway).

Of course, Skid Row is the epicenter...I don't think anyone in this thread has disputed that.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-underpass.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...shire-no-2.jpg

Old 03-20-2016, 11:30 PM

1,015 posts, read 737,884 times
Quote:

The tents are up 24 hours a day on Vermont by LACC and at Vermont and Hollywood at the Los Feliz Triangle. LAPD doesn't enforce the rules anymore, or when they do, they allow them to move across the street for the day.

Last edited by Texamichiforniasota; 03-20-2016 at 11:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles