U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 02:47 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,578,639 times

Advertisements

There used to be an active gaming scene in LA. If you want to be away from the club scene or a lot of noise, the Valley might do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 09:10 PM

164 posts, read 528,236 times
Relative to the size of its population, it's not really a nightclubbing type of city. Its reputation as party central came from the 1990s and before, the Sunset Strip (which is becoming more like restaurant row + retail shops and office buildings).

Or to put it another way, Las Vegas has become the party destination for many LA/Socal residents because it's close/cheap enough to make it a weekend getaway - get a bunch of friends together, drive out there, split the hotel fare and party your ass off.

Nightclubs in LA seem to attract mostly early to mid 20-somethings (and the creepy old men that love them), and those clubs are concentrated in Hollywood (and West Hollywood for gay nightclubs). And they're perceived as tacky, particularly the ones in Hollywood. But for me that's based in ignorance because if you were to ask me to name one nightclub in LA, I can't! And I know I'm not alone in that.

Rest of the city, it's mostly restaurants, lounges/pubs, where you can sit down and just have a drink with friends. When I think of LA nightlife, I think of burgers and beers at a pub, or whiskey bars/lounges, or wine at a restaurant.

As others have said, the valley would be a good fit. Burbank in particular. Pasadena as well (Caltech is there and so some geek spillover). If you can afford it, some parts of the west side like Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey and Culver City tend to have more techie types given that most of the tech startups have their offices there (as well as Youtube based in Venice).

If you like Brooklyn, then you'd also like Echo Park, Silverlake, Highland Park.

Just remember: the tackiest, sleazy, douchey duckface reality TV wannabes tend to be well represented in Beverly Hills and the Hollywood Hills - and it's this tiny enclave in LA that outsiders think of when they think that LA is fake/tacky/etc. It's funny because Beverly Hills seems to be a popular "must see" destination for tourists, and yet for many locals in LA we avoid it whenever possible, or laugh about it.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:34 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,597,294 times
LA is an enormous city; it's silly to think that all people are of one type. Arguably the biggest class in LA is made up of working class families. While there are bars in DTLA, clubs in Hollywood and West Hollywood, I wouldn't call LA a city entirely based around clubbing at all.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:35 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,280,484 times
L.A is the second largest city in the country, there is plenty to do. Just explore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or