U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2016, 01:31 AM
 
670 posts, read 910,370 times
Reputation: 522

Advertisements

There used to be a true effort to prevent what is not the disgusting state of Metro subway riders and stations, but times have changed and metally ill are allowed to expose themselves in stations, sleep in drug induced sleeplike states sprawled across seats and on and on. Some of the LRT lines are not nearly as bad and even pristine and civialzed by comparison, but subwar, Blue, and Green are pretty vile these days. The LA rail transit was very safe and hardly ever a person like your described no ever in fear of personal safety. Then the cops just weren't around any more, and that is when the humand cockroaches decended and have their party today. I take Metro rail regularly and I know what I'm talking about, I've been doing so since DAY 1.

It really would not take all that much to clean things up on problem lines: staff it with Sherrif (currently under contract with MTA for police services) deputies--not the phony white shirt security people for whome the crooks and mentals have no respect--and start writing citiatioln for public indecency, food and beverages on platforms and trains, violations of civil behavior, and the word gets around that there are "too many cops" on Metro rail lines. Then we could bring out the mops and cleansers. There used to be several cleaning people ALL day on Metro rail constantly cleaning, but they are not as numerous.

The attitude from the MTA board regarding passenger personal safety and comfort is insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2016, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times
Reputation: 7951
Thank you! I wish the MTA would clean things up on the subways. If only this could happen in my lifetime, that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
There used to be a true effort to prevent what is not the disgusting state of Metro subway riders and stations, but times have changed and metally ill are allowed to expose themselves in stations, sleep in drug induced sleeplike states sprawled across seats and on and on. Some of the LRT lines are not nearly as bad and even pristine and civialzed by comparison, but subwar, Blue, and Green are pretty vile these days. The LA rail transit was very safe and hardly ever a person like your described no ever in fear of personal safety. Then the cops just weren't around any more, and that is when the humand cockroaches decended and have their party today. I take Metro rail regularly and I know what I'm talking about, I've been doing so since DAY 1.

It really would not take all that much to clean things up on problem lines: staff it with Sherrif (currently under contract with MTA for police services) deputies--not the phony white shirt security people for whome the crooks and mentals have no respect--and start writing citiatioln for public indecency, food and beverages on platforms and trains, violations of civil behavior, and the word gets around that there are "too many cops" on Metro rail lines. Then we could bring out the mops and cleansers. There used to be several cleaning people ALL day on Metro rail constantly cleaning, but they are not as numerous.

The attitude from the MTA board regarding passenger personal safety and comfort is insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 02:28 PM
 
Location: OC, CA
9,862 posts, read 13,194,178 times
Reputation: 8730
I wish they would do what Denver did so smartly, hire professional security guards with guns and make their presence very visible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
2,056 posts, read 1,837,859 times
Reputation: 3530
I've never seen an especially fresh smelling mass transit method. I don't even like airplanes, and people don't usually pi55 themselves on the plane.

It's disgusting but it's because we share the same world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,172 posts, read 13,685,578 times
Reputation: 11373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I wish they would do what Denver did so smartly, hire professional security guards with guns and make their presence very visible.
One problem with that idea...it's way too common sense for L.A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Hyde Park, Los Angeles
1,544 posts, read 602,662 times
Reputation: 1321
I share a lot of the sentiments of some of these users.

I've gotten to a point where I absolutely refuse to catch the Red Line anywhere, unless I have to go to the San Fernando Valley or if I have classes at LA City College and need to get to school on time.

I made the mistake of catching it at Westlake/MacArthur Park...let's just say that you know when a person smells bad when you use a location to describe the intensity of the stench.

I was on my way to Union Station...there were a couple of bums on the train who smelled like Union Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 07:12 PM
 
508 posts, read 362,761 times
Reputation: 470
I take the Red Line regularly and don't understand why there isn't more security. They put the gates in a few years back but when I'm in the station I see large percentage of people jumping the gates. I would say about 30 % of people don't pay. Then I see people clearly high on drugs yelling and screaming in the stations. Then there is the people living on the trains with all their bags and belonging strewn across many seats. When I do see cops they are all together and talking about football or whatever. It's disgusting!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 07:15 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA
1,367 posts, read 1,628,848 times
Reputation: 1784
dont worry OP, when Trump becomes president, hes gonna send all of the poor people to a remote island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,172 posts, read 13,685,578 times
Reputation: 11373
The redline cost over $4.7 billion in the 90s which is even more now. It's a shame spending that much on something and not having adequate security. I know police are expensive...but I mean I think it would be a worthwhile investment. Or at least private security guards, which would cost less. There needs to be some sense of order or following of rules. When did throwing your belongings over the whole train car , whether homeless or not become acceptable?...When did yelling and screaming in public become tolerated?...
Enough is enough!

"Major transportation projects in Los Angeles, both highway and rail, have tended to go over budget. In the 1990s, the $4.7-billion Metro Red Line subway from Union Station to North Hollywood was plagued with cost overruns and delays, partly caused by a sinkhole in Hollywood.

The Expo Line from downtown to Culver City cost $978 million, about 52% more than its original $640-million price tag. "

Costs and delays mount for downtown L.A. subway link - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 06:02 AM
 
130 posts, read 38,029 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
dont worry OP, when Trump becomes president, hes gonna send all of the poor people to a remote island.
not this sorry *** person again..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top