U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 09:11 PM

76 posts, read 55,449 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I usually post in the Orange County forum and my fiancé and I were looking to move to Huntington Beach this year in August. After looking we noticed long beach is not only closer to my job but also offers less expensive rent than Huntington Beach. That being said we are considering long beach as a possible move and are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment. Any recommendations of where in long beach? Our budget is 2000 but hopefully looking to spend around 1800. Thank you and if you have any questions let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 PM

14,982 posts, read 8,543,320 times
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...4yS4w&hl=en_US

Looks like you might want to avoid most parts east of the 710.

There are some truly nasty gangs in Long Beach.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:37 PM

76 posts, read 55,449 times
Interesting, thank you for this I appreciate it

Old 03-23-2016, 09:41 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,194,178 times
Stick around 2nd and Belmont Shores you'll be fine.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:59 AM

807 posts, read 658,193 times
If you can find somewhere in or around Belmont Shores, that would be most ideal.

Long Beach is cheaper than Huntington because it has a lot of marginal/bad areas.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:25 PM

4,032 posts, read 8,301,481 times
Eeesh I do not understand people and their incorrect notions on Long Beach.

Anything, and I do mean anything, to the south/east of Lakewood Bl is plenty fine. That includes city of Lakewood also. It is not limited to Belmont shores and in fact that notion shows an extreme level of ignorance. Literally everything south of Artesia, between Lakewood bl. and the 605 fwy is at minimum a safe middle class neighborhood. Between Cherry and Lakewood Bl can also be nice but it depends and can be a block by block thing. Signal hill is also plenty fine. Additionally there's places like Bixby Knolls and even parts of Wrigley though Wrigley is was to close to drugs/prostitutions for my personal taste. I'm sure there's other areas too.

And of course anywhere in Belmont Shores and Bluff Heights is nice. And there's also nice pockets south of 7th going into and including downtown LB

Old 03-24-2016, 03:12 PM

270 posts, read 201,791 times
Find a crime map to help you determine good/bad areas; it's going to give you mostly the same results as the gang map upthread. lbreport.com periodically posts "shots fired" maps that are also useful.

Generally speaking, you want to be east of Redondo Ave. and not in north Long Beach. Belmont Shore/Naples/Peninsula, Traffic Circle/CSULB, and Bluff Park/Bluff Heights are the good areas. Bixby Knolls seems okay too but I know less about it. In all areas, even these good ones, check to make sure the exact street/block you are looking at is good, as things vary even in the better parts of the city. Don't be fooled by cutesy names like "arts district", as in LB many of these are problem areas that the city is trying to improve.

Be aware that a few blocks one way or the other can change everything. There are perfectly nice streets a few blocks away from places you wouldn't like to go too often, let alone live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or