U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 AM

198 posts, read 139,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Actually LA is back in the #1 spot for worst traffic. I believe Atlanta held the crown for a few years, but this was published just a few days ago: TomTom Names Los Angeles as the U.S. City With the Worst Traffic - Fortune

Of course it is bad for your health. I think the mode of constant vigilance is worse than the sedentary part. It'd be one thing if you had to drive an hour and a half each way but there wasn't as much congestion; you could play your favorite music, set cruise control, and sail on. But with all the stop-and-go, tailgating, getting cut off, jockeying for position...your body probably thinks you're in a literal fight and releases stress hormones accordingly. Don't even get me started on the conditions of surface streets. I hear a lot of Angelenos say that all large cities have bad roads--those people haven't visited other large cities recently. Their roads still aren't as neglected as the ones here.
Yes, the constant vigilance.......or after working a full day and seeing all red brake lights in front of you, very depressing. I pulled off fwy (5 north) the other day due to literally falling asleep at the wheel.....
This post was about....how do people do this???? I see them all everyday.....one poster said LA is not the #1 place for most traffic, but yes it is....I just read it last week....Carmegeddon everyday.

Time to sell house...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:52 AM

Thanks for your responses......I guess I did not need to post all this, what is true is what I already know.............IF a situation does not benefit you do not stay in it.....

Old 03-29-2016, 12:34 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,269,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePlovesME View Post
Woodland Hills area...to Anaheim daily............terrible.
That is not an average LA commute, it's just bad any way you cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Family member: 600 miles a week for 16 years. He listens to recorded books, mostly educational ones; it's like he has gotten another college degree. Says it gives him 'alone time.' Knows all the freeways, roads and shortcuts in the LA Metro. Remains unruffled in traffic jams, and has seen every kind of rude, unskilled, spaced-out, and distracted driver out there, every kind of accident, blockage, police action, road debris. Tells great stories. Runs on the treadmill every morning to beat the aches and is slim and fit.

Some people can just do it.
Agreed. My boss commutes Chicago to Milwaukee everyday (1.5hrs one way), and listens to educational podcasts the whole time. This gives him new ideas on the regular. You'd think he was perpetually in an MBA program.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:41 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,783,083 times
Quote:
Like I said it was due to my particular field and not finding work in a closer area..........yes I guess I was not honest about it.....thinking I could handle it, now I feel guilty. BUT nothing is worth the nightmare.....
The house has been owned for many years before area became so crowded..........so its not a good example about buying house near JFK and wondering about why there is noise..
AND you like to judge people without knowing full story..........
HAPPILY house is on the market to sell for a good price because it has caused me to turn down job offers.....like I cannot go to wherever because of house......

It's called an analogy.

You're complaining about a situation you had to know was going to be awful, just like someone buying a house by a busy airport, than being shocked about jet noise.

How could you not know it would be a nightmare commute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
That is not an average LA commute, it's just bad any way you cut it.

Agreed. My boss commutes Chicago to Milwaukee everyday (1.5hrs one way), and listens to educational podcasts the whole time. This gives him new ideas on the regular. You'd think he was perpetually in an MBA program.
Exactly. It's not an average commute.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's called an analogy.

You're complaining about a situation you had to know was going to be awful, just like someone buying a house by a busy airport, than being shocked about jet noise.

How could you not know it would be a nightmare commute?

Exactly. It's not an average commute.
Is this about One up manship..........give it a break..you dont know my situation....find something else to do, I am done with this blog.
You are the type that wants to just make themselves look good, I owe you no explanation ....

Old 03-29-2016, 03:06 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,783,083 times
Quote:
Is this about One up manship..........give it a break..you dont know my situation....find something else to do, I am done with this blog.
You are the type that wants to just make themselves look good, I owe you no explanation ....

LOL...not trying to make myself look good.

You took a job that you had to know would be a horrific commute.

You're right you don't owe anyone an explanation. But when you come on here and start a thread about how bad LA traffic is and than turns out to be about some insane commute that you decided to do, well don't blame LA traffic in your situation.

Woodland Hills to Anaheim.

Look, I am sorry that you have this terrible drive, but you had to know it was going to beyond bad.

Last edited by seain dublin; 03-29-2016 at 03:35 PM..

Old 03-29-2016, 03:15 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,591,846 times
Quote:
A horrible commute with no central trans or subway system is unbearable and although LA has tried and there is Orange line now.....it does not help in all cases. San Francisco is much more doable and or course smaller area.
Its 55 miles from Woodland Hills to Anaheim! Try an equivalent commute in the SF Bay area like Fairfield to South San Francisco. It will be even worse than LA because the bridges create incredible traffic bottlenecks with no possible alternate routes.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:21 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,394,110 times
Caveat ... this was nearly 30 years ago ... however ... freeways were less in capacity, rail was minimal, so maybe equivalent.

I had two job interviews in one afternoon. I worked in Ventura County at the time. Left work at noon. Interview #1 was off of The 91 in Anaheim. Went and did that one, finished up about 3PM. Oh, and on a Friday. Interview #2 was in Filipino Town. I am proud of the fact I was merely 15 minutes late. Actually, the 101 was not as bad as I expected. Needless to say, as impressive as all this might have been, I was darn glad this was not a daily adventure.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Its 55 miles from Woodland Hills to Anaheim! Try an equivalent commute in the SF Bay area like Fairfield to South San Francisco. It will be even worse than LA because the bridges create incredible traffic bottlenecks with no possible alternate routes.
What about BART and the muni (which is only in the city??). I know my son was living in San Leandro and commuting into SF.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL...not trying to make myself look good.

You took a job that you had to know would be a horrific commute.

You're right you don't owe anyone an explanation. But when you come on here and start a thread about how bad LA traffic is and than turns out to be about some insane commute that you decided to do, well don't blame LA traffic in your situation.

Woodland Hills to Anaheim.

Look, I am sorry that you have this terrible drive, but you had to know it was going to beyond bad.
Thanks Seain......that is why I put a stop to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or