Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,406,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
London's tube.
When I rode the tube people were polite and generally civil even offered directions and tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 07:45 PM

9,808 posts, read 11,068,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
When I rode the tube people were polite and generally civil even offered directions and tips.
Agreed that the Tube is more civil, but far less than in used to be.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:15 PM

215 posts, read 471,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I do agree on the smell. Come on folks, it doesn't smell like that on other cities subways. Other than that, the Red line is great.

I can assure you that from my experience in every city NYC, Chicago (where I lived for a short time), San Francisco, London, Paris, Montreal, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and San Diego that I've taken the train in. Paris was probably the worst in regards to awful smells, but the best in efficiency and service.

Well I lied, Sacramento and Vancouver are the only two that I remember that see something weird or smell anything bad. But again it was only a one time thing in these two cities. But can assure you that if I was frequent each city train system, I would eventually experience the same issues.

Last edited by LA Fan; 04-05-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 PM

13,573 posts, read 15,514,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Considering where a lot of those Westsiders are from though, it shouldn't be....
Are subways common in Iran?

Old 04-05-2016, 08:21 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,167,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I do agree on the smell. Come on folks, it doesn't smell like that on other cities subways.
It absolutely does. New York subway platforms and cars stink of urine 24/7, and even Tokyo has stinky trains. The more people cram into a tight space, the stinkier it gets. Like comic book conventions.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:38 PM

215 posts, read 471,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
....The valley doesn't have as many crazy drivers besides on Ventura Blvd in Studio City people seem to drive really fast and some crazies in Glendale...but Burbank, Woodland Hills, and most of the rest of the valley just don't have the same aggression level it seems.
I disagree about Woodland Hills, they are very aggressive, rude, and impatient on the road. These fools will even run over you in a parking lot, and hardly anyone knows the rules of yielding to a person who has the right of way. It's as though our laws are only just a suggestions in this part of the city.

I not just make this up, and have experience with living and driving in just about every corner of this metro (Downtown, San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Inland Empire, and Orange County). From my experience, I would say West LA is the worst, and a very close next would be parts of the San Fernando Valley, especially Woodland Hills, Glendale, and as you mentioned already Ventura Blvd. It seems once get past Roscoe Blvd in the west Valley, the drivers seemed to chill out a bit.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
That wasn't my experience. Just the opposite. The Tube was nuts, crazier than the Red Line or any of the L.A. lines except the Blue Line, which it was comparable to.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:09 AM

601 posts, read 751,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
there was a guy spread across two seats who looked like he was sleeping except for his death grip on a plastic-encased pastry he had bought.
Oh, the horror! He brought 85c on the train!!

Old 04-06-2016, 02:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,834,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I just find it hard to believe the fantasy that Westsiders will give up their Priuses, Teslas,Mercedes and other vehicles to ride the subway.
Especially if the Westside lines are going to have the same 'standards' as the other lines.
It's different in a city like NYC where it's been multiple generations that have grown up and used the subway.
It's going to be a brand new thing for Westsiders.
The poor Westsiders who are taking the bus (you have low income housing here and there on the Westside) will take the trains. You are right that those with their nice cars are absolutely not about to take the train. If you're not used to riding mass transit getting on a train with a homeless lunatic raving is scary.

Also a lot of people may work in the Westside and maybe commuting in from other places, but they aren't making much money. So they'll take the train. The Westside lines will get good use. Obviously not by the well off.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:51 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,672,256 times
Public transportation is a failed pipe dream of politicians. We will always use our cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles