U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:29 PM

25,874 posts, read 49,787,562 times

Advertisements

I do think this is certainly part of it... at least here where I am in the SF East Bay.

We actually know some by name... some are just making do the best they can... scavenge aluminum cans and such...

Others seem very intelligent but for whatever reason can hold it all together... almost none are women...

One became very aggressive and had a habit of dropping his pants and taking a dump in full view at our main entrance during business hours... I would ask him why and he said it was time to go and get checked in for 3 hots and a cot... said he would be back in 3 days and he was for months.

We do have a double standard... there was a case of a prominent physician that pulled off the road to urinate along highway 1... the police saw the car on the side of the road with his family... they stopped and found him behind a tree relieving himself... he was cited for indecent exposure at night and public urination... it cost him thousands of dollars to defend himself plus a fine and community service... the homeless guy can be butt naked taking dump in broad daylight at the hospital main entrance and it's different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 07:49 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,169,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Liberal Jerry Brown has been letting all of these felons out because he has his spending priorities bass-ackwards. Things like bloated government employee pensions and building a 200 billion dollar boon-doggle rail line is more important than building another prison.
The average state and local pension is not bloated, so don't lump all pensions together.

There was an abuse where public safety employees who manipulated overtime pay were able to significantly bump up their final compensation, but that has been stopped, to the best of my knowledge.

Many public employees are paid significantly lower in government than they would on the outside, but they do so with the promise of a pension.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:11 AM

23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Not good there is a double standard.

I know it's similar with welfare benefits and section 8 , if you have kids you qualify for a lot more than if you are just someone that is struggling.

Likely the reason that a lot of the people we see on the streets are single men.
The problem is men if they go crazy are more of a physical threat then women or single children. So this stupid double standard actually puts people in jeopardy, whether it's for shelters or other government programs/benefits.

Single men were not able to get med-cal until Obamacare, so if they had mental illness they couldn't even get outpatient care.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:10 AM

24,250 posts, read 13,725,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The problem is men if they go crazy are more of a physical threat then women or single children. So this stupid double standard actually puts people in jeopardy, whether it's for shelters or other government programs/benefits.

Single men were not able to get med-cal until Obamacare, so if they had mental illness they couldn't even get outpatient care.
Yeah definitely. I really hope things get better and this issue is treated with the severity it deserves.

I was in the area last night where that Whole Foods is. Tons of development right there. It's kind of a shame to one one hand see all this new development and positive changes for downtown..but on the other hand having incidents like this.
Hard to know what the impact will be , obviously Whole Foods isn't going to close down...but it's this type of thing that impedes progress. There will be some that hear about stuff like this and think , Downtown is still scary...and they would be justified in saying so.
One event like this can result in tons of economic loss.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:48 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,091,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I do think this is certainly part of it... at least here where I am in the SF East Bay.

We actually know some by name... some are just making do the best they can... scavenge aluminum cans and such...

Others seem very intelligent but for whatever reason can hold it all together... almost none are women...

One became very aggressive and had a habit of dropping his pants and taking a dump in full view at our main entrance during business hours... I would ask him why and he said it was time to go and get checked in for 3 hots and a cot... said he would be back in 3 days and he was for months.

We do have a double standard... there was a case of a prominent physician that pulled off the road to urinate along highway 1... the police saw the car on the side of the road with his family... they stopped and found him behind a tree relieving himself... he was cited for indecent exposure at night and public urination... it cost him thousands of dollars to defend himself plus a fine and community service... the homeless guy can be butt naked taking dump in broad daylight at the hospital main entrance and it's different.
Here at a SD beach I've witnessed SDPD literally step over a transient passed out with bottles of booze to give a guy a ticket that was drinking a beer because one of his hands touched the wall. This was when we could actually have a beer on the beach.

The homeless used to be all concentrated in one spot, now with the booze ban there is about one per block for the City. Except for downtown. The people that feed them have decided that is the place to concentrate services. Right next to booze outlets

Old 04-06-2016, 01:15 PM

111 posts, read 120,818 times
Smh that's sad.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:47 AM

24,250 posts, read 13,725,676 times
Bad news , this guy that was beaten by the homeless guy has passed away

Senior brutally beaten in downtown Los Angeles attack dies | abc7.com

Now will the city start taking this serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles