U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,189,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'd love to move to Denver. But I work in television/entertainment and my job experience is specific to the industry so my earning potential would not be nearly as high outside of that industry. I did try to get a job at NBC in Centenial but it didn't work out. Denver also seems to be on its way up in COL. Seems like a lot of people from CA have been moving there plus the weed industry and now being named city with best quality of life it is only going to attract more people. Real estate will probably never be as bad as LA but I'm betting it will keep rising and so will traffic as more people move there. But I agree that Denver or even Colorado Springs would check most of the boxes for us if I could find work.
The job market isn't that good in Denver honestly.

It's ok for me because I have over a decade of exp in tech sales/support and an active network similar to your situation living in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 04:29 AM

523 posts, read 383,345 times
I left LA, and boy did I miss the weather and people! Traffic is bad in other cities as well. I actually am thinking about moving back since I own a home in the Southbay. I also think LA pays better and has more opportunities than DC which is heavy Gov't and you likely work in Private. I'm pretty sure you can find an apartment for much cheaper than $2,200 in the Glendale area (you might have to leave your luxury place). Sounds like a lot of risk without much reward...Why not something like Austin, which has the good schools, yet much cheaper housing than both? Although like the other poster said, might be better to just rent and save for a place in the future which gives you a much better offer.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:40 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I left LA, and boy did I miss the weather and people! Traffic is bad in other cities as well. I actually am thinking about moving back since I own a home in the Southbay. I also think LA pays better and has more opportunities than DC which is heavy Gov't and you likely work in Private. I'm pretty sure you can find an apartment for much cheaper than $2,200 in the Glendale area (you might have to leave your luxury place). Sounds like a lot of risk without much reward...Why not something like Austin, which has the good schools, yet much cheaper housing than both? Although like the other poster said, might be better to just rent and save for a place in the future which gives you a much better offer.
Our current apartment is not luxury. It's a typical 1960s built building with zero amenities. We don't even have a pool. You'd be surprised what $2200 gets you right now. That seems to be going rate for 2 bedroom apartment in Glendale/Burbank.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:41 AM

958 posts, read 717,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
The job market isn't that good in Denver honestly.
Wrong. 3 % unemployment is generally not considered a poor job market.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...n-more-in.html

Lowest unemployment rate of any major us metro...

http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Old 03-26-2016, 06:21 AM

13,865 posts, read 13,539,572 times
Quote:
What would you do?
I can't imagine living in a place that you seem to dislike so much. Staying here for the weather just does not seem worth it.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:20 AM

15 posts, read 7,384 times
Quote:

Everything else being equal the differences are housing cost and schools. The area of MD has some of the best public schools in the country and a 3-4 bed house can still be had for around $400k. In Burbank area (where local job is) a 2 bed condo is about $450k and houses in good school districts in Burbank or Montrose/La Canada / La Crescenta would be at least $600k-1 million meaning even at $200k income we may never be able to afford a house.

What would you do?
200 k you can afford a house- heck 140ish you can with those numbers as long as you have low debts.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:39 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1999 View Post
200 k you can afford a house- heck 140ish you can with those numbers as long as you have low debts.
Where?

Old 03-26-2016, 09:42 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,325,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I can't imagine living in a place that you seem to dislike so much. Staying here for the weather just does not seem worth it.
I don't think he is staying here for the weather...he is taking the best job offer he has right now which happens to be in LA.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:48 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,330,239 times
Quote:
I'd love to move to Denver. But I work in television/entertainment and my job experience is specific to the industry so my earning potential would not be nearly as high outside of that industry. I did try to get a job at NBC in Centenial but it didn't work out. Denver also seems to be on its way up in COL. Seems like a lot of people from CA have been moving there plus the weed industry and now being named city with best quality of life it is only going to attract more people. Real estate will probably never be as bad as LA but I'm betting it will keep rising and so will traffic as more people move there. But I agree that Denver or even Colorado Springs would check most of the boxes for us if I could find work.
I'm in the tv broadcast business as well. I actually worked at NBC/Universal that you referenced (long story). You're correct about there not being a lot of industry jobs here but there are definitely some. It could just take awhile to find one. And you can live about 3 times better for half the salary than in LA. I've said many times I wouldn't move back even if I were offered a 200% raise.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:29 PM

8,830 posts, read 8,959,075 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm quoting The Clash
Does Shareef like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles