U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 03:09 PM

24,250 posts, read 13,734,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It wasn't, but I can make it relevant. I realized the article and apparently the underlying research don't mention kids at all. Well, very likely the usual reason some neighborhoods quickly become Latino is the number of kids those people tend to have. Meanwhile, many young family-oriented whites probably won't move into neighborhoods where their children would in a sea of brown.
So you think young 'family oriented whites' are avoiding latino neighborhoods in L.A.. because they don't want to be around a bunch of brown people? Or more because they these neighborhoods in L.A tend to be higher crime and possibly worse schools and might not have the amenities that appeal to them.

I'm pretty sure they are looking at crime,amenities,schools , proximity to jobs rather than the color of the people living there.

Lot's of younger family orientated whites can't afford to live in majority white areas especially if they want to buy a home so they are moving to other areas if they want to remain in L.A .

They can't afford a house in a $1million+ neighborhood so they have to shop in a $500k or so neighborhood.
At this point in history a lot of those 'less expensive' homes are going to be in areas that aren't majority white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:53 PM

2,654 posts, read 2,123,595 times
Many of those white people with young families are leaving LA rather than living in mostly non-white areas. I'm saying that concern for their children - harassment, school reputation penalty, etc. - was totally missed by the article.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:32 PM

23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Quote:
Many of those white people with young families are leaving LA rather than living in mostly non-white areas. I'm saying that concern for their children - harassment, school reputation penalty, etc. - was totally missed by the article.
A good number of white people with young families MUST stay in LA due to their careers. Suppose who had a good job in academia in LA? Or worked in the film industry? You can't necessarily just leave without having severe financial penalties to yourself.

Everything is going to be a cost/benefit analysis.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So you think young 'family oriented whites' are avoiding latino neighborhoods in L.A.. because they don't want to be around a bunch of brown people? Or more because they these neighborhoods in L.A tend to be higher crime and possibly worse schools and might not have the amenities that appeal to them.

I'm pretty sure they are looking at crime,amenities,schools , proximity to jobs rather than the color of the people living there.

Lot's of younger family orientated whites can't afford to live in majority white areas especially if they want to buy a home so they are moving to other areas if they want to remain in L.A .

They can't afford a house in a $1million+ neighborhood so they have to shop in a $500k or so neighborhood.
At this point in history a lot of those 'less expensive' homes are going to be in areas that aren't majority white.
This is something of a projection. A lot of gentrified neighborhoods do have young whites who have CHILDREN. This is true in LA and in other cities as well including NYC. If they get established in their careers and buy homes or get a decent deal on a rental they cannot just up and leave and go to the whitest area without severe penalty to themselves in terms of job/career and even in terms of distance to work/overall quality of life.

A lot of what the article referred to as resegregation had to do with displacement. As neighborhoods gentrify they become WHITER. That does not mean that white people are afraid to have kids in urban areas, and this blatantly isn't true of all of them.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:41 PM

4,506 posts, read 2,778,290 times
I'm white and I'm buying a place in Santa Clarita because I can afford it, crime is very low and schools are great. I could also afford someplace much closer to work like Sunland, Sun Valley or Tujunga but they have more crime and horrible schools. I didn't pick one over the other because it's whiter but the fact is that it is..

Old 04-10-2016, 12:18 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,123,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A good number of white people with young families MUST stay in LA due to their careers. Suppose who had a good job in academia in LA? Or worked in the film industry? You can't necessarily just leave without having severe financial penalties to yourself.

Everything is going to be a cost/benefit analysis.

The gist of that surely is true, but I suspect many young people leave the entertainment industry when they start families (due to its typical low pay and instability) and therefore might as well migrate.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:14 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,585,599 times
Quote:
Then why does it seem like a lot of Los Angeles is getting whiter, with all that gentrification occurring in non-white neighborhoods. Many of these newer people in gentrified areas call cops on older residents just because of their skin color. Ethnic paranoia just runs deep among them.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:18 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,585,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is something of a projection. A lot of gentrified neighborhoods do have young whites who have CHILDREN. This is true in LA and in other cities as well including NYC. If they get established in their careers and buy homes or get a decent deal on a rental they cannot just up and leave and go to the whitest area without severe penalty to themselves in terms of job/career and even in terms of distance to work/overall quality of life.

A lot of what the article referred to as resegregation had to do with displacement. As neighborhoods gentrify they become WHITER. That does not mean that white people are afraid to have kids in urban areas, and this blatantly isn't true of all of them.
And a lot of it comes with increased racial and police harassment towards longtime residents.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The gist of that surely is true, but I suspect many young people leave the entertainment industry when they start families (due to its typical low pay and instability) and therefore might as well migrate.
The entertainment industry is a lot bigger than starving actors and behind the scenes jobs tend to be stable. And no the people who get established in their careers don't leave. If anything you had areas like Venice become wealthier and WHITER. And yes with more WHITE families.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'm white and I'm buying a place in Santa Clarita because I can afford it, crime is very low and schools are great. I could also afford someplace much closer to work like Sunland, Sun Valley or Tujunga but they have more crime and horrible schools. I didn't pick one over the other because it's whiter but the fact is that it is..
You are one WHITE person. The general trend is for convenient urban areas to become more expensive and WHITER. Look at Hollywood, Downtown, Silverlake, Venice, etc. Gentrification is causing displacements and yes young white gentrifiers do have children in these neighborhoods as they become established and buy homes in them.

If anything the whites with more money prefer gentrified areas closer to a city's prime location. The poorer ones move further out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles