U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:42 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,628,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
If you are talking about the encampment by LACC on Vermont, you're both wrong as it's still there and popped back up less than a week after it was cleaned.
No, I said on Melrose a block or so west of Vermont. It is a one way street on the north side of Melrose. It was there for several months and is now gone.

The point is the OP is wrong about homeless camps only being on Skid Row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 12:20 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,325,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Under a free way overpass where clearly no one is going to bother them because they aren't blocking access to a building, and people just drive by them.

That's not the same as placing tents outside lofts, bars, restaurants, retail stores, or other business interests that would call the police and make the cops clear them OUT.
Nice try moving the goal posts. But your initial claim was this below:

Quote:
They are not allowed to place tents anywhere outside of skid row. .
As has been shown through pictures and links, the homeless are allowed to place tents outside of skid row and they do so on a regular basis.

Here is another LA Times article from 2015 titled "More Homeless Camps Are Appearing Outside of DTLA's Skid Row"

More homeless camps are appearing beyond downtown L.A.'s skid row - LA Times

I never said they are pitching tents on Rodeo Drive and I agree with what some other posters said about Broadway (near the Ace Hotel). That area has cleaned up but the homeless have just moved to other parts of Downtown and/or other parts of the city.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:41 AM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

As has been shown through pictures and links, the homeless are allowed to place tents outside of skid row and they do so on a regular basis.

Here is another LA Times article from 2015 titled "More Homeless Camps Are Appearing Outside of DTLA's Skid Row"

I never said they are pitching tents on Rodeo Drive and I agree with what some other posters said about Broadway (near the Ace Hotel). That area has cleaned up but the homeless have just moved to other parts of Downtown and/or other parts of the city.
No you're being needlessly argumentative.

I have no goal posts as I don't get off on childish, inane arguments.

Nor did I ever claim that homeless didn't pop up elsewhere.

I did say that as more money comes into downtown, that one day they may displace those people who are now camping on Skid Row and put them elsewhere. Displacement of poor people happens from time to time in all major cities. It doesn't mean they cease to exist, but it certainly means they can be shifted out of an area.

And yes the places you showed where homeless were allowed to camp were an UNDERPASS where no one is going to except while they are in there car. Please get back to me when homeless are allowed to make massive encampments in front of shopping malls, major retailers, office buildings, or any decent residential area. That will be never and there is no way any sane person can argue against this.

Note you don't see encampments in the financial district downtown. The areas that homeless people were pushed out of as they developed (West of Main) saw more homeless people spill into the industrial areas east of skid row proper (and of course other areas that they found here and there where nobody would bother them).

Old 03-22-2016, 01:58 AM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Lastly what truly offended a couple of posters on this thread is when I talked about the only reason why you still have tents on skid row. The police for now are not allowed to arrest those people for sleeping outside due to court order.

Now I'm hoping we don't end up with President Trump, and that he doesn't get to appoint his picks to the Supreme Court. But if he does I suspect developers would simply fight this up to a conservative court, and have the order preventing cops from arresting those people in tents who sleep on skid row arrested. This will eventually happen even if the next President is Democratic mind you.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:13 AM

4,514 posts, read 1,940,056 times
Quote:
Yet outside of freeway overpasses, you don't see those tents or homeless people sleeping in large numbers in front of major stores, residents, etc. Those businesses and people would call the police.

Which is why homeless outside of skid row find overpasses, sleep on the buses at nights, or find other places where the cops will not bother them.
Wrong. I live in MacArthur Park, within spitting distance of downtown on one side and Koreatown on the other. Tents are everywhere. 7th St. facing the park (in front of businesses after they've closed), surrounding Lafayette Park, on Hoover St. close to Rain Karaoke Club, on Park View beside the elementary school, on Grand View on the side porch of a daycare center, 11th St. behind a supermarket and across from a huge apartment building...They're pretty much regular residents and mostly don't bother anybody so no one is going to call the cops and punish a person already down on their luck.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:59 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,628,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

Exactly. OP just can't admit they're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Wrong. I live in MacArthur Park, within spitting distance of downtown on one side and Koreatown on the other. Tents are everywhere. 7th St. facing the park (in front of businesses after they've closed), surrounding Lafayette Park, on Hoover St. close to Rain Karaoke Club, on Park View beside the elementary school, on Grand View on the side porch of a daycare center, 11th St. behind a supermarket and across from a huge apartment building...They're pretty much regular residents and mostly don't bother anybody so no one is going to call the cops and punish a person already down on their luck.
Now, now just because you live in the area, what makes you an expert? Maybe they're just filming a movie about homeless people. There are no encampments other than on Skid Row.

Someone who lives on the other side of the country who visits a couple of times clearly knows more about LA than people who live here.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:52 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Quote:
Businesses don't tolerate this stuff, nor do rich people. I didn't see any homeless encampments in Beverly Hills, nor did I see any in West Hollywood. I wonder why? (Affluent parts of town for starters).
Not part of the City of Los Angeles, that's why. The BHPD and Sheriffs haven't become hippie departments and haven't surrendered to the homeless like the LAPD has.

You see homeless encampments with tents in westside areas such as Mar Vista, Palms, Cheviot Hills, West LA, etc. which are part of the city of LA - and which, except for Palms, are all nice areas. You do not see them in nearby Culver City and Marina Del Rey which are not part of the city of LA. The "containment" strategy of creating an apartheid like reservation for the homeless in Skid Row has worked about as well as the containment strategy of confining Islamic terrorists to the Middle East has.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:12 PM

3,435 posts, read 2,136,474 times
Stuck Up people might scoff at Sylmar but there are very few filthy homeless here and they seem to dissapear.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:29 PM

184 posts, read 94,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
LMAO @ anyone who lives downtown.
how boring can you be???????

Old 03-22-2016, 10:38 PM

5,392 posts, read 5,638,461 times
Some one mention Skid Row?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9mzFBsVOsw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles