U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 06:09 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize that other cities' subways have similar smelly issues. Thanks for enlightening me! Maybe it's just what you're used to. Public transportation obviously takes me out of my comfort zone. (I guess this means that when I'm old and can no longer drive I'll never go anywhere! Or I'll get over my phobia by necessity. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,290,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I realize that the traffic in L.A. is only going to get worse, and that public transportation is supposed to magically save us.

However, I will never ride the Red Line subway ever again. Why? Because it smelled so bad, like old urine and sweat. On our way to Pershing Square from North Hollywood to go to a restaurant close by, there was a guy spread across two seats who looked like he was sleeping except for his death grip on a plastic-encased pastry he had bought.

I have no idea what the subways are like in other cities, but this is a disgrace. I can live with graffiti etched into the backs of the seats in front of me, but that smell almost made me sick. Can't the city do better than this?
You need to get out more

Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 AM

24,169 posts, read 13,685,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The poor Westsiders who are taking the bus (you have low income housing here and there on the Westside) will take the trains. You are right that those with their nice cars are absolutely not about to take the train. If you're not used to riding mass transit getting on a train with a homeless lunatic raving is scary.

Also a lot of people may work in the Westside and maybe commuting in from other places, but they aren't making much money. So they'll take the train. The Westside lines will get good use. Obviously not by the well off.
Yeah that's most likely what will happen. We will see if it lessens traffic..I doubt it though.
There will probably be some well off that take the train as a symbolic thing or just to say they did it. But likely won't use it on a regular basis.

Anyone paying market rent or owns a home on the Westside can afford a car. Traffic is terrible, but it will probably have to get a lot worse and the city will have to become more dense before more well off residents decide to take the subway.
Also the subway is going to go more places, but it's not like it's going to go everywhere. Many will still have to walk to where they need to go or take a bus.

Hopefully this does benefit lower income people though and give them a less costly and quicker way to get to their work. I used to work in Brentwood, and I would always see ladies walking up to the homes North or Sunset where they would work. Sometimes the employer would pick them up.

There are a lot of people working on the Westside like gardeners/landscapers ,etc that need their own trucks obviously that aren't going to benefit. When I was working in Brentwood it seemed like every other vehicle on Sunset blvd was a pickup truck with gardening tools.
Pretty much every home in that entire area Brentwood, Santa Monica, Palisades is going to have someone doing their landscaping. Then you have all the other vendors like handymen, etc. These people aren't necessarily low income..but I'm just saying they aren't really going to benefit from the subway anyways because they need tools.
The biggest benefactor will probably housekeepers working in homes and low income people working in restaurants and stores. But a lot of them probably are already using the public transit as it is..and if they already do have a car ...will they switch over to public transit?
Hard to say.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:29 AM

234 posts, read 134,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that's most likely what will happen. We will see if it lessens traffic..I doubt it though.
There will probably be some well off that take the train as a symbolic thing or just to say they did it. But likely won't use it on a regular basis.

Anyone paying market rent or owns a home on the Westside can afford a car. Traffic is terrible, but it will probably have to get a lot worse and the city will have to become more dense before more well off residents decide to take the subway.
Also the subway is going to go more places, but it's not like it's going to go everywhere. Many will still have to walk to where they need to go or take a bus.

Hopefully this does benefit lower income people though and give them a less costly and quicker way to get to their work. I used to work in Brentwood, and I would always see ladies walking up to the homes North or Sunset where they would work. Sometimes the employer would pick them up.

There are a lot of people working on the Westside like gardeners/landscapers ,etc that need their own trucks obviously that aren't going to benefit. When I was working in Brentwood it seemed like every other vehicle on Sunset blvd was a pickup truck with gardening tools.
Pretty much every home in that entire area Brentwood, Santa Monica, Palisades is going to have someone doing their landscaping. Then you have all the other vendors like handymen, etc. These people aren't necessarily low income..but I'm just saying they aren't really going to benefit from the subway anyways because they need tools.
The biggest benefactor will probably housekeepers working in homes and low income people working in restaurants and stores. But a lot of them probably are already using the public transit as it is..and if they already do have a car ...will they switch over to public transit?
Hard to say.
I think where public transit might get the most traction on the west side (to get people to stop driving and start taking transit) will be among students. When the purple line eventually gets to UCLA that will be a game changer.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:45 AM

23,253 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Hard to say.
I'm thinking service sector people will use it a lot. The ones who work in restaurants, bars, retail, and hotels on the Westside (obviously the lower paid ones in those sectors, as some people in those sectors do pretty well). Also lower level office workers.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:41 PM

8,834 posts, read 8,966,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
You need to get out more
Her posts over the years have indicated SandyCo has been out and about enough to be very familiar with day to day life in this city. And her consternations expressed in this thread are perfectly valid to any sensible person.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:09 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Public transportation is a failed pipe dream of politicians. We will always use our cars.
Cars are getting awfully expensive, parking is becoming near-nonexistent, and driving has become the most dangerous activity in Los Angeles that one can engage in which does not involve hard drugs. Next time gas goes up....

Old 04-07-2016, 08:23 AM

15 posts, read 7,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Cars are getting awfully expensive, parking is becoming near-nonexistent, and driving has become the most dangerous activity in Los Angeles that one can engage in which does not involve hard drugs. Next time gas goes up....
exactly

Old 04-08-2016, 09:06 AM

24,169 posts, read 13,685,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I believe at some point gas will go back up. I know a lot of people are saying oil will be cheap forever or for many many years..but I've heard the same thing before and it turned out not to be true.
Remember when the experts said housing was going to be bad for several more years and then prices doubled pretty quickly?
Now oil is at $40 barrel ..

In Feb the 'experts' at Goldman Sachs were saying they see oil at below $20/barrel

Goldman Sees Risk of Oil Below $20 - Bloomberg

I guess it COULD still happen..but we will see..

Trading leveraged oil ETFs supposedly is the new get rich quick scheme for some "millennials "
There

Old 04-08-2016, 05:05 PM

222 posts, read 116,077 times
I've been on vacation in Seattle for the past week and the buses smell pretty bad here too, it's probably like that on public transportation everywhere. They have a great bus system that's heavily used by all types of people by the way especially downtown where parking is a real pain. I don't know much about L.A.'s bus system (only drive and never use it) except that when I was a kid visiting LACMA a tourist came in crying because a man had just spit at her in the face, hopefully that doesn't happen often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or