Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky109 View Post
Actually, I was also shocked by the lack of pedestrians and how impossible it was to cross the street without using an actual crosswalk. I'm kind of used to just "jaywalking" through narrow one way streets when the coast is clear. The fact that you had to push a little button to be able to cross the street was also foreign to me!

It was also kind of weird to be in a city full of low and medium density type buildings with absolutely no skyscrapers, no pedestrians walking about, no sirens wailing, and no cars honking. So odd!

I left all of that out because it's just an inevitable part of LA that can't be changed easily. LA is just built differently than the east coast.

Also, I would say that even now, the drivers in LA are much more courteous than what I'm used to! I guess it's a bitter sweet characteristic of LA because driving will be much more relaxed, but I may get annoyed by how courteous and slow everyone is. I'm used to driving in a right-of-way doesn't exist/go at least 80 in a 50 mph zone/change lanes just to get 3 cars ahead in traffic kind of style...
A word of advice, if you end up moving here don't start whining about how things are different here compared to the east coast. It's not the east coast and that's how we like it.

I grew up in NY, I wouldn't live back there again because of things like honking and just in general rudeness. Went back there in 2014 and it's impossible not to notice the differences in how people treat each other.(that's why I have lived out here for more than 25 years).

From your comments you sound like the type who may start every sentence with "well in Boston, NY, Philly"...wherever you're coming from.

Don't do that, or don't move.

You adapt to LA, not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times
Quote:
Actually, I was also shocked by the lack of pedestrians and how impossible it was to cross the street without using an actual crosswalk. I'm kind of used to just "jaywalking" through narrow one way streets when the coast is clear. The fact that you had to push a little button to be able to cross the street was also foreign to me!
depends where you go. certain neighborhoods like downtown and parts of hollywood, santa monica, and venice have plenty of pedestrians.

Quote:
It was also kind of weird to be in a city full of low and medium density type buildings with absolutely no skyscrapers, no pedestrians walking about, no sirens wailing, and no cars honking. So odd!
i guess you didn't go to downtown or century city.

Quote:
I left all of that out because it's just an inevitable part of LA that can't be changed easily. LA is just built differently than the east coast.
true, but certain pockets of the city are getting more dense and vertical, and the region as a whole is much more dense than most outsiders realize.

Quote:
Also, I would say that even now, the drivers in LA are much more courteous than what I'm used to! I guess it's a bitter sweet characteristic of LA because driving will be much more relaxed, but I may get annoyed by how courteous and slow everyone is. I'm used to driving in a right-of-way doesn't exist/go at least 80 in a 50 mph zone/change lanes just to get 3 cars ahead in traffic kind of style...
the courteous drivers in la (relative to the northeast corridor) are something to look forward to, not bemoan. don't be like those transplants who bring their bad driving habits from home; instead, assimilate to the local culture, which is far more chill than life in the northeast.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:53 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times
Quote:
I learned that Monterey Park is actually a really nice area and it seems affordable too. Don't know how commuting to Santa Monica from there would be though. Maybe that's not a good idea.

I'll consider living in Santa Monica with the new rail system they'll be getting. That's cool!
don't commute from monterey park to santa monica. live as close to your office as possible, and visit monterey park on the weekends for the great chinese food.

a short daily commute will immensely help you enjoy your time in los angeles.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:23 PM

24 posts, read 43,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
A word of advice, if you end up moving here don't start whining about how things are different here compared to the east coast. It's not the east coast and that's how we like it.

I grew up in NY, I wouldn't live back there again because of things like honking and just in general rudeness. Went back there in 2014 and it's impossible not to notice the differences in how people treat each other.(that's why I have lived out here for more than 25 years).

From your comments you sound like the type who may start every sentence with "well in Boston, NY, Philly"...wherever you're coming from.

Don't do that, or don't move.

You adapt to LA, not the other way around.
I'm moving regardless. I understand the differences so I won't really point them out to people unless they're from the east coast themselves
It's just that I was born in Philadelphia and relocated to NYC so I never really lived in any other part of the United States... When I first went to LA, I literally felt like I was in a movie set that depicted the stereotypical American suburb, kind of like The Purge movies or something.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:28 PM

24 posts, read 43,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
don't commute from monterey park to santa monica. live as close to your office as possible, and visit monterey park on the weekends for the great chinese food.

a short daily commute will immensely help you enjoy your time in los angeles.
Thanks for the tip. You're right. I drive a stick shift car with a really heavy clutch so I might be better off living near Santa Monica. My car is kind of like my little "toy" because I never needed it in NYC. It's purely for fun. I think I might buy a used automatic Toyota or something for driving in LA daily.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I'm moving regardless. I understand the differences so I won't really point them out to people unless they're from the east coast themselves
It's just that I was born in Philadelphia and relocated to NYC so I never really lived in any other part of the United States... When I first went to LA, I literally felt like I was in a movie set that depicted the stereotypical American suburb, kind of like The Purge movies or something.

Well it doesn't sound like you have seen much of LA or have a real handle on the area. As one poster already pointed out we do have skyscrapers. And a commute from MP to SM would be insane. Just the fact that you would even ask that, shows you don't know the area.

The thing is it is very tiring to hear someone whine about how things are different. If you choose to move somewhere(I mean you're taking a job by choice, it's not like an ill relative needs your help) than you blend in with the area, and look for the positives.

Why would you need to point out differences to other east coast people? That doesn't even make sense. You don't need to tell someone from NY how different LA is, I'm originally from NY, I know the differences and prefer it out here for many reasons.

You haven't seen the old homes in the West Adams district, or NE LA, or places like South Pasadena.

I don't see any enthusiasm about moving here, just how you like things better back east.

Trust me, you're not going to make any friends doing the "well in Philly this is how we do _____", and that goes for long term transplants as well as natives.

People don't want to hear it.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:42 PM

242 posts, read 493,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Santa Monica is a hip area. A lot young folks with jobs at tech companies, etc. If you don't like Santa Monica then you'll never like LA.

The only thing I don't like about Santa Monica is all of the homeless people that the politicians welcome. Too many "West-side Liberals".
I do not like Santa Monica, but I like LA.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:43 PM

329 posts, read 627,869 times
You might destroy your stick even if you move close your work. If you work regular hours, even going just one block may take 20 mins. Move close to work then bike to work and you can TRY to enjoy your stick on sundays. WLA is always packed all year even on sat/sun's.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:01 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i guess you didn't go to downtown or century city.
East Coasters always seem to think of NYC as being nothing but soaring, beautiful skyscrapers and never seem to notice that Los Angeles has buildings over four stories high. It's the weirdest thing.

Quote:
Very little of Los Angeles proper actually feels like suburbs. That's just a silly stereotype. You should do some exploring. Just because you have room to breathe here doesn't mean you're in the suburbs.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
East Coasters always seem to think of NYC as being nothing but soaring, beautiful skyscrapers and never seem to notice that Los Angeles has buildings over four stories high. It's the weirdest thing.

Very little of Los Angeles proper actually feels like suburbs. That's just a silly stereotype. You should do some exploring. Just because you have room to breathe here doesn't mean you're in the suburbs.
So true, the thing is cities like Atlanta, Dallas, and Denver have skylines that more resemble LA than NYC. In fact most large American cities are this way.

Sounds like the OP hasn't seen very much of LA based on what is written, flew into LAX and never left the westside on her one time visit...LOL.

And I don't get this I moving "regardless" attitude. No enthusiasm at all in the move, just pointing out things they didn't like or seemed odd to her.

Not everyone has to love LA and that is actually a good thing, I don't get moving across the country for a job to a place you seem so underwhelmed with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles