U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:19 AM

11 posts, read 5,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree321 View Post
Is Los Angeles racist against black people?
You bet it is... Its seems or at least lot or most of the hispanics and asian combo with like whites or the "ethnic" or mid east ones that are like that and can be pretty vicious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 04:15 AM

22 posts, read 34,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christienreligions View Post
You bet it is... Its seems or at least lot or most of the hispanics and asian combo with like whites or the "ethnic" or mid east ones that are like that and can be pretty vicious...
What makes you say that?

Would be interesting to get some examples or context for your comment.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:15 AM

4,812 posts, read 2,213,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What would you consider white media ?

Also because someone is politically conservative or agrees with a Republican platform it makes them an Uncle Tom ?
That doesn't seem so fair .

People should have the freedom to vote for who they want .
Many majority black communities have been run by Democrats and they have been failing .
Take a look at South Chicago
or in Detroit . Baltimore .

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results .

Why does a black person voting for a non Democrat mean they are ashamed of their blackness ?
Funny how the same Democrats also run North Chicago and downtown yet those areas aren't failing.

Detroit failed because it was a one industry town & the auto industry shipped itself overseas with low non - Union wages leaving Detroit with a low income population mainly made up of blacks.
Remember Detroit at it's height over 50 years ago had over 2 Million people with a sizable black population working in the Auto industry and now it barely has 1/3rd. of it's former population.
Want to see a comparable city with whites? Pittsburgh who lost it's steel industry and became a rust belt city as well but nobody is calling the whites in Pittsburgh failures & is a Dem city as well.

What is funny is that Trump walked through Dr. Ben Carson's neighborhood and it didn't seem like a slum to me !

Old 09-05-2016, 08:21 AM

1,265 posts, read 632,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Funny how the same Democrats also run North Chicago and downtown yet those areas aren't failing.

Detroit failed because it was a one industry town & the auto industry shipped itself overseas with low non - Union wages leaving Detroit with a low income population mainly made up of blacks.
Remember Detroit at it's height over 50 years ago had over 2 Million people with a sizable black population working in the Auto industry and now it barely has 1/3rd. of it's former population.
Want to see a comparable city with whites? Pittsburgh who lost it's steel industry and became a rust belt city as well but nobody is calling the whites in Pittsburgh failures & is a Dem city as well.

What is funny is that Trump walked through Dr. Ben Carson's neighborhood and it didn't seem like a slum to me !
But Ben Carson mentioned that then said they actually walked through slums and bad areas. Don't think anyone implied Carson lived in a slum. Could you imagine if we manufactored more things in this country.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 2,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I'm Caucasian and I respect people of color who have made it out there. Lots of respect for them...:-) It's the criminal element that I take issue with. Sadly there are many AA men who have yet to make it out there - prefer to rob/burglaries. Probably grew up in broken homes - mom had children by different men - lots of drugs involved - mom has been on welfare for a long time and how do the kids have a real chance at anything? I believe there is a huge difference between AA of California as opposed to AA in the south. I think the ones who come from the south are raised with manners and respect for their elders. If I am wrong I am sure someone will let me know. It's my observation-my opinion.

By the way, Iterease, welcome to California.
I'm very late to the party, but I really wanted to come voice my support for your comment. It's ridiculous that this would be considered racist just because you are not black. It's just an opinion that you formed based on your experiences. I could be biased because I am an AA woman from the south, but I agree 100%. Southerners are absolutely more polite and respectful, it's just a part of our culture.

In addition, I've recently moved to Los Angeles from south Florida and I've noticed this stark difference between the two. I won't go into detail for fear of offending anyone but I believe I can take a guess at it's cause. The AA communities in the south are much larger and more established then the ones in California and probably most other metropolis'. This is of course because we all started there and naturally were the largest minority when it came to more urban/suburban southern areas. On the other hand when the AA's we're migrating out of the south they moved into communities were other minorities were already established and have been in competition with them ever since. This lead to a strong gang presence, lower self esteem, a weakened sense of community and subsequently more crime. Oh and the notice that LA is racist when this is the most diverse, open-minded place I've been. This in turn means not as many black professionals, businesses or families. Someone even said in an earlier post that for them being successful in the south is common but here he is feels like a novelty.

I could on forever but I think you can take this a draw the right conclusions. In closing, southern AA's are much more successful and more polite because that is our culture (which is not exclusive to the blacks btw). It doesn't necessarily make us any nicer but it can come off that way.

Last edited by Olives91; 09-05-2016 at 05:07 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 07:05 PM

327 posts, read 373,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olives91 View Post
I'm very late to the party, but I really wanted to come voice my support for your comment. It's ridiculous that this would be considered racist just because you are not black. It's just an opinion that you formed based on your experiences. I could be biased because I am an AA woman from the south, but I agree 100%. Southerners are absolutely more polite and respectful, it's just a part of our culture.

In addition, I've recently moved to Los Angeles from south Florida and I've noticed this stark difference between the two. I won't go into detail for fear of offending anyone but I believe I can take a guess at it's cause. The AA communities in the south are much larger and more established then the ones in California and probably most other metropolis'. This is of course because we all started there and naturally were the largest minority when it came to more urban/suburban southern areas. On the other hand when the AA's we're migrating out of the south they moved into communities were other minorities were already established and have been in competition with them ever since. This lead to a strong gang presence, lower self esteem, a weakened sense of community and subsequently more crime. Oh and the notice that LA is racist when this is the most diverse, open-minded place I've been. This in turn means not as many black professionals, businesses or families. Someone even said in an earlier post that for them being successful in the south is common but here he is feels like a novelty.

I could on forever but I think you can take this a draw the right conclusions. In closing, southern AA's are much more successful and more polite because that is our culture (which is not exclusive to the blacks btw). It doesn't necessarily make us any nicer but it can come off that way.
This is major key to the points you've made in this post, regarding the successful nature of blacks in the South. Los Angeles is also more diverse than most places in the South. Wealth doesn't travel as far for AA in California as it would for someone living in Memphis or Atlanta. I don't agree with some parts of Southern Gal's post, mainly the stereotype about BM's treatment of elders in one part of the country vs another??

Although there is a tranquility difference in the two for sure though, and if people are denying this than there is some faking and perpetrating happening on this forum. Black's are not as open and approachable out West, versus the South. Maybe its a mentality thing but people in the South do business in a much more relaxed manner and the pace of both areas is rather different. Both have mixes of good and bad, but the sheer size of the black pop in the South will make it seem more "together" than area's in California.

Black folks have it "easier" in the South in some exchanges, but LA is always going to have a healthy "black community" IMHO.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:49 PM

508 posts, read 309,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
This is major key to the points you've made in this post, regarding the successful nature of blacks in the South. Los Angeles is also more diverse than most places in the South. Wealth doesn't travel as far for AA in California as it would for someone living in Memphis or Atlanta. I don't agree with some parts of Southern Gal's post, mainly the stereotype about BM's treatment of elders in one part of the country vs another??

Although there is a tranquility difference in the two for sure though, and if people are denying this than there is some faking and perpetrating happening on this forum. Black's are not as open and approachable out West, versus the South. Maybe its a mentality thing but people in the South do business in a much more relaxed manner and the pace of both areas is rather different. Both have mixes of good and bad, but the sheer size of the black pop in the South will make it seem more "together" than area's in California.

Black folks have it "easier" in the South in some exchanges, but LA is always going to have a healthy "black community" IMHO.
It also really depends on the city question In the south. ATL is a lot different than Birmingham which is different than Miami. I have friends that live in LA who are from memphis and they can appreciate the vast differences. This is really gonna depend on how long you've been in LA and the connections you've made.

Even for me since I'm from here but have lived in the south for years, I can notice the differences and there are pros and cons for both living in the south vs Los Angeles.

Living in the south might be "easier" in some sense but let's not act like your just free from other BS just cause your around more blacks. I love ATL for example but that is one segregated city which could be a good or bad thing depending on your view point.

There are blacks who seem to have differing view points on this forum which just shows you how people's personal network can alter there perception of the city. Anybody who has lived here long enough can attest to this.Especially if your coming from a place where you already know a bunch of people and come to a place--especially the L.A.-- where you may not know or understand the people just yet.

That's why I'm usually skeptical of people's opinions if they say they got here recently or less than a year. Then after they've been here for awhile they soften their tone usually. I've known plenty of transplants of all races who think this way.

Last edited by afropack-man; 09-05-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 2,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
It also really depends on the city question In the south. ATL is a lot different than Birmingham which is different than Miami. I have friends that live in LA who are from memphis and they can appreciate the vast differences. This is really gonna depend on how long you've been in LA and the connections you've made.

Even for me since I'm from here but have lived in the south for years, I can notice the differences and there are pros and cons for both living in the south vs Los Angeles.

Living in the south might be "easier" in some sense but let's not act like your just free from other BS just cause your around more blacks. I love ATL for example but that is one segregated city which could be a good or bad thing depending on your view point.

There are blacks who seem to have differing view points on this forum which just shows you how people's personal network can alter there perception of the city. Anybody who has lived here long enough can attest to this.
Very true. I grew up between Miami and LA and I couldn't wait to get back to LA once I finished school. I love being from the south, I have a very loving, very stereotypically large and country family. We are all very close and can trace our heritage back several generations. There is a definite pride and knowledge of history there but it does have it faults. I'm not very religious and stuck out like a sore thumb. California is pretty liberal & laidback and the weather hear is pretty much perfect. The only issue I have is the price of property here! Our home in Florida is fairly new and we got a great deal on it but even at full price a comparable house anywhere near LA is easily 3 times as much.

That's the hardest pill to swallow and given that I'm living in a family home now I can't imagine I would have stayed here and rented something. Probably would've ran back to Fl to at least save up enough so I could come here and purchase something.

Definitely a give and take. And it really depends on what kind of atmosphere you want. Bottom line definitely not anymore racist that anywhere else lol

Old 09-08-2016, 03:33 AM

4,444 posts, read 1,731,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Maybe he could start by actually speaking to us in a respectful manner and not trying to get our vote by belittling us in front of a majority White audience?
Right.. he's not very believable or authentic when he says or implies one thing, then tries to cover his a__. I stumbled upon an article recently describing how he had treated or referred to employees in his hotels, for instance. (I think he is disgusting and hardly one who should be eligible to lead the country. It is shocking that he has even gotten this far).

Old 09-08-2016, 09:58 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,290,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post

There are blacks who seem to have differing view points on this forum which just shows you how people's personal network can alter there perception of the city. Anybody who has lived here long enough can attest to this.Especially if your coming from a place where you already know a bunch of people and come to a place--especially the L.A.-- where you may not know or understand the people just yet.

That's why I'm usually skeptical of people's opinions if they say they got here recently or less than a year. Then after they've been here for awhile they soften their tone usually. I've known plenty of transplants of all races who think this way.

Travel more brother. Once you begin to travel you will see that most cities are segregated by class and race just like in LA. LA is just as segregated with whites along the coast, Mexicans in the IE, etc. Most people want to live around the same class of people as they are. White people damn sure arent looking for diversity unless they are trying to gentrify a neighborhood. Stop acting like LA isnt as segregated as any other city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles