U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 02:24 PM

601 posts, read 551,482 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I think if you have asthma/allergies...that's your personal health condition. I've never had a problem jogging outside here. I'm sure the air isn't the best, but I've certainly experienced much worse.

Having said that, the most logical thing to do (and it's baffling how many people choose to ignore this) is to not live too close to the freeway if you can help it.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...qmO/story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 02:34 PM

73 posts, read 39,218 times
I don't think the OP is exaggerating:

When the AQI reaches unhealthy it says: "Unhealthy 151 to 200 Everyone may begin to experience health effects; members of sensitive groups may experience more serious health effects"

Old 03-20-2016, 02:36 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,326,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyuna View Post
I tried to ignore it but the air quality out here is definitely getting to me. I've been living here for a few years now and I still can't go for a jog around the neighborhood without having what seems like a asthma attack when I get inside my apt. How do you guys continue to live here knowing that your health is deteriorating?
Hey OP: Sorry about my prior post. Did not mean to sound insensitive to your health issues. The air is definitely cleaner now than in the past but it is still bad. Good luck with your issues.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:47 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,560,790 times
I have asthma and I am just fine. No inhalers anymore. I hike more here than I did in DC and Seattle combined. I remember coming out here in the early 80's and it was awful. Now it's pretty nice compared to back then.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:10 PM

73 posts, read 39,218 times
It may be "nice" but today was not one of those days. Not by a long shot.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:55 PM

270 posts, read 201,647 times
OP: As evidenced by this thread, I believe "self-selection" is the answer to your question: by and large, people who are concerned about the health effects of air pollution don't live here, and the people who do live here do not consider pollution to be a primary concern.

Whether or not the smog is better than it used to be, present-day LA/Long Beach consistently ranks among the worst air quality in the country. You may be more sensitive than some, OP, but the human body is really not cut out for air pollution on this level, and I find it fairly incredible that some are implying the air is okay and there must be something uniquely wrong with YOU! Of course, see a doctor. Best wishes to you.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:09 AM

45 posts, read 116,163 times
Is the air quality really that bad in Los Angeles? I found several articles showing the air quality of various cities around the world. Here is one of them:

Where is the world's most polluted city? | Cities | The Guardian

Delhi has the worst pollution according to this article with a rating of 153 and people are still alive there. Los Angeles has a rating of 20 and New York City has a rating of 14. There are even some articles that claim that Iran has even far worse air pollution than Delhi and still many people are living there. I'm surprised New Jersey isn't listed on there with the worst pollution of all time.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 AM

1,367 posts, read 1,628,033 times
looks like we all need to get on that Tesla time.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:47 PM

9 posts, read 8,569 times
wear one of those surgical masks... they are getting popular like in asia. otherwise, pray for rain

Old 03-25-2016, 05:24 PM

8 posts, read 5,316 times
I couldn't hack it. I tried but I only lasted 8 months. The air in LA at times reminds me of Shanghai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or