Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 03:11 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I love the set-up of Southern California and Los Angeles. It is dense, but not overly dense. There are so many pockets of liveliness all over such a massive area.

Some cities like New York are too dense, others like Houston are way too spread-out. Los Angeles is a city of perfect scale and the county itself has everything a person could ever want and offers something for everyone.

It is very-car centric but the public transportation is excellent. Los Angeles itself has a dozen neighborhoods of over 20,000 square per mile population density. Several neighborhoods over 30,000 per square mile density.

You can find anything in Los Angeles County from the crazy dense neighborhood of West Hollywood and Westlake, newer areas like Santa Clarita, old-fashioned suburbs in the San Gabriel Valley like San Dimas and Claremont and even more ruralish areas in the Antolope Valley.

The great thing about Los Angeles and Southern California is there is any thing and everything one could ever want as far as population densities, climates, cultures, personality types.
I agree; I like the mix between both an Urban environment and a Suburban environment. Cities like Philly or Baltimore don't really have that choice, especially for people like me who like Urban living but hate being cramped into one block, it feels smothering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 03:37 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times
If you mean DTLA, I think a lot of it has to do with the numerous parking lots in the area. Lots small and large dot the entire district, with some blocks mostly or entirely given over to parking. Many large public facilities like Union Station and the Plaza historical district are all but surrounded by extensive parking lots; in large Eastern cities you find the train station across an ordinary street from other buildings, with the concourses underground. The prevalence of at-grade single level parking lots detracts from the pedestrian experience and discourages walking, since the would-be pedestrian usually doesn't want to walk past one parking lot after another.

A secondary and related factor is the extensive greenscaping in the Civic Center and Plaza area.

If you look at pre-1920 panoramic photos of DTLA, the skyline looks much denser, even if not as tall. Street views of similar age and older are crowded with pedestrians, wagons and carriages of all kinds, streetcars, and early autos.

Last edited by Those Who Squirm; 03-19-2016 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 04:15 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I agree; I like the mix between both an Urban environment and a Suburban environment. Cities like Philly or Baltimore don't really have that choice, especially for people like me who like Urban living but hate being cramped into one block, it feels smothering.

Baltimore have both, it's just more known for the row homes. Most people just don't know about Baltimore's inner-suburbs.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 03-19-2016 at 04:35 PM..

Old 03-20-2016, 08:12 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,411 times
it's not walkable

Old 03-20-2016, 08:20 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
it's not walkable
Depends on what neighborhood you live in. My old hood of Mid City is reasonably walkable. Not NYC AT ALL but I think in the context of American cities L.A. is pretty walkable. It's more walkable than any city below the Mason-Dixon Line.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:30 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Depends on what neighborhood you live in. My old hood of Mid City is reasonably walkable. Not NYC AT ALL but I think in the context of American cities L.A. is pretty walkable. It's more walkable than any city below the Mason-Dixon Line.
mid city is not the norm for L.A. neighborhoods though

Old 03-20-2016, 09:27 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
mid city is not the norm for L.A. neighborhoods though
what neighborhood do you consider the norm then? Cause Mid City is pretty much in between DTLA & The Valley in terms of urbanity. Unless, you consider where you live in particular to be the norm.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:23 PM

411 posts, read 719,940 times
-ppl are in cars
-the dense areas are the poorer ethnic communities that you probably aren't visiting on any frequent basis
-the richer white neighborhoods and DTLA are not dense in terms of residents

Old 03-21-2016, 03:35 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
If you mean DTLA, I think a lot of it has to do with the numerous parking lots in the area. Lots small and large dot the entire district, with some blocks mostly or entirely given over to parking. Many large public facilities like Union Station and the Plaza historical district are all but surrounded by extensive parking lots; in large Eastern cities you find the train station across an ordinary street from other buildings, with the concourses underground. The prevalence of at-grade single level parking lots detracts from the pedestrian experience and discourages walking, since the would-be pedestrian usually doesn't want to walk past one parking lot after another.

A secondary and related factor is the extensive greenscaping in the Civic Center and Plaza area.

If you look at pre-1920 panoramic photos of DTLA, the skyline looks much denser, even if not as tall. Street views of similar age and older are crowded with pedestrians, wagons and carriages of all kinds, streetcars, and early autos.
FYI most of the parking lots are now gone, with large mix residential buildings going up in their place. I expect nearly all the single level lots to bite the dust in the next five years.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
LA is also very spread out, over a wide geographic area.
You beat me to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles