U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,974,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
And???? Big freakin' deal! This constant string of race-obsessed posting by black people is getting annoying!
The only one "race-baiting" is you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 04:47 AM

22 posts, read 34,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It does seem like the LA metro is getting more divided each year.
I find it hard to believe that any place on the planet is becoming MORE racially divided in 2016.

If that is the case then it is really worrying.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:02 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree321 View Post
I would like to move to Los Angeles as I think it's a beautiful city to say the least, but I constantly read conflicting information about the place.

On the one hand, it is a racial utopia where everyone mixes freely, has no racial inhibitions, and is super progressive. People have friends of all races, and no one even bats an eyelid at someone of another ethnicity. Everyone is laid back and more worried about traffic than racial pettiness.

On the other hand I hear that Mexican gangs are murdering black people, OC is full of racists that commit hate crimes, ppl stare at black people and call them the n-word. That black people are made to feel unwelcome in any area that isn't heavily African-American and that it's just all pretty bad.

I would love to hear the opinions of Angelinos on this topic so I can get a better sense of what LA really is like for black people. I would love to live there but I'm on the fence at this point. It seems wonderful but it's really hard to ignore the information available online.

Let me know what Los Angeles is really like. Thanks!
Los Angeles is no more or no less racists than any other major city and maybe less. Remember racism works both ways. I have known a few blacks and browns who are not crazy over whites.

If you want to move to Los Angeles and can afford to live there, have the ability to get a good job, give it a try.

No part of So. Calif is filled with people killing people because of their color. Stop believing everything you read and take into consideration where you are getting your information. Do make sure, as I mentioned you can really afford to live there cause if you can't, then, yes, you may see hatred, but it more against people who depend on the government to support them, not the color of your skin.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:29 PM

886 posts, read 584,475 times
Quote:
Well, that's more than what a white, Asian or Hispanic person could say about walking in certain parts of Oakland, Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Newark, Camden, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Atlanta or New Orleans!
Crazy how some Whites think Blacks have nothing to fear in those rough areas when every statistic shows Black people being the majority of the victims of crime in those areas

Old 08-26-2016, 07:41 PM

1,544 posts, read 602,662 times
I too was born (in Inglewood) and raised In Los Angeles. Haven't had any issues with racists, save for a couple of isolated incidents.

Quote:
Well, that's more than what a white, Asian or Hispanic person could say about walking in certain parts of Oakland, Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Newark, Camden, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Atlanta or New Orleans!
Are you daft, man? Seriously, you must be daft.

I'm a resident of South Central L.A. and feel much safer in the 'hood than I would in Beverly Hills!

Quote:
And???? Big freakin' deal! This constant string of race-obsessed posting by black people is getting annoying!
Your bigotry and hypocrisy are showing. Neither they nor you are welcome here.

Last edited by SeasonedNewbie; 08-26-2016 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: double negative omitted

Old 08-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Status: "Happy Birthday to all October babies." (set 25 days ago)

852 posts, read 463,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterease View Post
Hi OP,

I've been in LA for almost 2 years, moved here from Atlanta. What I do love about LA is it is so spread out with numerous different ethic groups. People pretty much do their own thing. However, I have ran into a few unkind looks (can count them on one hand) from mostly Caucasian men. Their problem, not mine. Where I have had difficulty is in the work place. Coming from Atlanta where there are so many successful people just like me, in my current work place it is a grossly lesser amount of successful professionals who are AA. In this case, it has taken other races longer to accept me as a successful, black professional whereas in Atlanta, I'm a dime a dozen. Fortunately, I am connected to another group of AA professionals who invite me to various events whereas I don't feel so isolated. Overall, I love LA due to the city having so much to offer, but no place is perfect on this earth. Weigh the pros and cons of what you want in life at this time and go for it. I did!
I'm Caucasian and I respect people of color who have made it out there. Lots of respect for them...:-) It's the criminal element that I take issue with. Sadly there are many AA men who have yet to make it out there - prefer to rob/burglaries. Probably grew up in broken homes - mom had children by different men - lots of drugs involved - mom has been on welfare for a long time and how do the kids have a real chance at anything? I believe there is a huge difference between AA of California as opposed to AA in the south. I think the ones who come from the south are raised with manners and respect for their elders. If I am wrong I am sure someone will let me know. It's my observation-my opinion.

By the way, Iterease, welcome to California.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:37 PM

508 posts, read 309,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I'm Caucasian and I respect people of color who have made it out there. Lots of respect for them...:-) It's the criminal element that I take issue with. Sadly there are many AA men who have yet to make it out there - prefer to rob/burglaries. Probably grew up in broken homes - mom had children by different men - lots of drugs involved - mom has been on welfare for a long time and how do the kids have a real chance at anything? I believe there is a huge difference between AA of California as opposed to AA in the south. I think the ones who come from the south are raised with manners and respect for their elders. If I am wrong I am sure someone will let me know. It's my observation-my opinion.

Smh... Even when people are trying not to be racist they sound racist and tone def. I'm not sure how you would quantify the manners thing really. I think banjeeyankee has stats in the black Mecca thread dealing with single family households and education attainment for African Americans in the USA. You should search that and get educated. Knowledge is power.

Also, you must be watching movies with that southern elder respect nonsense. I'm pretty much done with this but I really hope you open your eyes and get past your prejudices especially if you have never lived in the south like I have.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:39 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,974,864 times
Quote:

Is this post a joke?

Old 08-27-2016, 05:39 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,578,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
Smh... Even when people are trying not to be racist they sound racist and tone def. I'm not sure how you would quantify the manners thing really. I think banjeeyankee has stats in the black Mecca thread dealing with single family households and education attainment for African Americans in the USA. You should search that and get educated. Knowledge is power.

Also, you must be watching movies with that southern elder respect nonsense. I'm pretty much done with this but I really hope you open your eyes and get past your prejudices especially if you have never lived in the south like I have.
That's how most white liberals think.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:23 AM

1,544 posts, read 602,662 times
Quote:
Oy vey...

Respecting one's elders isn't a Southern thing; it's a home thing. It doesn't matter if you're from LA or L.A.!

And regarding Black men, you need to stop watching Tell-Lie-Vision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles