U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,697 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm 29 and have been living and working in Manhattan for 6 years now, my husband for 8. I grew up 45 minutes outside of the city so it's really all I know. We are ready for a change and feel very done with NYC. We both enjoy the outdoors but also not ready to give up city living entirely, just looking for a more grown up city (NYC is exhausting). We really don't want to move to straight up suburbia.

We are looking at California for the weather and a better quality of life. He works for a west coast based company and is able to work from anywhere. I work in digital marketing/media in a supervisor roll making 55K a year. I know San Francisco is where the jobs are in my field but the expensive housing and cost of living seems like another New York City. Would I be able to find a decent paying job in Los Angeles in Marketing? At my level I doubt I could get hired before moving out there but I am just starting my search now and still considering San Fran as that may be the better fit. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 03:09 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,117,563 times
C-D is not really the best place to get job advice. I know someone who has been looking for a marketing job in LA for over a year (not sure what area she specializes in though.) One positive for you would be that there is a growing digital media presence in LA with Google, Youtube, Instagram etc. expanding their presence on the west side (i.e., "silicon beach".) Plenty of New Yorkers move to LA and love it.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:16 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,248,261 times
Digital Marketing/Media is a very broad label with pockets of both opportunity and diminishing value. Can you elaborate on what you do within the discipline?

Old 03-24-2016, 03:52 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,781,859 times
I would drive around and check out the coastal areas. There's lots of New York transplants here. Don't rule out Calabasas and going North to Thousand Oaks. No traffic for the most part and everything is new, clean and a very low crime.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:39 PM

8,273 posts, read 10,516,067 times
How much $$ can you afford, and for what?

Old 03-24-2016, 05:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,978,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
I would drive around and check out the coastal areas. There's lots of New York transplants here. Don't rule out Calabasas and going North to Thousand Oaks. No traffic for the most part and everything is new, clean and a very low crime.
Calabasas and Thousand Oaks would be too suburban for OP... and they might be too expensive as well.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:46 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,117,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Calabasas and Thousand Oaks would be too suburban for OP... and they might be too expensive as well.
Well they currently live in Manhattan and, her husband won't be changing jobs, so I'm guessing they can afford the valley. Not that I would recommend the valley to OP based on what they said that they are looking for in LA.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:39 PM

3,884 posts, read 2,505,765 times
L.A. being more of a grown up city than NYC? First time I heard that. NYC to me is like L.A.'s big brother. L.A. is like a city that does not yet know how to properly behave like one.

Anyway, downown, Koreatown, and Hollywood would be your more NYC like areas. Also pico union but that's pretty sketchy.

Now just to add more to the placed connected by rail, I'll just make a list off the top of my head:

Azusa, Pasadena, Highland Park, Chinatown, Arts District, Little Tokyo, Downtown, Hollywood, Koreatown, Culver City, Pico Union, Santa Monica, South Central, Compton, Long Beach.

Fellow Angelinos, let me know if I got some wrong, or missed some.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:44 PM

64 posts, read 49,588 times
If OP is in Manhattan, then Santa Monica would be the best translation in my opinion. Similar level of amenities, shops, and restaurants. A lot of the same chains that exist in Manhattan are in Santa Monica too like Whole Foods, Trader Joes and Dunkin Donuts. Similar rent prices too. Plus, Santa Monica is still somewhat urban.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:46 PM

184 posts, read 94,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
NYC to me is like L.A.'s big brother.
Its more like a whole nother world...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or