U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 8 hours ago)

9,105 posts, read 6,768,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Ethnic paranoia runs deep among whites, and a lot of Asians have been around them too long.

Well you like living in a diverse community, right? So did I for most of my adult life. I am white and suspect you are too. So much for sweeping statements about white paranoia.

I see how this works. Asians learned racism from whites by wanting to live in Asian communities. Well they must have learned it fast since so many are first generation immigrants.

Quote:
I, for one, would be skeptical to live in an all-white neighborhood.
Fine, but what you want in your chosen area to live may not suit others. Do you have children to worry about?

Anyway, who lives in an all-white neighborhood anywhere other than rural California (other than ultra-liberal celebrities)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 12:08 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,577,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Well you like living in a diverse community, right? So did I for most of my adult life. I am white and suspect you are too. So much for sweeping statements about white paranoia.

I see how this works. Asians learned racism from whites by wanting to live in Asian communities. Well they must have learned it fast since so many are first generation immigrants.

Fine, but what you want in your chosen area to live may not suit others. Do you have children to worry about?

Anyway, who lives in an all-white neighborhood anywhere other than rural California (other than ultra-liberal celebrities)?
I don't have kids. If I could, I'd find an isolated rural area. Unfortunately, they're not too many in LA County or Southern California.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:17 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
This. Also, where is the criticism of Asians not moving into black neighborhoods.
Asians have been living in black neighborhoods in Los Angeles for decades. Why do you think so many Korean businesses were ransacked in the Rodney King riots? Because the rioters hopped buses to the SGV?

Old 04-02-2016, 01:35 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Asians have been living in black neighborhoods in Los Angeles for decades. Why do you think so many Korean businesses were ransacked in the Rodney King riots? Because the rioters hopped buses to the SGV?
What are they, .001% of the population? How many Koreans have you seen walking the streets of South LA?

Also, working in a neighborhood does not equal living there. By that logic, Brentwood is a heavily Latino neighborhood.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:41 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,577,056 times
Quote:
What are they, .001% of the population? How many Koreans have you seen walking the streets of South LA?

Also, working in a neighborhood does not equal living there. By that logic, Brentwood is a heavily Latino neighborhood.
There's quite a few in some pockets in LA County.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:49 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
There's quite a few in some pockets in LA County.
Quite a few of what?

Old 04-02-2016, 03:35 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
Quote:

Asians had lived in those neighborhoods in large numbers at one time, and stayed on after other non-blacks had left those areas, even if by the time of the riots they were mostly gone.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:58 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The article is spot on in that whites in LA for the most part will not move to black neighborhoods. They're gentrifying Hispanic areas for the most part. But I do see quite a few white people in Inglewood and south LA on the borders.

What this article is missing is the overall national/worldwide trend of whites increasingly moving to the central city and minorities moving to the suburbs. It's not just an LA thing. If they looked at Echo Park, Highland Park, Koreatown, downtown, etc they'd see a different trend. For the most part whites aren't moving to suburbs like Covina and Norwalk. And black and Hispanic people are moving to even farther out suburbs in places like Perris, Moreno Valley, and Antelope Valley. Minorities, especially blacks, are being replced in the inner city by whites.

I politely disagree. White people in LA will pay a premium to live around other white people. Even with gentrification a neighborhood becomes hotter (increased sales/prices) because more and more white people are moving in making it more acceptable for the non-pioneers to follow.
It's a nationwide trend for whites to move to the inner city and for minorities to move to the suburbs. Here in NYC you do indeed see gentrification of Black neighborhoods in Brooklyn in Upper Manhattan. I think the reason why many Black neighborhoods in LA have not gentrified is due to their distance from jobs. Inglewood is at least close to the airport and to certain jobs on the Westside and close to downtown. So that's white it's getting whites. I also think as LA continues to expand it's transit system you'll have gentrification.

However more needs to be said on the displacement and why. Whites had a higher rate of homeownership and more money. Blacks and Hispanics have higher rates of renters. If someone is BLack, Hispanic, or Asian and they own their home and have a good job or own a profitable business clearly they don't have to move and clearly they aren't being displaced. Poor renters on the other hand, have no defense when the rent goes up.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:06 PM

5,804 posts, read 3,087,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Asians had lived in those neighborhoods in large numbers at one time, and stayed on after other non-blacks had left those areas, even if by the time of the riots they were mostly gone.
I agree and the Korean liquor store owner burned out during the King riots lived north of the Black areas. It was the elders old enough to remember WWII and come back from interment camps who lived with Black folk.

Today beyond the upper middle class and a fluent areas what are these Black communities which are not now Latino communities?

Old 04-02-2016, 04:06 PM

24,151 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The article is spot on in that whites in LA for the most part will not move to black neighborhoods. They're gentrifying Hispanic areas for the most part. But I do see quite a few white people in Inglewood and south LA on the borders.

What this article is missing is the overall national/worldwide trend of whites increasingly moving to the central city and minorities moving to the suburbs. It's not just an LA thing. If they looked at Echo Park, Highland Park, Koreatown, downtown, etc they'd see a different trend. For the most part whites aren't moving to suburbs like Covina and Norwalk. And black and Hispanic people are moving to even farther out suburbs in places like Perris, Moreno Valley, and Antelope Valley. Minorities, especially blacks, are being replced in the inner city by whites.

I politely disagree. White people in LA will pay a premium to live around other white people. Even with gentrification a neighborhood becomes hotter (increased sales/prices) because more and more white people are moving in making it more acceptable for the non-pioneers to follow.
So whites aren't likely to move to black areas...yet you see quite a few white people in Inglewood and South L.A?

Also if whites are so eager on gentrifying Hispanic areas..why is East L.A still 97.1% percent hispanic ?

People live where they can afford. For example my area is a majority hispanic , but the whites that you see around here are mostly working class whites.

The focus should be more on income or wealth versus race.

Nobody , no matter what their race is will say "Gee , I'm having a real tough time deciding between living in Watts (high crime) , or Beverly Hills".

All white people aren't rich , and all non whites are not poor.

If you look at the data you'll see that it differs from perception.

For example we are always hearing about how a neighborhood like Echo Park is all white hipsters now , and all the hispanics have been pushed out.
The truth is that it's still a neighborhood with a hispanic majority
" Latinos still form the majority of the community, though the percentage fell from 69.8% in 2000 to 59.5% in 2010; Whites grew from 13.2% in 2000 to 23.2% in 2010; Asian population remained almost unchanged at 13.3% in 2010 compared to 13.2% in 2000;"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_Park,_Los_Angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles