U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-29-2016, 10:00 PM
 
24 posts, read 16,749 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

I just got a job offer that I can't deny in Santa Monica, CA. Of course I'm moving there because I always put my career over petty things like whether I will like the city or not, but I've always lived in east coast metros.

Will I actually like living in Los Angeles? I'm moving there regardless, but I'd just like to get a heads up from some LA locals.

A few years ago, I actually visited friends from college that live in LA. I did enjoy it, but... there are some things that I was not comfortable with. Call it culture shock if you will?

Driving was much different in LA. It was difficult to do things that I thought was normal without getting honked at or flipped off. I had to adjust my driving style within the first few hours of driving there in my rental car but I still drove much differently than anyone else even after a week.

Everything seemed less urban and isolated. I felt like there were just cars driving around and I never saw people until I went into clubs, bars, etc. It doesn't feel busy in LA apart from the vehicle traffic.

Street parking was awkward. On most streets, you couldn't really park wherever your car fit because there were pre-made parking spaces that each had their very own parking meter.

Also, how expensive does parking get if you live in LA and go out every now and then? I came across many parking lots & valet parking that were expensive. Where I live, I usually only use my car when I know I will have free parking at my destination so I never thought twice about it.

But other than that, I think the city is a very nice place to be.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2016, 10:32 PM
 
3,876 posts, read 2,502,614 times
Reputation: 2497
What parts of Los Angeles were you in? Santa Monica has the Expo Line extension opening up in almost a month. So SaMo is gonna have a rail again for the first time in decades.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2016, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,083 posts, read 5,498,726 times
Reputation: 6407
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky109 View Post
I just got a job offer that I can't deny in Santa Monica, CA. Of course I'm moving there because I always put my career over petty things like whether I will like the city or not, but I've always lived in east coast metros.

Will I actually like living in Los Angeles? I'm moving there regardless, but I'd just like to get a heads up from some LA locals.

A few years ago, I actually visited friends from college that live in LA. I did enjoy it, but... there are some things that I was not comfortable with. Call it culture shock if you will?

Driving was much different in LA. It was difficult to do things that I thought was normal without getting honked at or flipped off. I had to adjust my driving style within the first few hours of driving there in my rental car but I still drove much differently than anyone else even after a week.

Everything seemed less urban and isolated. I felt like there were just cars driving around and I never saw people until I went into clubs, bars, etc. It doesn't feel busy in LA apart from the vehicle traffic.

Street parking was awkward. On most streets, you couldn't really park wherever your car fit because there were pre-made parking spaces that each had their very own parking meter.

Also, how expensive does parking get if you live in LA and go out every now and then? I came across many parking lots & valet parking that were expensive. Where I live, I usually only use my car when I know I will have free parking at my destination so I never thought twice about it.

But other than that, I think the city is a very nice place to be.
Wow, you're doing pretty well if the only "culture shock" you experienced was the driving and parking! ;-)

I'm sad to hear about the aggressive driving. I lived in OC from 99-01 (relo from East Coast) and drove all over the area to visit clients....every freeway there was. The thing that amazed me was how COURTEOUS the drivers were! If you were on, say, one of the 12 or so lanes on the 405 and put your turn signal on to change lanes, people immediately let you in. No speeding up! I was told that if anyone honked at me, it was an East Coaster...certainly not a local. (Someone did honk and their tag was from TX.) Even my elderly Mom, who had no idea where she was going out there but had to brave the 405 to take me to LAX, said people were super-courteous.

Well, I guess that's all changed. I noticed it when I was visiting in the late 2000's -- people were very aggressive, lots of big trucks on lifts, tailgating, lane-changing and I even got honked and flipped-off.

I do know there can be quite a big culture shock for East coasters moving to SoCal -- not in a bad way, but you have to be prepared for an assimilation period. I eventually moved back and was kind of sorry I did....I was really happy there and felt like it was a two-year vacation. Good luck if you make the move!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2016, 11:32 PM
 
585 posts, read 625,077 times
Reputation: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
What parts of Los Angeles were you in? Santa Monica has the Expo Line extension opening up in almost a month. So SaMo is gonna have a rail again for the first time in decades.
SaMo...what planet are you from?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2016, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,083 posts, read 5,498,726 times
Reputation: 6407
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
SaMo...what planet are you from?
LOL....reminded me of SoDoSoPa from "South Park".....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2016, 11:51 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,351,854 times
Reputation: 5262
No one enjoys the traffic. It's just a matter of how much and where you drive. If you can minimize your daily commute that will make a huge difference. If you can afford to live in a walkable area you'll feel more at home because Angelenos flock to the walkable areas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 01:39 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,921 posts, read 1,780,821 times
Reputation: 2450
Santa Monica is a hip area. A lot young folks with jobs at tech companies, etc. If you don't like Santa Monica then you'll never like LA.

The only thing I don't like about Santa Monica is all of the homeless people that the politicians welcome. Too many "West-side Liberals".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 02:05 AM
 
3,876 posts, read 2,502,614 times
Reputation: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
SaMo...what planet are you from?
NeLa, but I sometimes goto NoHo. Never been to WeHo, but been to SoLa. Maybe one day I'll checkout Brooklyn to visit SoHo. Yakno?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 10:36 AM
 
24 posts, read 16,749 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Wow, you're doing pretty well if the only "culture shock" you experienced was the driving and parking! ;-)

I'm sad to hear about the aggressive driving. I lived in OC from 99-01 (relo from East Coast) and drove all over the area to visit clients....every freeway there was. The thing that amazed me was how COURTEOUS the drivers were! If you were on, say, one of the 12 or so lanes on the 405 and put your turn signal on to change lanes, people immediately let you in. No speeding up! I was told that if anyone honked at me, it was an East Coaster...certainly not a local. (Someone did honk and their tag was from TX.) Even my elderly Mom, who had no idea where she was going out there but had to brave the 405 to take me to LAX, said people were super-courteous.

Well, I guess that's all changed. I noticed it when I was visiting in the late 2000's -- people were very aggressive, lots of big trucks on lifts, tailgating, lane-changing and I even got honked and flipped-off.

I do know there can be quite a big culture shock for East coasters moving to SoCal -- not in a bad way, but you have to be prepared for an assimilation period. I eventually moved back and was kind of sorry I did....I was really happy there and felt like it was a two-year vacation. Good luck if you make the move!
Actually, I was also shocked by the lack of pedestrians and how impossible it was to cross the street without using an actual crosswalk. I'm kind of used to just "jaywalking" through narrow one way streets when the coast is clear. The fact that you had to push a little button to be able to cross the street was also foreign to me!

It was also kind of weird to be in a city full of low and medium density type buildings with absolutely no skyscrapers, no pedestrians walking about, no sirens wailing, and no cars honking. So odd!

I left all of that out because it's just an inevitable part of LA that can't be changed easily. LA is just built differently than the east coast.

Also, I would say that even now, the drivers in LA are much more courteous than what I'm used to! I guess it's a bitter sweet characteristic of LA because driving will be much more relaxed, but I may get annoyed by how courteous and slow everyone is. I'm used to driving in a right-of-way doesn't exist/go at least 80 in a 50 mph zone/change lanes just to get 3 cars ahead in traffic kind of style...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 10:37 AM
 
24 posts, read 16,749 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
What parts of Los Angeles were you in? Santa Monica has the Expo Line extension opening up in almost a month. So SaMo is gonna have a rail again for the first time in decades.
I was visiting friends in Glendale so I drove basically all over. Everywhere from Monterey Park to Malibu!
I learned that Monterey Park is actually a really nice area and it seems affordable too. Don't know how commuting to Santa Monica from there would be though. Maybe that's not a good idea.

I'll consider living in Santa Monica with the new rail system they'll be getting. That's cool!

Last edited by vicky109; 03-30-2016 at 10:45 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top