U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 07:48 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmcdevitt View Post
I know the coupling seems random, but I'll be moving to one of these cities in the next few months for grad school. I know for example that New Orleans is cheaper, and that Long Beach has better weather, but I have no first hand experience. Has anyone been to both cities, and can share your opinions/observations?

(I'm thinking about money, transportation, jobs, convenience, diversity, and overall enjoyment of life. Basically anything important.)
OP, what are you trying to do? Both are great places for completely separate reasons. Yes, New Orleans is cheaper. Yes, the weather is better in Long Beach.

Money: New Orleans is cheaper of course

Transportation: your going to want a car in both cities although the PT in L.A. is better.

Jobs: L.A.

Convenience: Imma lean towards New Orleans but that is entirely dependent on where you decide to live.

Diversity: Long Beach no question.

Overall enjoyment of Life: As long as your not a sad sap you can enjoy anyplace. If your a negative person you will have negativity follow you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 07:54 PM

10 posts, read 4,507 times
I don't mind the free internet advice, as I've never actually been to either city. So any advice is worthwhile to me.

The schools are CSULB, and UNO (not to be confused with LUNO). I'm getting an MA in English and then will want to pursue a doctorate OR go straight into teaching. In terms of academic opportunity... California looks better, due to the sheer number of schools I could move into. But UNO is talking about giving me free tuition, which makes it more practical FOR NOW.

Serious question: do people in New Orleans really have strong Cajun accents? My wife is not a native English speaker, and I'm worried she'll have trouble communicating if people don't speak "standard" English.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I don't mind the free internet advice, as I've never actually been to either city. So any advice is worthwhile to me.

The schools are CSULB, and UNO (not to be confused with LUNO). I'm getting an MA in English and then will want to pursue a doctorate OR go straight into teaching. In terms of academic opportunity... California looks better, due to the sheer number of schools I could move into. But UNO is talking about giving me free tuition, which makes it more practical FOR NOW.

Serious question: do people in New Orleans really have strong Cajun accents? My wife is not a native English speaker, and I'm worried she'll have trouble communicating if people don't speak "standard" English.

No...well, i guess some do, but I doubt you'll have any real trouble.

Free Tuition heh? Never mind go to New Orleans.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:09 PM

2,432 posts, read 1,328,363 times
Quote:

Which school will give you the best chance at pursuing a doctorate at a good school? I think that would be on my mind. That is a tough road to go down if you plan to get a doctorate and teach at the university level. Very, very competitive and hard to get a good job once you are done. If that is your passion, by all means go for it...

You should really visit both schools/places before making a decision....are you planning to?

N'awlins is an awesome city with great history and architecture. Of course, the LA/Long Beach are is huge and offers so much it is tough to beat (except for cost of living).

The language/linguistic differences are not an issue.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:24 PM

That's a relief about language! Thanks. Unfortunately I can't visit either school, as I'll be overseas until just before the semester starts. (I've been teaching abroad while I decided what to do with my future).

Old 04-02-2016, 08:26 PM

In terms of academics, both schools have good English programs. Long Beach is ranked a little higher overall, though. I'd like to compare the quality of the specific programs, but that's a pretty tricky business.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:09 AM

7,623 posts, read 8,969,217 times
Quote:

Seriously, you need to go to UNO. You are choosing a career path that is not high paying. Do not strangle yourself with loans for tuition and living expenses from a high COL area.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:18 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,689,085 times
Long Beach will offer you more in the way of diversity.

New Orleans is good too but a lot of the people there are very trashy (tourists and locals both)

Old 04-04-2016, 04:21 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,264,886 times
Not trashy. Real and funky, vs plastic and phony.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Not trashy. Real and funky, vs plastic and phony.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles