Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I will tell you who cares, this bloody administration and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). HUD has promulgated a regulation that requires it to evaluate all neighborhoods in the United States. HUD considers areas that are lacking in diversity to have been caused by the communities themselves. Such lack of diversity in neighborhoods HUD considers to be evidence of a need for unspecified "proactive change".

Now as for the very term diversity (or lack thereof), it is a canard. Specifically, I have only seen HUD concerned about communities that are too white. Therefore, while areas like East LA or, say, Arcadia, could be 94% Hispanic or 87% Asian, I doubt we will see HUD action on those areas. Never does HUD express concern about housing discrimination other than when it comes to white areas. Words matter and crazy draconian integration (Utopian to them) policies envisioned by HUB workers in SE DC matter. In sum, we cannot say this doesn't matter when the government has designs on all white neighborhoods in America. Let's start with Westchester County in NY for a look at what HUD has in mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KZJYO2XvpM

If we are going to truly once and for all move to a post racial society, these BS policies must end. I am all for fighting racial discrimination, but not for Orwellian policies.

For those who want to watch a full explanation of HUD's 'Fair Housing' assault on location communities, should watch it
here.
The reason why HUD has jurisdiction is because of the role of federal money in housing. Housing projects were definitely segregated on the basis of race in NYC. HUD has cracked down on NYCHA, so now NYCHA will place poor whites in predominately Black areas or Asians in predominately Black areas, or people in housing regardless to race.

You do have various federally subsidized mortgages, so if neighborhoods are keeping themselves white, the federal government could deny any subsidized mortgages to those areas unless they change housing practices.

The reason the government takes this interest in white communities is until the 60s, Blacks could not get federally subsidized mortgages for white neighborhoods. The government had a role in creating residential segregation, and now they are debating the best ways to undo this.

We'll see how far they really go and what they really do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Neighborhoods keeping themselves white ?

Demographics change over time , but at least nowadays I don't think there are any conspiracies or plans by neighbors or city leaders to " keep areas white " .

Also in LA there was discrimination against Hispanics in neigborhoods like reseda that now have a Hispanic majority .

There is a role for government , but I don't think it's great when they meddle in things like this

Old 04-01-2016, 08:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,306 times
This is wonderful. I'm excited for our more segregated future.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Neighborhoods keeping themselves white ?

Demographics change over time , but at least nowadays I don't think there are any conspiracies or plans by neighbors or city leaders to " keep areas white " .
Palisades, that's it. The only place in the city of L.A. that actually has plans to "stay white". Maybe Brentwood also. Nowhere else in the city of L.A. has had anything like that post '80s.

Note government doesn't enforce anti-discrimination laws there, let alone plan to bring in nonwhites. Though I would love if it would happen.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Maybe, but high crime and lack of amenities (and vice versa) correlates with the dominant race that lives a neighborhood.
Sometimes. It also coincides with being in the city of L.A. vis a vis independent cities, regardless of race and ethnicity.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:48 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
This is wonderful. I'm excited for our more segregated future.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:39 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
The article is spot on in that whites in LA for the most part will not move to black neighborhoods. They're gentrifying Hispanic areas for the most part. But I do see quite a few white people in Inglewood and south LA on the borders.

What this article is missing is the overall national/worldwide trend of whites increasingly moving to the central city and minorities moving to the suburbs. It's not just an LA thing. If they looked at Echo Park, Highland Park, Koreatown, downtown, etc they'd see a different trend. For the most part whites aren't moving to suburbs like Covina and Norwalk. And black and Hispanic people are moving to even farther out suburbs in places like Perris, Moreno Valley, and Antelope Valley. Minorities, especially blacks, are being replced in the inner city by whites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
People move more to neighborhoods based on affordability versus race.
I politely disagree. White people in LA will pay a premium to live around other white people. Even with gentrification a neighborhood becomes hotter (increased sales/prices) because more and more white people are moving in making it more acceptable for the non-pioneers to follow.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:27 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The article is spot on in that whites in LA for the most part will not move to black neighborhoods. They're gentrifying Hispanic areas for the most part. But I do see quite a few white people in Inglewood and south LA on the borders.

What this article is missing is the overall national/worldwide trend of whites increasingly moving to the central city and minorities moving to the suburbs. It's not just an LA thing. If they looked at Echo Park, Highland Park, Koreatown, downtown, etc they'd see a different trend. For the most part whites aren't moving to suburbs like Covina and Norwalk. And black and Hispanic people are moving to even farther out suburbs in places like Perris, Moreno Valley, and Antelope Valley. Minorities, especially blacks, are being replced in the inner city by whites.

I politely disagree. White people in LA will pay a premium to live around other white people. Even with gentrification a neighborhood becomes hotter (increased sales/prices) because more and more white people are moving in making it more acceptable for the non-pioneers to follow.
If the above statement is true, are you sure you can attribute the alleged refusal of whites to move into black areas on "racism"? Might there be other concerns, like, for example, safety?

Old 04-02-2016, 11:43 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
If the above statement is true, are you sure you can attribute the alleged refusal of whites to move into black areas on "racism"? Might there be other concerns, like, for example, safety?
This. Also, where is the criticism of Asians not moving into black neighborhoods.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:50 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
This. Also, where is the criticism of Asians not moving into black neighborhoods.
Ethnic paranoia runs deep among whites, and a lot of Asians have been around them too long.

I, for one, would be skeptical to live in an all-white neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles