U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:51 PM

3,861 posts, read 2,500,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribes View Post
Its more like a whole nother world...
The way i see it, LA and NYC have the same DNA, but raised by different parents. Even a friend from New Jersey told me that L.A. feels like the most East Coast west coast city.

Basically, it's got a great grid layout, and it was once home to huge rail system. So hence, the whole DNA part. So both cities are different, yet the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 10:53 PM

807 posts, read 657,159 times
Not sure what your combined income is between you and your husband, but if you guys are over $125K combined, there's definitely a good number of areas to live in LA.

If you don't want to live in suburbia but somewhere that's not crazy city hustle and bustle, I think you might like an area such as Los Feliz or if you want to be closer to the ocean, perhaps somewhere in west LA such as Brentwood. Those areas a little more laid back but still close to the action as well as close to the hills where there is great hiking. Your dollar just won't go as far on the west side.

I would say there are a decent number of digital marketing jobs in the LA area, probably more so on the west side. You definitely want to see where you can land a job first and then decide where to live.

Forget SF as you'll be paying tons of money for a tiny place and you won't actually get to see as much sunshine and feel as much warmth if that's what you're looking for.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:54 PM

3,861 posts, read 2,500,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post
If OP is in Manhattan, then Santa Monica would be the best translation in my opinion. Similar level of amenities, shops, and restaurants. A lot of the same chains that exist in Manhattan are in Santa Monica too like Whole Foods, Trader Joes and Dunkin Donuts. Similar rent prices too. Plus, Santa Monica is still somewhat urban.
Plus the expo line extension..

Old 03-25-2016, 11:00 PM

184 posts, read 94,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
L.A. feels like the most East Coast west coast city.
Only some parts..

Old 03-26-2016, 01:49 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,325,253 times
Well, I think New Yorkers tend to consider LA, SF or So. Florida as their go to relocation destinations.

San Francisco has a great compact layout that will make you feel the most at home with regards to walkability, etc. That said, it is expensive as hell and you get more bang for your buck in LA. Oh, and the weather is 100 times better in LA.

In no particular order I think these areas might suit what you are looking for:

1. Santa Monica/Venice
2. Culver City (expo line will connect you to Santa Monica and Downtown LA).
3. Silverlake/Los Feliz
4. Mid-Wilshire/Fairfax District

Old 03-26-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Well, I think New Yorkers tend to consider LA, SF or So. Florida as their go to relocation destinations.
Believe you're right with So. Florida being at the top.

Last edited by Tribes; 03-26-2016 at 02:20 AM..

Old 03-26-2016, 01:58 AM

and then some of LA..

Last edited by Tribes; 03-26-2016 at 02:21 AM..

Old 03-26-2016, 02:13 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,325,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribes View Post
Believe you're right with So. Florida being the top destination..
Yeah, only a 2.5 hour flight away from home. I hear Boca Raton referred to as an extension of Long Island.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:48 AM

958 posts, read 717,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
The way i see it, LA and NYC have the same DNA, but raised by different parents. Even a friend from New Jersey told me that L.A. feels like the most East Coast west coast .
Your friend is wrong. Sorry.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 2,696 times
Thank you everyone for your responses! Really helpful. We will definitely check out the areas mentioned.

When I said grown up city, I mean quality of life. In NYC once you hit the age where you may want kids or don't want to be paying 3k in rent a month you need to move to the suburbs and commute 2 hours each way to find something somewhat affordable. Not the life we want, we would rather be in a more livable city which is why we are considering LA. We don't need it to feel like New York or the East Coast just would rather in not be like the suburbia outside of NYC (NJ, LI and CT) where it's 1990s neighborhoods and strip malls.

Good to know about finding a job before we move. I often hear you won't be able to find a job until you have that city on your resume but my feeling was it is smarter to find something before we take the leap.

We are currently paying 3k a month in rent so our goal was to find an apartment with cheaper rent for a few years (2k a month?) and perhaps save up to buy. Our income fluctuates because of my husband's job but our combined income is anywhere from 200k to 300k.

Would be open to any additional suggestions, really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or