Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:26 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,743 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to LA the idea of driving anywhere for 30 minutes was unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePlovesME View Post
Woodland Hills area...to Anaheim daily............terrible.
Why are you even doing this in the first place? The only logical reason I can come up with is you own a condo/home in Woodland Hills, you have been at the same company for many years and you're close to retirement, and they recently moved their offices down to Anaheim from where they used to be much closer to your home.

Other than that I don't get it.

I have never, ever done a commute in LA like that nor would I.

And FYI, LA isn't the only place with heavy traffic, in fact LA isn't even #1 in traffic.

Go back east and see what's it like, than add in the winter.

Don't blame LA traffic when you for some reason are doing a ridiculous commute. Heck even at 2am when the freeways would be wide open that's still quite a drive to be doing daily.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:19 PM

601 posts, read 755,654 times
Yes, like others said...move, if you can.

I think there are two camps of people in LA when it comes to housing: the (no offense) old-fashioned way of buying or renting a cheaper/larger/newer place further out, and enduring the drive. Or, the newer school way of moving into a smaller/older/pricier apartment in the city, sacrificing living space but sparing yourself that torture.

If you wanna keep the apartment/house, get another job. If you wanna keep the job, get another apartment. they are incompatible.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:23 PM

198 posts, read 211,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why are you even doing this in the first place? The only logical reason I can come up with is you own a condo/home in Woodland Hills, you have been at the same company for many years and you're close to retirement, and they recently moved their offices down to Anaheim from where they used to be much closer to your home.

Other than that I don't get it.

I have never, ever done a commute in LA like that nor would I.

And FYI, LA isn't the only place with heavy traffic, in fact LA isn't even #1 in traffic.

Go back east and see what's it like, than add in the winter.

Don't blame LA traffic when you for some reason are doing a ridiculous commute. Heck even at 2am when the freeways would be wide open that's still quite a drive to be doing daily.

Because that is where I found a job in my particular field....and yes own home around Woodland Hills area.......
I never said LA was only city with heavy traffic....all major cities have horrible traffic, but where I am working I cannot even take Metro link....that is why it does not work not matter the opportunity.

I had you answering me before, with snotty comments,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I will blame LA....some of us cannot find work down the street.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Yes, like others said...move, if you can. I think there are two camps of people in LA when it comes to housing: the (no offense) old-fashioned way of buying or renting a cheaper/larger/newer place further out, and enduring the drive. Or, the newer school way of moving into a smaller/older/pricier apartment in the city, sacrificing living space but sparing yourself that torture.

Personally, I choose #2.

You are absolutely right and that seems to be the choice in all major cities......I always hated the valley for this reason and feel so sorry for people that have it worst and live in Santa Clarita etc....
A horrible commute with no central trans or subway system is unbearable and although LA has tried and there is Orange line now.....it does not help in all cases. San Francisco is much more doable and or course smaller area.

thanks for input

Old 03-28-2016, 09:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Because that is where I found a job in my particular field....and yes own home around Woodland Hills area.......
I never said LA was only city with heavy traffic....all major cities have horrible traffic, but where I am working I cannot even take Metro link....that is why it does not work not matter the opportunity.

I had you answering me before, with snotty comments,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I will blame LA....some of us cannot find work down the street.

No, it's your fault. I have had 5 different jobs in LA in over 25 years, and when I decided to change jobs the first thing I considered was commute. If it was too far, I didn't even bother sending a resume.

The only time I did more than a 20 mile commute, I took Metrolink. If that hadn't been an option than I wouldn't have changed jobs.

You couldn't find anything in your field closer to home? Find that hard to believe.

No one says you have to work down the street, but honestly what did you think you were going to face with that kind of drive? Maybe, if you worked 9pm to 5am, and that's still a long drive.

You're like someone who buys a house by JFK airport and than is surprised about jet noise.

Come on, you had to know this was going to be awful.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:46 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Actually LA is back in the #1 spot for worst traffic. I believe Atlanta held the crown for a few years, but this was published just a few days ago: TomTom Names Los Angeles as the U.S. City With the Worst Traffic - Fortune

Of course it is bad for your health. I think the mode of constant vigilance is worse than the sedentary part. It'd be one thing if you had to drive an hour and a half each way but there wasn't as much congestion; you could play your favorite music, set cruise control, and sail on. But with all the stop-and-go, tailgating, getting cut off, jockeying for position...your body probably thinks you're in a literal fight and releases stress hormones accordingly. Don't even get me started on the conditions of surface streets. I hear a lot of Angelenos say that all large cities have bad roads--those people haven't visited other large cities recently. Their roads still aren't as neglected as the ones here.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:24 PM

601 posts, read 755,654 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right and that seems to be the choice in all major cities......I always hated the valley for this reason and feel so sorry for people that have it worst and live in Santa Clarita etc....
A horrible commute with no central trans or subway system is unbearable and although LA has tried and there is Orange line now.....it does not help in all cases. San Francisco is much more doable and or course smaller area.

thanks for input
If you really love the job, have you considered selling the house and moving closer? Of course I don't know your situation, but if you can profit or break even from the sale, maybe it could enable you to move closer.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Family member: 600 miles a week for 16 years. He listens to recorded books, mostly educational ones; it's like he has gotten another college degree. Says it gives him 'alone time.' Knows all the freeways, roads and shortcuts in the LA Metro. Remains unruffled in traffic jams, and has seen every kind of rude, unskilled, spaced-out, and distracted driver out there, every kind of accident, blockage, police action, road debris. Tells great stories. Runs on the treadmill every morning to beat the aches and is slim and fit.

Some people can just do it.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, it's your fault. I have had 5 different jobs in LA in over 25 years, and when I decided to change jobs the first thing I considered was commute. If it was too far, I didn't even bother sending a resume.

The only time I did more than a 20 mile commute, I took Metrolink. If that hadn't been an option than I wouldn't have changed jobs.

You couldn't find anything in your field closer to home? Find that hard to believe.

No one says you have to work down the street, but honestly what did you think you were going to face with that kind of drive? Maybe, if you worked 9pm to 5am, and that's still a long drive.

You're like someone who buys a house by JFK airport and than is surprised about jet noise.

Come on, you had to know this was going to be awful.

Like I said it was due to my particular field and not finding work in a closer area..........yes I guess I was not honest about it.....thinking I could handle it, now I feel guilty. BUT nothing is worth the nightmare.....
The house has been owned for many years before area became so crowded..........so its not a good example about buying house near JFK and wondering about why there is noise..
AND you like to judge people without knowing full story..........
HAPPILY house is on the market to sell for a good price because it has caused me to turn down job offers.....like I cannot go to wherever because of house......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles