U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 06:10 AM

4,736 posts, read 5,936,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
A lot of the young Armenian guys have shaved head and covered in black and grey tattoos. They generally dress in black pants or shorts and black wife beater shirts. My old neighbors son was one and their apartment was full of those guys smoking weed all day. The one thing I'll say is that like the article says they operate more like the Italian mob where the average person doesn't see crime in the neighborhoods. No drive by or public stuff. The street racing and loitering in parking lots smoking is the worst of it. I did see a brawl with about 30 guys in the parking lot at Wildwood Canyon a couple of months ago but that's rare
I'm not saying that you fall into this trap, but it seems that many Americans romanticize the Mafia and other organized groups of criminals.

True, they themselves don't tend to commit street level crime; and they live in safe neighborhoods. Still, they are not just weed-smoking, beer-guzzling, drag-racing, tough-talkers who cause no real problems, either.

They are top thugs/scum, who control drugs, prostitution, labor racketeering, etc. That's why they are involved in organized crime, to make lot's of money in a very illegal manner.

The street level thug in Santa Ana who does a drive-by to control his drug turf is a bottom feeder. Organized thug rings, mobs, control the flow and distribution of drugs in the US.

Of course, it's not just the Armenian, Mexican and Italian mobster thugs who are involved. Thugs from plenty of other ethnic groups band together to control illegal activities.

Here's a very dated article from the NY Times that underscores the role of Chinese crooks in NYC. I don't know how much of this applies today.
Chinese Crime Groups Rising To Prominence in New York - NYTimes.com
Chinese organized crime's involvement in extortion, prostitution, loan sharking, gun smuggling and murder is sharply on the rise in the New York area, law-enforcement officials say.

As the Mafia declines and Chinese criminal activity spreads beyond Chinatown in Manhattan, some law-enforcement officials say they fear that Chinese organized crime could eventually achieve as much wealth and influence as Italian organized crime has had over the last half century.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 10:49 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I'm not saying that you fall into this trap, but it seems that many Americans romanticize the Mafia and other organized groups of criminals.

True, they themselves don't tend to commit street level crime; and they live in safe neighborhoods. Still, they are not just weed-smoking, beer-guzzling, drag-racing, tough-talkers who cause no real problems, either.

They are top thugs/scum, who control drugs, prostitution, labor racketeering, etc. That's why they are involved in organized crime, to make lot's of money in a very illegal manner.

The street level thug in Santa Ana who does a drive-by to control his drug turf is a bottom feeder. Organized thug rings, mobs, control the flow and distribution of drugs in the US.

Of course, it's not just the Armenian, Mexican and Italian mobster thugs who are involved. Thugs from plenty of other ethnic groups band together to control illegal activities.

Here's a very dated article from the NY Times that underscores the role of Chinese crooks in NYC. I don't know how much of this applies today.
Chinese Crime Groups Rising To Prominence in New York - NYTimes.com
Chinese organized crime's involvement in extortion, prostitution, loan sharking, gun smuggling and murder is sharply on the rise in the New York area, law-enforcement officials say.

As the Mafia declines and Chinese criminal activity spreads beyond Chinatown in Manhattan, some law-enforcement officials say they fear that Chinese organized crime could eventually achieve as much wealth and influence as Italian organized crime has had over the last half century.

I'm not romanticizing it. I've lived in Glendale for 6 years and I'm just saying I never see criminal activity and crime stats back it up, at least for violent crime. I believe we've had 2 murders since 2010 which is pretty low considering the city sits in the middle of Los Angeles.

But I know most of these guys are scum. I deal with them every day. There were a bunch of young neighborhood guys that hung out in front of the house we used to rent blasting the stereo in their BMWs and smoking for hours. One day these guys were blasting very profane gangster rap and my pregnant wife went out and told them to turn it off and it was disrespectful since their are children outside playing. The car owner's answer was "these kids don't know what F@$*K means". She told him he was an idiot and then he told my 7 month pregnant wife "shut up B!#$ch". I went out and hurled can of soda at his car and was ready to fight three of these punks but luckily one of them must have been on parole and got them to leave because he was afraid someone was going to call the cops. So I know they are low life scum and thugs and unfortunately it seems like the majority of Armenian males under 60 years old fall into this category.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:25 AM

24,145 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Quote:
99.9 % of them in Glendale are Armenian. I looked at his resume online. University of Phoenix grad, manager or air conditioning supply store. So how does he afford modded out $70k Mercedes? I know he lives with his parents and leased the car but still
Lot's of people Armenian and non Armenian living at home, but put insane amounts of money into cars in L.A
I guess a lot of them feel like they can't afford their own place..so might as well spend as much on a car!

Many gangs like Armenian Power operating in Glendale and other surrounding areas

North Hollywood brothers, Armenian Power gang members, arrested in guns-drugs raid

Of course they don't have a monopoly on gang and illegal activity in L.A

Old 04-04-2016, 11:26 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
The only reason you don't have this on the Westside is because there's so much traffic clogging the streets there'd be no room for street racing.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The only reason you don't have this on the Westside is because there's so much traffic clogging the streets there'd be no room for street racing.
Yeah true.
Traffic in Glendale and nearby parts of the valley is considerably lower.
and usually MUCH lower.

These days westside traffic is pretty much nonstop from morning till night..

Old 04-04-2016, 12:06 PM

807 posts, read 657,159 times
Unfortunately, a lot of the Valley and cities like Burbank and Glendale have long, straight boulevards which are not always congested that are ripe for street racing (Glenoaks Blvd., San Fernando Rd., etc.).

Obviously, given the demographics of areas such as Glendale/Burbank/La Crescenta, the probability of a street racing incident involving an Armenian is decently high.

That being said, when I drive through Glendale, you've got a bunch of young, testosterone filled Armo males driving recklessly in the city. It's no wonder the city has one of the highest rates of pedestrian fatalities and the highest auto insurance rates in the state (a mix of accidents/insurance fraud).

A lot of people like luxury vehicles, but I find that Armenians (and Middle Easterners in general) really like luxury vehicles (regardless of the fact that they live in some two-bit piece of garbage apartment that's packed with family to the brim) and like to drive them fast with absolute disregard for those around them. Go to Encino/Tarzana and you'll find young Persian males doing the same thing although those are wealthier areas where folks can actually afford the vehicle.

In general, regardless of ethnicity/race, individuals who own more high performance vehicles are going to drive them fast and dangerously as I've seen regardless of where I am. I've just seen the issue a bit more pronounced in Glendale and adjacent areas of the Valley.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:46 PM

1,078 posts, read 893,983 times
Quote:
I'm not romanticizing it. I've lived in Glendale for 6 years and I'm just saying I never see criminal activity and crime stats back it up, at least for violent crime. I believe we've had 2 murders since 2010 which is pretty low considering the city sits in the middle of Los Angeles.

But I know most of these guys are scum. I deal with them every day. There were a bunch of young neighborhood guys that hung out in front of the house we used to rent blasting the stereo in their BMWs and smoking for hours. One day these guys were blasting very profane gangster rap and my pregnant wife went out and told them to turn it off and it was disrespectful since their are children outside playing. The car owner's answer was "these kids don't know what F@$*K means". She told him he was an idiot and then he told my 7 month pregnant wife "shut up B!#$ch". I went out and hurled can of soda at his car and was ready to fight three of these punks but luckily one of them must have been on parole and got them to leave because he was afraid someone was going to call the cops. So I know they are low life scum and thugs and unfortunately it seems like the majority of Armenian males under 60 years old fall into this category.
Did you wake up drooling or did you think this up while typing?

Old 04-04-2016, 01:51 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of the Valley and cities like Burbank and Glendale have long, straight boulevards which are not always congested that are ripe for street racing (Glenoaks Blvd., San Fernando Rd., etc.).

Obviously, given the demographics of areas such as Glendale/Burbank/La Crescenta, the probability of a street racing incident involving an Armenian is decently high.

That being said, when I drive through Glendale, you've got a bunch of young, testosterone filled Armo males driving recklessly in the city. It's no wonder the city has one of the highest rates of pedestrian fatalities and the highest auto insurance rates in the state (a mix of accidents/insurance fraud).

A lot of people like luxury vehicles, but I find that Armenians (and Middle Easterners in general) really like luxury vehicles (regardless of the fact that they live in some two-bit piece of garbage apartment that's packed with family to the brim) and like to drive them fast with absolute disregard for those around them. Go to Encino/Tarzana and you'll find young Persian males doing the same thing although those are wealthier areas where folks can actually afford the vehicle.

In general, regardless of ethnicity/race, individuals who own more high performance vehicles are going to drive them fast and dangerously as I've seen regardless of where I am. I've just seen the issue a bit more pronounced in Glendale and adjacent areas of the Valley.
I can point you to a few apartment buildings in Glendale with Lamborghini, Ferrari and Aston Martins parked outside on the street because not only can't they afford a house, they can't get an garage spot in their apartments

Old 04-04-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I can point you to a few apartment buildings in Glendale with Lamborghini, Ferrari and Aston Martins parked outside on the street because not only can't they afford a house, they can't get an garage spot in their apartments
Wow, that would be funny to see. I remember one time my car needed to be towed and the tow truck guy was saying how he had some new Lexus SUV , probably a $50,000 ...he's either spends a huge amount of his salary on a car...or I should be a tow truck driver.
Wouldn't be surprised if the full story is that he can "afford" the car , by living rent free with family.

So crazy how there are so many people with their priorities mixed up.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:29 PM

8,829 posts, read 8,959,075 times
There is something seriously wrong with somebody who races a car like that. This is more of a mental health issue than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or