Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 02:00 AM

72 posts, read 84,788 times

Advertisements

I tried to ignore it but the air quality out here is definitely getting to me. I've been living here for a few years now and I still can't go for a jog around the neighborhood without having what seems like a asthma attack when I get inside my apt. How do you guys continue to live here knowing that your health is deteriorating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 03:39 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Live within a few miles of the ocean, stay indoors and avoid heavy exertion on ozone-alert days, and leave your windows rolled up and air recirculating in your vehicle while driving in heavy traffic on the roadways. Use your inhaler when you feel short of breath, and if you don't have one already, you better get one.

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 03-20-2016 at 03:47 AM..

Old 03-20-2016, 03:43 AM

184 posts, read 135,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Live within a few miles of the ocean.
if you can afford it....

Last edited by Tribes; 03-20-2016 at 04:02 AM..

Old 03-20-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Live within a few miles of the ocean.
That was my long term goal, but after finding out that San Diego is a lot cleaner and cheaper I've been seriously considering moving out there.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:53 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Are U kidding? I am old enough to remember the 1970's. You have no idea how bad it was back then. State three smog alerts all the time. Obama, college student at Occidental, people could not go outside.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...e-los-angeles/

Old 03-20-2016, 03:55 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyuna View Post
That was my long term goal, but after finding out that San Diego is a lot cleaner and cheaper I've been seriously considering moving out there. If there was a stronger black presence out there it would be a no brain-er.
What about Oakland instead?

It seems like there's a rather large cohort of well-educated, high-income, politically active African-Americans in Oakland and the East Bay of SF, especially relative to San Diego, and the air quality is definitely much better in the SF Bay Area than LA and even SD.

Oakland doesn't seem like my cup of tea (I vastly prefer Long Beach if we're talking second-tier CA cities), but it seems to better suit your needs than anywhere in Southern CA.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:12 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:

It seems like there's a rather large cohort of well-educated, high-income, politically active African-Americans in Oakland and the East Bay of SF, especially relative to San Diego, and the air quality is definitely much better in the SF Bay Area than LA and even SD.

Oakland doesn't seem like my cup of tea (I vastly prefer Long Beach if we're talking second-tier CA cities), but it seems to better suit your needs than anywhere in Southern CA.
And housing costs about 50% more than LA

Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
What I do wouldn't work for you. I just live a normal life and doing so doesn't cause asthma attacks. Even if someone here were experiencing similar issues, their advice wouldn't necessarily translate to your condition. Perhaps consulting your doctor would be more useful.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:

I always thought Oakland was dangerous/gang invested, I will have to look into it more. Does it have nice beaches? That was one of the big draws that San Diego seems to have. I'm going to visit as soon as I can afford a car just to check out the vibe.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Are U kidding? I am old enough to remember the 1970's. You have no idea how bad it was back then. State three smog alerts all the time. Obama, college student at Occidental, people could not go outside.

Barack Obama says when he went to college in Los Angeles, the pollution was often so bad that 'folks couldn't go outside' | PolitiFact
Idk maybe its allergies and I'm paranoid, but all those city maps pointing out the air quality really scare the crap out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles