U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2016, 03:56 PM
 
24 posts, read 16,749 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So true, the thing is cities like Atlanta, Dallas, and Denver have skylines that more resemble LA than NYC. In fact most large American cities are this way.

Sounds like the OP hasn't seen very much of LA based on what is written, flew into LAX and never left the westside on her one time visit...LOL.

And I don't get this I moving "regardless" attitude. No enthusiasm at all in the move, just pointing out things they didn't like or seemed odd to her.

Not everyone has to love LA and that is actually a good thing, I don't get moving across the country for a job to a place you seem so underwhelmed with.
I just want to build up my career before I start being so fussy about where I live! I'll save that for when I hit my 30's. I truly believe that you should work your a** off and be career oriented until you hit your 30's because it will result in a better, more stable life. You can easily move wherever you please if you establish yourself while you're young.

But honestly, I think I will adapt easily to LA because it's still the 2nd largest city in America. There are definitely things for me to do there so I can enjoy my time. Maybe I can't get Chinese food at 5 AM or stay out in the club until the sun rises, but hey, I need to relax a little anyways.

I haven't really been to any American cities besides Philly, NYC and LA. I have been to plenty cities outside the US while I was in college though. But these places were Paris, Mumbai, and Tokyo (I have family there). None of these cities have the same sprawl and feel as LA, which is why I'm not 100% enthusiastic about actually living there for a while. That's also the reason why LA felt like a suburb because it lacked the walkability and buildings I'm used to.
Walkability in LA seems to mean you drive somewhere on the wide roads in your own personal bubble, park in a garage, and take a stroll in a neighborhood that will never feel the same as a non-car oriented city. It's not a bad thing. It's just foreign to me and I don't know what to expect. Downtown Pasadena or Venice beach or Santa Monica, etc, etc will never feel the same as a place like Paris or Soho here in NYC but that's not really a bad thing. It's just different for me personally.
LA is so foreign to me that the idea of valet parking was something I pictured only the extreme wealthy New Jersey people do when they visit NYC in their Rolls Royces, but in LA, it seems like valet parking is everywhere in Koreatown, West Hollywood, etc.

I guess I kind of feel the same way an LA native would feel about moving to somewhere like Hong Kong.

Last edited by vicky109; 03-30-2016 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2016, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Altadena, CA
1,519 posts, read 1,416,454 times
Reputation: 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
A word of advice, if you end up moving here don't start whining about how things are different here compared to the east coast. It's not the east coast and that's how we like it.

I grew up in NY, I wouldn't live back there again because of things like honking and just in general rudeness. Went back there in 2014 and it's impossible not to notice the differences in how people treat each other.(that's why I have lived out here for more than 25 years).

From your comments you sound like the type who may start every sentence with "well in Boston, NY, Philly"...wherever you're coming from.

Don't do that, or don't move.

You adapt to LA, not the other way around.

Hear, hear! I'm planning my move to LA and I am so, so excited and proud to make this move - no damn doubt in my mind whatsoever . I have long visited LA as a tourist and I decided a few years back to make the big move there. I don't have a job offer lined up yet, in time I will, but I too am perplexed by OP's nonchalance, as if it's so common for people to be offered a posh job in SM prior to moving there, and they are left to ponder, 'hey, will I even like it there w/o a foot of snow ruining my commute?'. It's almost like she/he is trolling, bragging. Instead of asking strangers if I will enjoy LA, I would be asking for friendly tips and advice to make my transition easier and more enjoyable.

But, that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 04:20 PM
 
16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Reputation: 33226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Hear, hear! I'm planning my move to LA and I am so, so excited and proud to make this move - no damn doubt in my mind whatsoever . I have long visited LA as a tourist and I decided a few years back to make the big move there. I don't have a job offer lined up yet, in time I will, but I too am perplexed by OP's nonchalance, as if it's so common for people to be offered a posh job in SM prior to moving there, and they are left to ponder, 'hey, will I even like it there w/o a foot of snow ruining my commute?'. It's almost like she/he is trolling, bragging. Instead of asking strangers if I will enjoy LA, I would be asking for friendly tips and advice to make my transition easier and more enjoyable.

But, that's just me.
MIto BH, very familiar with your posts and have the right attitude.

Exactly, instead of "Hi, this is Vicky and I have a job offer in SM, can you guys suggest places to live and things to do", you get putdowns and negativity. From someone who from her comments has very limited knowledge/experience in regards to LA.

No job is worth moving to an area you don't like, and the thing is until you start the job you have no idea if it's going to be wonderful or horrific. The boss who interviewed you who seemed so great turns out to be a micro manager, or you have a difficult coworker. That's bad enough when you're a local, and like where you live. But to move across the country to a place you don't really care for...I don't think so.

Foolish to move to an area you don't really care for, even if the job does work out, there is more to life than work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 04:37 PM
 
24 posts, read 16,749 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Hear, hear! I'm planning my move to LA and I am so, so excited and proud to make this move - no damn doubt in my mind whatsoever . I have long visited LA as a tourist and I decided a few years back to make the big move there. I don't have a job offer lined up yet, in time I will, but I too am perplexed by OP's nonchalance, as if it's so common for people to be offered a posh job in SM prior to moving there, and they are left to ponder, 'hey, will I even like it there w/o a foot of snow ruining my commute?'. It's almost like she/he is trolling, bragging. Instead of asking strangers if I will enjoy LA, I would be asking for friendly tips and advice to make my transition easier and more enjoyable.

But, that's just me.
I'm sorry. I didn't know it was common for people to move somewhere and then find a job after they move. I'm being completely honest here. I just follow wherever my job takes me for now. My parents just moved wherever the jobs were. Before I was born, they lived in Louisiana (lol) and Indiana but not by choice.
To me, moving to LA is just the same as moving to any old regular place. LA is still a normal place no matter how pretty it is, just like how NYC is a normal place no matter how much people sensationalize it.

I would also advise you to not move to a new city without a job lined up unless you have enough money to live for months there. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but your dream to live in LA will be best experienced if you have a job before moving. That's what I think though and I don't mean to sound negative in any way.
Maybe my sense of job availability is skewed because I work in the healthcare field... so I do apologize for seeming to chill about the whole thing. In the healthcare field, you can get a job in almost any city you desire.

Also, asking if I will enjoy LA is a pretty straight forward question to ask... Why would I try to manipulate my question by phrasing it differently?

Last edited by vicky109; 03-30-2016 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 04:40 PM
 
24 posts, read 16,749 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
MIto BH, very familiar with your posts and have the right attitude.

Exactly, instead of "Hi, this is Vicky and I have a job offer in SM, can you guys suggest places to live and things to do", you get putdowns and negativity. From someone who from her comments has very limited knowledge/experience in regards to LA.

No job is worth moving to an area you don't like, and the thing is until you start the job you have no idea if it's going to be wonderful or horrific. The boss who interviewed you who seemed so great turns out to be a micro manager, or you have a difficult coworker. That's bad enough when you're a local, and like where you live. But to move across the country to a place you don't really care for...I don't think so.

Foolish to move to an area you don't really care for, even if the job does work out, there is more to life than work.
No.. Like I said before, I'm still focusing on my career so it's okay for me to put myself in an uncomfortable position because it will pay off in the long run. This whole thread is just me wondering what LA is like and if I will enjoy it. Even if I don't enjoy it, I'm not moving until I find a better job. I'm the type of person to writhe in pain for 10 years so that I can enjoy the next 60 years of life. A bad boss or a bad neighborhood is just something you have to put up with if you want things in life. Nothing good is easy!

Last edited by vicky109; 03-30-2016 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 05:00 PM
 
16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Reputation: 33226
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky109 View Post
I just want to build up my career before I start being so fussy about where I live! I'll save that for when I hit my 30's. I truly believe that you should work your a** off and be career oriented until you hit your 30's because it will result in a better, more stable life. You can easily move wherever you please if you establish yourself while you're young.

But honestly, I think I will adapt easily to LA because it's still the 2nd largest city in America. There are definitely things for me to do there so I can enjoy my time. Maybe I can't get Chinese food at 5 AM or stay out in the club until the sun rises, but hey, I need to relax a little anyways.

I haven't really been to any American cities besides Philly, NYC and LA. I have been to plenty cities outside the US while I was in college though. But these places were Paris, Mumbai, and Tokyo (I have family there). None of these cities have the same sprawl and feel as LA, which is why I'm not 100% enthusiastic about actually living there for a while. That's also the reason why LA felt like a suburb because it lacked the walkability and buildings I'm used to.
Walkability in LA seems to mean you drive somewhere on the wide roads in your own personal bubble, park in a garage, and take a stroll in a neighborhood that will never feel the same as a non-car oriented city. It's not a bad thing. It's just foreign to me and I don't know what to expect. Downtown Pasadena or Venice beach or Santa Monica, etc, etc will never feel the same as a place like Paris or Soho here in NYC but that's not really a bad thing. It's just different for me personally.
LA is so foreign to me that the idea of valet parking was something I pictured only the extreme wealthy New Jersey people do when they visit NYC in their Rolls Royces, but in LA, it seems like valet parking is everywhere in Koreatown, West Hollywood, etc.

I guess I kind of feel the same way an LA native would feel about moving to somewhere like Hong Kong.

Sorry Vicky, you don't have a handle on LA as I said before. I can't tell you the last time I valet parked my car. West Hollywood isn't even LA, it's it's own separate city. Now the last time I was there was to eat at some overpriced restaurant(owned by some Reality TV star, I didn't even know who they were as I don't watch that kind of TV), it wasn't very good and we found metered street parking....LOL.

And only there because an out of town guest wanted to eat there due to this show.

I think you have a limited understanding of LA and various neighborhoods. There are plenty of walkable areas and mass transit while not on the level of NY has made it possible to get around by train/subway much easier.

[quote=vicky109;43543586]No.. Like I said before, I'm still focusing on my career so it's okay for me to put myself in an uncomfortable position because it will pay off in the long run. This whole thread is just me wondering what LA is like and if I will enjoy it. Even if I don't enjoy it, I'm not moving until I find a better job. I'm the type of person to writhe in pain for 10 years so that I can enjoy the next 60 years of life. A bad boss or a bad neighborhood is just something you have to put up with if you want things in life.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't relocate somewhere just for a job. And if you do turn out to have a horrible boss, you don't have family and long time friends and familiar places to take your mind off it. You moved for a job, and t than it turns out not to what you thought would be, it would be different if you really wanted to be in LA and could say "well at least I love living here".

It doesn't sound like you care for LA, and that is OK, I just don't get putting all my eggs in one basket for a job, your industry whatever it is could downsize, and you find you have to change gears down the road anyway. So suffering through for the sake of career, can end up being a waste of time.

It would like me saying I'm going to take this great job in Greenville, SC when I can't stand humidity, have no family there, and don't really care for the south. But the job is great...no thanks.

There is more to life than work, but again you're young and don't see that yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 05:15 PM
 
24 posts, read 16,749 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry Vicky, you don't have a handle on LA as I said before. I can't tell you the last time I valet parked my car. West Hollywood isn't even LA, it's it's own separate city. Now the last time I was there was to eat at some overpriced restaurant(owned by some Reality TV star, I didn't even know who they were as I don't watch that kind of TV), it wasn't very good and we found metered street parking....LOL.

And only there because an out of town guest wanted to eat there due to this show.

I think you have a limited understanding of LA and various neighborhoods. There are plenty of walkable areas and mass transit while not on the level of NY has made it possible to get around by train/subway much easier.

I wouldn't relocate somewhere just for a job. And if you do turn out to have a horrible boss, you don't have family and long time friends and familiar places to take your mind off it. You moved for a job, and t than it turns out not to what you thought would be, it would be different if you really wanted to be in LA and could say "well at least I love living here".

It doesn't sound like you care for LA, and that is OK, I just don't get putting all my eggs in one basket for a job, your industry whatever it is could downsize, and you find you have to change gears down the road anyway. So suffering through for the sake of career, can end up being a waste of time.

It would like me saying I'm going to take this great job in Greenville, SC when I can't stand humidity, have no family there, and don't really care for the south. But the job is great...no thanks.

There is more to life than work, but again you're young and don't see that yet.
No, I don't know LA as well as people that live there because I was only there for two weeks...

I'm really intrigued by what you have to say because I never heard anyone say things like, "there's more to life than work," or something along those lines in my friend group.
A huge majority of the people I talk to do not work to be all happy and cute. They work to get money and feel successful even if it means working overtime on a regular basis. Nobody is "finding themselves" or "dabbling in _____," or "checking out _____,"
With that being said, some people here are actually crazy. A friend of mine is a medical resident and she works insane hours and still parties till 3 AM but most people consider that relatively normal. I was still a bartender when I worked 12 hour shift 3 days a week at the cardiac ICU. I would still go out with my friends or boyfriend after my 12 hour shifts too. Get 4 - 5 hours of sleep, wake up, work like a dog, and go out again the next night. It truly does feel rewarding to do once you get used to it.

It seems like nobody I know actually enjoys living and working in NYC. We enjoy the convenience of having Ethiopian food and Bengali food on the same block, but most of us, including me, always feel like we want to leave the city. But when we actually do leave the city, we get antsy, start pacing, and violently twitching until we are back because everywhere in the USA is so different. I basically start to miss the city after being gone for a few days to visit family in Philly.
The only thing that holds us back here in NYC are the job opportunities, the 24/7 convenience, and the feeling that we get in the city. The city, at least when I first moved here, made me want to work harder for some reason.

However, I have no problem with being in LA for a job because that's what I want to focus on. I just hope that I can maintain a somewhat familiar lifestyle while I'm there but if I can't, who cares? I'll live wherever I want to eventually.

Or maybe I'll move to LA and find out that I like it there.. Who knows?

Last edited by vicky109; 03-30-2016 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 05:18 PM
 
3,868 posts, read 2,502,614 times
Reputation: 2495
Wanna feel closer to home? Koreatown, Hollywood, and Downtown are for you. Hell even Pasadena(close to the gold line) feels like a small east coast town.
Here's Koreatown for reference:
Koreatown - Album on Imgur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 05:22 PM
 
24 posts, read 16,749 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Wanna feel closer to home? Koreatown, Hollywood, and Downtown are for you. Hell even Pasadena(close to the gold line) feels like a small east coast town.
Here's Koreatown for reference:
Koreatown - Album on Imgur
I enjoyed Koreatown when I visited LA! It's a very nice, clean place with lots of convenient stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 05:26 PM
 
3,868 posts, read 2,502,614 times
Reputation: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky109 View Post
I enjoyed Koreatown when I visited LA! It's a very nice, clean place with lots of convenient stores.
Then there you go. Live in Ktown and you are connected to the more NY feeling parts of L.A. But still far from Santa Monica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top