U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:28 AM

24,177 posts, read 13,695,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Los Angeles Unified School District in Los angeles, CA | GreatSchools

That's not acceptable if you care about your kids. It's also embarrassing for a so-called world class city that tax so much tax money from its residents
And unfortunately a lot of that big pay goes to 'administrators' making over six figures rather than teachers
LAUSD Salaries Database: How much does every employee in the district make?

Yeah I get being superintentent of LAUSD is probably not an easy job...but $440,000 salary??
Former LAUSD superintendent Deasy’s pay nearly $440,000 last year

That's more than Obama's salary I believe...and I would think Obama's job is a lot tougher..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 AM

5,815 posts, read 3,092,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
And unfortunately a lot of that big pay goes to 'administrators' making over six figures rather than teachers

Yeah I get being superintentent of LAUSD is probably not an easy job...but $440,000 salary??

That's more than Obama's salary I believe...and I would think Obama's job is a lot tougher..
Realitively free housing,transportation and security is a big perk.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 AM

24,177 posts, read 13,695,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Realitively free housing,transportation and security is a big perk.
Those top officials in LAUSD likely get a lot of perks too , at the state level University presidents get huge housing and car allowances too even though they usually make over $250,000 a year.

It's kind of interesting, the more you make the more benefits you get.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,965,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

It is more than the president's salary ($400,000) - and the LAUSD superintendent is not the only position in California which has a salary higher than the president.

No public official should be paid more than the US president.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:06 AM

23,259 posts, read 16,070,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It is more than the president's salary ($400,000) - and the LAUSD superintendent is not the only position in California which has a salary higher than the president.

No public official should be paid more than the US president.
The US President gets even more perks, and with those perks for a private citizen to live like that, that person would need to have income of 30 million a year. The President gets free food, free domestic service, free armed guards, free transportation including free airforce flights, paid for travel expenses, etc.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:09 AM

23,259 posts, read 16,070,454 times
Quote:
There are a lot, but not so many with school age children. You'll find more kids in the non-LAUSD areas.

Family flight has been a reality on the westside for some time, and not just for white people, either.
"Second largest in the nation, the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) enrolls more than 640,000 students in kindergarten through 12th grade, at over 900 schools, and 187 public charter schools. The boundaries spread over 720 square miles and include the mega-city of Los Angeles as well as all or parts of 31 smaller municipalities plus several unincorporated sections of Southern California."

LAUSD doesn't seem to be suffering from a shortage of children. I think you're projecting your own biases onto the current situation.

Do you have actual stats that demonstrate family flight from Westside neighborhoods covered by LAUSD? If it's just people you know that alone doesn't count as the people we know in our personal lives don't necessarily reflect demographic trends.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:26 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,965,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
"Second largest in the nation, the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) enrolls more than 640,000 students in kindergarten through 12th grade, at over 900 schools, and 187 public charter schools. The boundaries spread over 720 square miles and include the mega-city of Los Angeles as well as all or parts of 31 smaller municipalities plus several unincorporated sections of Southern California."

LAUSD doesn't seem to be suffering from a shortage of children. I think you're projecting your own biases onto the current situation.

Do you have actual stats that demonstrate family flight from Westside neighborhoods covered by LAUSD? If it's just people you know that alone doesn't count as the people we know in our personal lives don't necessarily reflect demographic trends.
The numbers in LAUSD overall have declined, although it's still way too big to function, and needs to be broken up. No school district should have more than 100,000 kids.

LAUSD's numbers keep on dropping

However, I was talking specifically about the Westside, where age 11-18 is the smallest age demographic.

http://maps.latimes.com/neighborhoods/region/westside/

I live here and I'm from here. I've seen these things play out. You have not. Families who care about their kids generally do not live in LAUSD although there are some exceptions. Families who don't care about their kids, don't care.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:07 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,580,164 times
I never went to any LAUSD school, but I always wondering when did the district start becoming a disgrace.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:35 PM

5,815 posts, read 3,092,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I never went to any LAUSD school, but I always wondering when did the district start becoming a disgrace.
My guess was during the white flight during the 60's and 70's when the new LAUSD Superintendent didn't go to her local high school and the folks with children in the westside school she went to started withdrawing from public schools

Old 04-11-2016, 04:20 PM

1,265 posts, read 632,596 times
Quote:
The numbers in LAUSD overall have declined, although it's still way too big to function, and needs to be broken up. No school district should have more than 100,000 kids.

LAUSD's numbers keep on dropping

However, I was talking specifically about the Westside, where age 11-18 is the smallest age demographic.

Westside - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

I live here and I'm from here. I've seen these things play out. You have not. Families who care about their kids generally do not live in LAUSD although there are some exceptions. Families who don't care about their kids, don't care.
I think if the Valley would have been successful in forming its own city, or at least it's own school district, that the "Valley ISD" and LAUSD would be better off today. As it is right now, I agree, just way too big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles