U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:57 PM

67 posts, read 69,534 times

Advertisements

Hey guys just wanted to know more about the vibe of your city. I'm 27 a web developer black and living Atlanta GA.

I am not really a club person. I am more of a artsy, laid back, nerd, gamer guy. If I ever did want to live in La what neighborhoods would fit my lifestyle. I heard it can be very fake and flashy there, and I would like to meet some down to earth people. I have lived in Boston and didn't like the people or elitism there. I am from Nj and have considered living in Brooklyn.

So let me know what else that LA has to offer other than clubbin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 01:59 PM

11,066 posts, read 8,991,849 times
clubbin' 'n beachin' is all we do here. sorry bro

Old 03-31-2016, 02:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,248,261 times
Los Angeles county is 4,751 square miles containing 13MM+ people. It's whatever you want it to be.
People who claim LA is fake and flashy are only regurgitating what they see on TV. Every city has flaky parts. We just export it via entertainment.
I live in Hollywood and have never been to an LA club. (and I'm about your age)

Old 03-31-2016, 02:33 PM

807 posts, read 658,193 times
There are plenty of areas in LA that are away from the nightlife/club scene.

If you came to LA, given that it seems like your hobbies are things that you could just do at home, then it would make no sense to pay a premium to live in certain areas of central and west LA where there is more nightlife or closer to various amenities and the beach.

You should perhaps consider parts of the Valley like Sherman Oaks and Studio City or perhaps suburban cities bordering LA such as Burbank, Glendale, or Pasadena where there are still things to do and have a bit more of a relaxed vibe if you ask me.

There are tons of opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking. Lots of things to do without having to step foot in a club or some other nightlife establishment.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:13 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,767,476 times
I spend most of my free time cycling and hiking and eating

Old 03-31-2016, 06:12 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,105 times
Hey, Love LA and ATL. LA is def more active than the A. In terms of stuff to do and activities. I'm not a club person either --although I do like the clubs better in ATL-- so you'll be fine in coming to LA if thats what you decide to do.

L.A. is huge and it takes about a year to even know what you like to do in the city. Thankfully, once you understand what you like, you'll find your groove.

L.A. is also a huge culture shock to many people, so you have to learn that it's almost like living in a different country. That being said, it's also very welcoming and I love talking to people who are actually from L.A.

You got to be here to know it really.

Now, once you figure out were you'll be working we can narrow down some neighborhoods for you.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:39 PM

13,884 posts, read 13,552,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
clubbin' 'n beachin' is all we do here. sorry bro
Thanks for my laugh for the day.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:42 PM

5,395 posts, read 5,645,485 times
There have been threads on this subforum stating how LA is not party central.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:59 AM

23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
You cannot even serve alcohol past 2am in LA. It is not club central.

The best parties in LA are private parties.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:38 PM

305 posts, read 666,796 times
It's good you mentioned you were artsy because L.A. just so happens to be buzzing with a world class art scene that just so happens to be in the spotlight as of right now and has more museums than any other city in the U.S., even NY. I would say that fits your first request.

Laid back, it can be but it's really just like any other big city when it comes down to survival... otherwise the beach is there on top of other stuff to do around L.A. County and beyond where it can be laid back so yes, that's there.

Nerdy/gamer stuff, there's WonderCon in the Spring, A.X. and E3 in the summer time and then there's Comic-Con in San Diego just 2 hours south, and then Comikaze in the fall along with the other smaller cons that happen year round... so that's there.

And then there's the tech scene here dubbed "Silicon Valley", so you can get some work here as a web dev for sure. I would say just come and visit in the summer and see how you like it, you can find fake flashiness in any big city so expect it here in L.A. as much as real genuine folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or