U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:20 PM

842 posts, read 1,107,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmcdevitt View Post
I don't mind the free internet advice, as I've never actually been to either city. So any advice is worthwhile to me.

The schools are CSULB, and UNO (not to be confused with LUNO). I'm getting an MA in English and then will want to pursue a doctorate OR go straight into teaching. In terms of academic opportunity... California looks better, due to the sheer number of schools I could move into. But UNO is talking about giving me free tuition, which makes it more practical FOR NOW.

Serious question: do people in New Orleans really have strong Cajun accents? My wife is not a native English speaker, and I'm worried she'll have trouble communicating if people don't speak "standard" English.
People in New Orleans tend to have accents, but not the strong, stereotypical Cajun accents that you see on television. My mother is a Louisiana native and I have family in New Orleans, so I am familiar with the place.

As far as the schools are concerned, my brother went to CSULB and I have a first cousin that went to UNO. Both schools are decent, but for your situation I would lean more towards CSULB. You can still get a quality education at UNO, but the state is dealing with a lot of financial issues that are affecting the state universities (UNO being one of them). They also tried to force UNO to merge with another local school (SUNO), but that didn't happen. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't try that again. With that being the case, I would hate to be at UNO during a transition or pre-transition period.

There are several educators in my family back in the L.A. area. Teacher pay is bad no matter where you go. However, aside from better pay you also have more options in Southern California. In South Louisiana, the school systems are typically parish-driven as opposed to city-driven (counties are "parishes" in Louisiana in case you didn't already know). That means that once you leave New Orleans, your options mainly consist of parish-wide school systems that may come with their own set of issues. If you are seeking to pursue a doctorate, you also have more options in Southern California as well even if you do not end up teaching on the university level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 04:36 PM

270 posts, read 202,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Not trashy. Real and funky, vs plastic and phony.
I haven't been to New Orleans, but from my experience, many people in Long Beach are a combination of funky, trashy, and phony. No, not all of them, but many. Some are indeed plastic and phony, but many if not most young adults in Long Beach are aiming (albeit in many cases superficially) for a more "alternative" vibe than the word "plastic" would imply. Much of LB is culturally like a combination of Orange County punk/youth subculture and gritty LA culture. Some areas are much nicer than that, though.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:17 PM

6,263 posts, read 10,343,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Not trashy. Real and funky, vs plastic and phony.
Actually Long Beach is far more low-key and real down most any part of LA metro, after all it is a college town. Besides, we have our share of ghetto/trashy!

Lifestyle wise LBC is also quite diverse, bunch of different races, nationalities, sexual orientations, etc.

OP needs to figure out his priorities and decide which one would be a better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles