U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 11:34 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
This. NYRumorDude spreading false info once again. Hobo tent cities are all over downtown (and other parts of LA for that matter) and are not just contained to skid row.
Not true. You don't see tent cities in the financial district. Nor do you see them next to the central district with Whole Foods.

I wonder if you guys even go downtown.

You don't even see tent cities on Broadway, which has somewhat cleaned up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Both of these photos were taken this afternoon (about 1pm). The first one is the freeway underpass (110 Freeway) along 8th street in Downtown. The second is on Wilshire Blvd in Central City West (west of the 110 freeway).

Of course, Skid Row is the epicenter...I don't think anyone in this thread has disputed that.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-underpass.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...shire-no-2.jpg
Under a free way overpass where clearly no one is going to bother them because they aren't blocking access to a building, and people just drive by them.

That's not the same as placing tents outside lofts, bars, restaurants, retail stores, or other business interests that would call the police and make the cops clear them OUT.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
That is false. You can see tents with homeless people every night OUTSIDE of skid row. Read this LA Times article if you don't believe me. I see it every day as I work in DTLA.

What those homeless camps along L.A.'s freeways mean for a public space once above it all - LA Times

Under the settlement agreement, the homeless are allowed to sleep on sidewalks nightly anywhere (not just on skid row). There is a requirement for the homeless to roll their tents up between 6am and 9pm.

L.A. vote makes it easier to break up homeless camps - LA Times

New rules for Los Angeles homeless: Tents OK, encampments not
Yet outside of freeway overpasses, you don't see those tents or homeless people sleeping in large numbers in front of major stores, residents, etc. Those businesses and people would call the police.

Which is why homeless outside of skid row find overpasses, sleep on the buses at nights, or find other places where the cops will not bother them.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:50 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,038,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not true. You don't see tent cities in the financial district. Nor do you see them next to the central district with Whole Foods.

I wonder if you guys even go downtown.

You don't even see tent cities on Broadway, which has somewhat cleaned up.
I work in downtown. You visit on occasion?

New York forum is that way ---------->

Old 03-21-2016, 10:12 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Quote:
Under a free way overpass where clearly no one is going to bother them because they aren't blocking access to a building, and people just drive by them.

That's not the same as placing tents outside lofts, bars, restaurants, retail stores, or other business interests that would call the police and make the cops clear them OUT.

Wrong again. As I already posted right off Melrose and slightly west of Vermont there was an encampment for several months. It was across the street from an office building, several other businesses, including a popular bar. It went the whole length of the street, there must have 25 or 30 tents lined up in a row.

Now eventually it was cleared out but it was there for a few months.

Again, you don't live here, you visit a few times and think you know things.

I was born in NYC, grew up in the suburbs, and visited for the first time in years in 2014, so I know my knowledge is limited on the NY of today.

Yours is the same on LA....limited.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Wrong again. As I already posted right off Melrose and slightly west of Vermont there was an encampment for several months. It was across the street from an office building, several other businesses, including a popular bar. It went the whole length of the street, there must have 25 or 30 tents lined up in a row.

Now eventually it was cleared out but it was there for a few months.

Again, you don't live here, you visit a few times and think you know things.

I was born in NYC, grew up in the suburbs, and visited for the first time in years in 2014, so I know my knowledge is limited on the NY of today.

Yours is the same on LA....limited.
Being from a place though does not mean your knowledge is all encompassing. Using the NYC as an example, in my daily life I don't go to most of NYC. What goes on in Staten Island does not concern me as I am never there. I do not go to the Bronx, and I really am rarely in Brooklyn. I occasionally am Queens, and to tell you the truth these days I am rarely in lower Manhattan.

LA is the same. People live localized lives and a huge percentage of them may not be aware or care beyond their own neighborhood.

Even you had to admit that a homeless encampment was cleared out when it was in front of an office building and several other businesses. Why? Because like in ANY city in the country, said businesses called the cops and kept calling the city until they made them remove the homeless encampment.

Businesses don't tolerate this stuff, nor do rich people. I didn't see any homeless encampments in Beverly Hills, nor did I see any in West Hollywood. I wonder why? (Affluent parts of town for starters). In fact residents don't even have to be rich. Even in reasonably middle class areas, residents act to prevent lots of people loitering. I've even seen police officers harass a homeless guy in Weho.

There is no way in hell any of you are all over LA on a regular basis. The county is too big.

You really should check yourselves and your insecurities if you're threatened by my posts. Unlike you I don't need to claim expertise, nor am I frightened by anyone's posts.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:13 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Quote:
Being from a place though does not mean your knowledge is all encompassing. Using the NYC as an example, in my daily life I don't go to most of NYC. What goes on in Staten Island does not concern me as I am never there. I do not go to the Bronx, and I really am rarely in Brooklyn. I occasionally am Queens, and to tell you the truth these days I am rarely in lower Manhattan.

LA is the same. People live localized lives and a huge percentage of them may not be aware or care beyond their own neighborhood.

Even you had to admit that a homeless encampment was cleared out when it was in front of an office building and several other businesses. Why? Because like in ANY city in the country, said businesses called the cops and kept calling the city until they made them remove the homeless encampment.

Businesses don't tolerate this stuff, nor do rich people. I didn't see any homeless encampments in Beverly Hills, nor did I see any in West Hollywood. I wonder why? (Affluent parts of town for starters). In fact residents don't even have to be rich. Even in reasonably middle class areas, residents act to prevent lots of people loitering. I've even seen police officers harass a homeless guy in Weho.

There is no way in hell any of you are all over LA on a regular basis. The county is too big.

You really should check yourselves and your insecurities if you're threatened by my posts. Unlike you I don't need to claim expertise, nor am I frightened by anyone's posts.
None of us are threatened by your posts.

You're posting incorrect information. End of story.

I love how you ignored my comments about the homeless camp that was near Melrose/Vermont for several months.

Nothing to do with insecurity, you're posting incorrect information. Even if you lived here I would point that out.

The fact that you don't live in LA and our basing you observations on visits makes it worse.

And I'm not claiming "expertise" I am commenting on what I see here. I'm not the only one. Astral Weeks posted pictures just taken showing people under freeway overpasses, than you back peddled and said that they don't count....LOL.

I added about what was going on at Melrose just west of Vermont, with one next to another up the whole length of the street and you twisted what I said, because it was in a business district and across from a bar. It's not like it was there for a couple of days or a couple of weeks, it was for many months.

Yes, it was cleared out but it was there for several months. I asked a business owner about what happened and they said the LAPD used water hoses on them at night, if that is true than that's pretty scary. Very "Soylent Green".

You can't admit you were wrong about the homeless only staying on Skid Row.

Last edited by seain dublin; 03-21-2016 at 05:42 PM..

Old 03-21-2016, 04:21 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,628,033 times
I find it quite pathetic that one of the richest cities in the world has that sort of scene.

looks worse than a 3rd world country and its such a turn off.

can't help but LMAO @ anyone who lives downtown.

brb spending a fortune on rent or buying something super expensive like 600k+
brb walking out of the apartment and witnessing a hobo take a dump
brb tents all over the sidewalks
brb bums laying down on side walks
brb **** stench

quite pathetic if you ask me.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 PM

3,435 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Quote:
I am posting here every day and there is nothing you can do to stop me. Get used to it, or stop posting here yourself. I really could careless.
There is that little red triangle thing at the top right corner.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:33 PM

1,015 posts, read 738,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Yes, it was cleared out but it was there for several months. I asked a business owner about what happened and they said the LAPD used water hoses on them at night, if that is true than that's pretty scary. Very "Soylent Green".

You can't admit you were wrong about the homeless only staying on Skid Row.
If you are talking about the encampment by LACC on Vermont, you're both wrong as it's still there and popped back up less than a week after it was cleaned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles