U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,021 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My partner and I will be moving out to the Los Angeles area sometime in the next year or so, once I finish my masters degree, and we have been looking on Zillow at homes. We saw many affordable homes in Palmdale. So, my questions to the forum: What is the commute like from Palmdale to Burbank? How is living in Palmdale?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 PM

4,513 posts, read 2,796,507 times
Palmdale sucks and the commute sucks. It's about 90 minutes each way. The community is trashy. A lot of families that get priced out by gentrification move there and Lancaster and bring crime and gangs with them.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:27 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,345,821 times
Palmdale is the high desert (read: high elevation). No, it is not a pleasant place to live. Hot in summer, on the "cold" side in witner (due to elevation, etc.). The "nice" desert is the "low" desert in areas like Palm Springs.

Either way you are looking at a brutal commute from Palmdale to Burbank. Don't even think about it.

Have you ever lived in California? You need to find a job first, then think about where you will live. And since you are in Orlando, get ready for some sticker shock. Do you have a job lined up in Burbank?

Old 03-25-2016, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Palmdale is the high desert (read: high elevation). No, it is not a pleasant place to live. Hot in summer, on the "cold" side in witner (due to elevation, etc.). The "nice" desert is the "low" desert in areas like Palm Springs.

Either way you are looking at a brutal commute from Palmdale to Burbank. Don't even think about it.

Have you ever lived in California? You need to find a job first, then think about where you will live. And since you are in Orlando, get ready for some sticker shock. Do you have a job lined up in Burbank?
I've never lived in California, but my partner has in the past for a short time in Fullerton. Sticker shock.....yeah, from the research I've done, seems like housing is about twice as much as here in Orlando. Right now we're renting a 3/2 house in a blue collar neighborhood for $950. It's a great deal, but the home was built in 1968 and has not been updated (besides paint really).

While we don't have a job lined up just yet, we both work for Walt Disney World. We are definitely not going to move without a job in hand. I've done that before with predictable results. Ideally we would like to transfer with the company. But once I have my degree (Masters in Economics) I want to work for the federal government at the Bureau of Labor Statistics (which is in downtown Los Angeles) or at the Census Bureau (which is in Van Nuys).

Old 03-25-2016, 10:55 PM

4,513 posts, read 2,796,507 times
Why not see if you can get a transfer or another job with Disney? Maybe you can transfer to Anaheim or find something at the studios or another division in Burbank/Glendale. They definitely have plenty of finance jobs

Old 03-25-2016, 11:33 PM

4,060 posts, read 2,551,444 times
Oh no, Palmdale, that's the armpit of L.A. county..

Old 03-25-2016, 11:38 PM

808 posts, read 665,873 times
Moving to CA to live in Palmdale is like going to an Italian restaurant to get a steak. You'd be coming for the wrong reason and would be supremely disappointed.

First off, definitely make sure you have a job lined up. As far as places to live, Burbank and Glendale are good options where if you ended up getting a job in downtown or in the Valley, you'd be in a central location where your commute wouldn't be too bad. Also, I would not rule out trying to get a private sector job that will pay more in the long-run.

While it's tempting to get a home, I recommend renting a place that is not too expensive and then save up to buy a place in a better area. Palmdale and those outlying desert communities are for those priced out of the core LA housing market. It's cheap for a reason. Anyways, if you're new to CA, it's better to rent to see if you like the area and see yourself staying.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:16 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubWolf View Post
I've never lived in California, but my partner has in the past for a short time in Fullerton. Sticker shock.....yeah, from the research I've done, seems like housing is about twice as much as here in Orlando. Right now we're renting a 3/2 house in a blue collar neighborhood for $950. It's a great deal, but the home was built in 1968 and has not been updated (besides paint really).

While we don't have a job lined up just yet, we both work for Walt Disney World. We are definitely not going to move without a job in hand. I've done that before with predictable results. Ideally we would like to transfer with the company. But once I have my degree (Masters in Economics) I want to work for the federal government at the Bureau of Labor Statistics (which is in downtown Los Angeles) or at the Census Bureau (which is in Van Nuys).
Have you at least visited CA? I would hope so, I can't imagine moving somewhere you have never been to.

What do you need to buy a home for in CA when you currently rent in FL? And if it is just the two of you, why do you even rent a 3 bedroom house?

You're getting way ahead of yourself, you never buy even if you could afford for it for the first year to make sure you want to stay, and that goes for anyplace not just here.

Personally I feel a move from FL(and especially Orlando...yuck) to CA is an upgrade, but you're both young, no reason to be so rushed to buy a home.

And I doubt you would like Palmdale. It's not going to be what most people have in mind when they think of Southern CA.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:17 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Moving to CA to live in Palmdale is like going to an Italian restaurant to get a steak. You'd be coming for the wrong reason and would be supremely disappointed.

First off, definitely make sure you have a job lined up. As far as places to live, Burbank and Glendale are good options where if you ended up getting a job in downtown or in the Valley, you'd be in a central location where your commute wouldn't be too bad. Also, I would not rule out trying to get a private sector job that will pay more in the long-run.

While it's tempting to get a home, I recommend renting a place that is not too expensive and then save up to buy a place in a better area. Palmdale and those outlying desert communities are for those priced out of the core LA housing market. It's cheap for a reason. Anyways, if you're new to CA, it's better to rent to see if you like the area and see yourself staying.
Excellent advice.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:50 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,085,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post

Palmdale is more like a chicken tender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles