U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:27 AM

15,742 posts, read 21,996,197 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting town in April for a wedding. We decided to make it a week long trip and visit some friends/family. We'll have a day to ourselves and would like to visit a cool brewery or winery in the LA area. We'd prefer to get out of the city and would love an outdoorsy place if it exists. We're just looking for a cool environment and not a tourist trap.

If you have any other suggestions of cool places to grab an afternoon drink, we're open to that, too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:33 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,421,358 times
There's a winery in the Malibu/calabasas area that does tastings. Golden road brewery is also in the city, but its a very cool place to have a meal and some beers.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:43 AM

Cool, thanks. I should add we are willing to drive an hour from the UCLA area to find the atmosphere we want!

I'm researching this winery in Malibu now. Malibu Wines?

Old 03-23-2016, 08:50 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,765,220 times
The Bruery in OC and Green Flash, Lost Abbey, Pizza Port and Stone by San Diego. If you're serious about beer it's worth the drive as those are regarded as some of the best breweries in the world.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:51 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Cool, thanks. I should add we are willing to drive an hour from the UCLA area to find the atmosphere we want!

If you are not willing to drive further Golden Road is OK. They have outdoor space but it's in an industrial park and beer is generic. Eagle Rock brewery is good but I think their hours are limited

Old 03-23-2016, 09:22 AM

548 posts, read 310,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
If you are not willing to drive further Golden Road is OK. They have outdoor space but it's in an industrial park and beer is generic. Eagle Rock brewery is good but I think their hours are limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
The Bruery in OC and Green Flash, Lost Abbey, Pizza Port and Stone by San Diego. If you're serious about beer it's worth the drive as those are regarded as some of the best breweries in the world.
The Bruery in OC and the 3 you mentioned in SD are all way better than anything LA has to offer.

There is a Stone tasting room / tap house in Pasadena if you just want to try their product, but it's not the actual brewery.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:51 AM

386 posts, read 354,122 times
This one is cool and about an hour
Hangar 24 Craft Brewery

you could stop in a few wineries in Ontario also

http://sanantoniowinery.com/

Old 03-23-2016, 10:03 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,039,840 times
Enegren - Moorpark
Ladyface - Agoura Hills
The Lab - Agoura Hills
Sundowner/Wades Wines - Agoura Hills

Old 03-23-2016, 10:06 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,421,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Malibu Wines is the place. Also next door is the Malibu Cafe and Calamigos Ranch, which is a fantastic lunch spot. I usually see celebrities when we go there, if that's your thing.

As for beer within an hour of UCLA, Golden Road will be the best experience in my opinion. Their craft beer is middle of the road taste/quality wise, but it's a fun place with a beer garden, patio games, and tons of TVs. The San Diego recommendations are great, but they are pretty far, certainly over an hour away. The Bruery is also great, but it's at least an hour from UCLA with typical LA traffic and they don't have food. Within LA, Van Nuys specifically, is another great spot called MacLeod's. They serve only barrel conditioned English style ales and everything they pour is great, though most are fairly low ABV. If time becomes an issue, this is definitely your best bet.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM

Looks like Golden Road is the place to check out, then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles