U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 05:30 PM

198 posts, read 138,644 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if any Los Angelinos can actually tolerate heavy traffic?? I mean like spending over 4 hours/day in traffic and sometimes more.
I left my job today for the simple fact that the traffic is "literally" killing me, I travel quite far.....but its not the distance so much but the traffic.
The Metro link does not go to where I work and sometimes I work night......just wondering how others cope.....
Everyone talks about LA is the worst traffic in the nation, but when you end up living it its another matter
But I am still posting the question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 05:35 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,105 times
Where are you living and where are you going too?

Old 03-28-2016, 05:36 PM

Woodland Hills area...to Anaheim daily............terrible.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:37 PM

407 posts, read 624,320 times
Let me guess your job is in the nightmare town for traffic San Fernando Valley ?!

Find a job in downtown L.A , central hub for transportation in Southern California

Old 03-28-2016, 05:37 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePlovesME View Post
Yeah, That's pretty bad. I don't blame you for quitting.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:43 PM

300 posts, read 327,845 times
Yep it's rough. SOmeone on reddit actually created a map based off of how much time you can save from not being in a car if you move to certain areas. It's pretty great.

With that said, I was in the car for an equal amount of time. I take the MetroLink when I can and it helps as I don't have anything to worry about to be honest. I do plan on moving somewhere along the Expo or Gold lines however. $100 to travel into work all month is worth it to me.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:49 PM

Thanks for your input.....I would be grateful for a position in LA, as I am going to OC. Daughter is having same problem working in West Holly....from SFV. It is something we all struggle with, she is willing to pay much for an apt closer to work just to not have the grueling commute...

I dont think people in other cities can possibly imagine.....Id kill for a subway or direct train, that way you do not arrive at work totally depleted......not to complain...

Old 03-28-2016, 06:07 PM

1,134 posts, read 962,190 times
How can traffic not kill you - it is just pure science. You are sedentary for hours at a time, which is bad for your heart and weight. You are also also breathing terrible air from being stuck among a bunch of cars spewing Co2.

I had a relative who left the state, because he couldn't handle the traffic (1+ hours every day in each direction). I can't remember where he commuted to, but he lived in Monrovia. He had a great house, close to family etc. but traffic was crushing him. They couldn't move because his wife's job was in the opposite direction, so they were splitting traffic.

And neither could leave, because he worked for the federal government and was on the pension track and she was also on pension track in the private sector.

BTW, i think LA gets an unfair rep for traffic. Every major city has terrible traffic - chicago, ATLANTA, NYC, DC, Bay Area... Traffic just sucks everywhere. I think the biggest thing about LA is that it is so spread out and much bigger than other areas. But rush hour sucks everywhere

Last edited by HappyinCali; 03-28-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 06:16 PM

387 posts, read 336,400 times
Welcome to The Rat Race of Southern Sprawl-i-fornia.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:02 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,962,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePlovesME View Post
Yeah, that's just crazy. I live in Woodland Hills and it's hard to get me to go to Disneyland once a year, but daily ???

I'm on the road every day as a real estate appraiser, but I know the traffic patterns and make my appointments accordingly. I never get on the Ventura Freeway before 11:00 in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or