U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,486 times

Advertisements

Venice's community character is very different from that of Los Angeles, it is unique. In order for them to preserve their community character should they become independent?

Can Venice be self-sustaining?Would you support an independent Venice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 02:59 PM

3,418 posts, read 1,985,282 times
How, exactly, would seceding from Los Angeles serve to protect Venice's "character"? In my opinion, most of it's former character is already gone. Then again, it used to be in Northern Venice that the Oakwood Boys would kill you for a quarter, so maybe that's not so bad after all.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:10 PM

17,449 posts, read 23,040,856 times
There has been talk of Venice secession movements through the years, including not that long ago. At this point, however, I don't think it's going to happen. OTOH, I do think secession from LAUSD would be a great idea, and it might be more feasible. Especially when the LAUSD bankruptcy occurs...

Old 04-03-2016, 04:58 PM

7,092 posts, read 18,480,647 times
Venice is not very big and starting a city from scratch considering the social needs of that particular community will be daunting to say the least. I just can't imagine this ever working out. If the whole valley couldn't seceed, I can't picture Venice doing it.

As for character, secession won't change that. Santa Monica is an independent city and has lost almost of its old charm. But that is the side effect of progress. I'd still live in SM though, the location can't be beat.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:05 PM

24,337 posts, read 13,826,692 times
I can see why some residents and homeowners would want it to be a separate city . But I agree it's not really big enough . I mean there are businesses in Venice but nowhere near the same level of Santa Monica , Burbank , Glendale , Pasadena , or other cities within LA county

I don't really feel efforts to preserve a neighborhood ever really work . As others mentioned a lot of the old charm of Venice and Santa Monica has been lost .
The same could be said for many neigborhoods in LA .

Why not just let every neighborhood be their own city ?

I don't agree that the character of Venice is unique from Los Angeles . It IS a part of Los Angeles .

Old 04-03-2016, 05:27 PM

17,449 posts, read 23,040,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I can see why some residents and homeowners would want it to be a separate city . But I agree it's not really big enough . I mean there are businesses in Venice but nowhere near the same level of Santa Monica , Burbank , Glendale , Pasadena , or other cities within LA county

I don't really feel efforts to preserve a neighborhood ever really work . As others mentioned a lot of the old charm of Venice and Santa Monica has been lost .
The same could be said for many neigborhoods in LA .

Why not just let every neighborhood be their own city ?

I don't agree that the character of Venice is unique from Los Angeles . It IS a part of Los Angeles .
At one time, it would have been feasible. Now, things have just changed too much.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:48 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,178,678 times
lol

Old 04-04-2016, 03:45 AM

1,010 posts, read 826,745 times
Maybe if Venice and Mar Vista seceded together, as one new city, that might be financially feasible. A bigger tax base with all those homeowners.

I think Mar Vista might like the idea. A few years ago, The Argonaut reported that people in Mar Vista were sick of their poor roads. L.A. does a bad job of maintaining the roads. These Mar Vista folks were considering forming a new tax assessment district, to tax themselves, the money to go to road repair.

Venice and Mar Vista could secede together for a new City of Venice. Then Mar Vista would be a neighborhood of this new Venice.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:41 AM

24,337 posts, read 13,826,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Maybe if Venice and Mar Vista seceded together, as one new city, that might be financially feasible. A bigger tax base with all those homeowners.

I think Mar Vista might like the idea. A few years ago, The Argonaut reported that people in Mar Vista were sick of their poor roads. L.A. does a bad job of maintaining the roads. These Mar Vista folks were considering forming a new tax assessment district, to tax themselves, the money to go to road repair.

Venice and Mar Vista could secede together for a new City of Venice. Then Mar Vista would be a neighborhood of this new Venice.
Mar Vista?...you mean that lima bean field?
Neighborhood spotlight: Mar Vista - LA Times

I thought the part of that story that was funny was

Buyers outlook: "The market is good right now. It's still affordable; you can still buy for under $1 million."

affordable and "under $1million" in the same sentence ..I guess it's all relative versus looking at $2million shacks in Santa Monica...

Old 04-04-2016, 03:05 PM

23,307 posts, read 16,185,241 times
Venice and MarVista together still don't have enough businesses. In short their tax base is not big enough and they are better off a part of Los Angeles. They won't even serious attempt to succeed.

Also being a separate city from LA guarantees nothing. Look at some cities like Inglewood and Compton. These places are terrible (though Inglewood is finally getting large scale investment).

These days places that are a part of LA often get huge investment. Hollywood, Downtown, etc.

Venice has gentrified considerable in recent years, so it is doing very well as a part of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or