U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 04:53 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,375,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Maybe the store near you (Fairfax and 3rd?) doesn't sell as much meat so there's less of a turnover. The store on Sepulveda and Palms has a lot of business so the meat's always fresh
You've made a lot of assumptions about me these past few years, most of which are inaccurate

All the locations are pretty similar i've been to. I'm talking Burton/San Vicente, Barrington/Olympic, Pico in SM, SMB/LA brea (closed)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 02:11 PM

601 posts, read 552,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Trader Joe's is gross. Something is off. The meat isn't fresh, for example. The produce? A joke. The microwave foods? Tasteless. I'd rather have Ralphs or Vons.
Yeah, just like I don't understand the cult worship of Whole Foods...same goes for the Cult of Trader Joestown. My friends all say "oh but it's natural...!" then proceed to only buy the crap from the frozen section. (Their premade items have VERY high calorie counts as well) Some of their fresh produce is well priced, that's about all I can say for Trader Joes.

Ranch 99, Nijiya, and H-mart are the best 'chain' markets in LA, imo.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:45 PM

1,058 posts, read 944,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I went for the first time in years into the Whole Foods on San Vicente in Brentwood, in search of a good caprese. I found no caprese whatsoever. And it then ocurred to me that Whole Foods is just as phony as the people who shop there. Whole Foods is billed as being something of a willingly highfalutin establishment for rather discerning, well-informed consumers.

Ha!

Ha ha!

Ha ha ha!

No caprese? Are you kidding? Caprese is a fresh and healthy snack affording just enough savoriness to be consumed in its own right, but not so overwhelming as to not be an excellent choice to compliment a nice glass of one of the lighter reds, such as cabernet sauvignon (that's a type of wine, in case one of you domestic beer drinkers were wondering). Or, if you prefer, dip a bit in red vinegar. Olive oil on the side is fine as well.

But no, Whole Foods did not have caprese. They did, however, have box after box of sushi. Really? Sushi? What decade is it? I thought sushi went out with The Pet Shop Boys and Miami Vice.

What a sad little joke of a grocery market. Whole Foods? More like Whole Fools. Whole Foods is the sort of store people shop at who want to have high culture, but they actually do not and wouldn't know high culture if it landed on the hood of their Prius and said hello.

How pathetic.
So an epicurean is bemoaning the fact that there wasn't a pre-made caprese to be had?

Wow, that has to be the easiest salad to make.

Anyway, if you simply can't make your own asparagus water they have you covered.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:06 AM

24,250 posts, read 13,725,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Yeah, just like I don't understand the cult worship of Whole Foods...same goes for the Cult of Trader Joestown. My friends all say "oh but it's natural...!" then proceed to only buy the crap from the frozen section. (Their premade items have VERY high calorie counts as well) Some of their fresh produce is well priced, that's about all I can say for Trader Joes.

Ranch 99, Nijiya, and H-mart are the best 'chain' markets in LA, imo.
I think with both stores people like the idea that anything they pickup is going to be 'healthy'.
Their frozen stuff at TJ tastes better and is more interesting than the stuff you can get at Ralph's or Vons at least.
Prices at Trader Joe's are a pretty good value on certain items and a lot of the items you can't even find at larger chains like Ralphs or Vons.
They always seem to have new products to try too which helps in having people come back. "Oh this is new, i'm going to try it"

The one I get less than Whole Foods or Trader Joe's is Gelsons...which seems to have a lot of the same products and brands but higher prices. Even if I had a bunch of money I think just on principle I'd be pissed paying so much more for items just because it's being sold in "Gelsons"

Old 04-11-2016, 12:11 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,841,675 times
I still love Sushi. I also like Caprese. And a HUGE fan of Phillip Michael Thomas.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:32 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,434,543 times
just a heads up from a Westsider, no one goes into that Whole Foods on San Vicente to "shop"... it's all about the people-watching and trying to spot stars & celebs out in the wild. I've seen Conan O'Brien in line as well as Fergie. The cashier girl has spotted Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson shopping, as well as Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin (from Coldplay). There are also plenty of B-starlets from those chick-lit series churned out by Alloy that come in. Unless you're a certain female teenage demo you'd wouldn't even know who these actors were (my gf at the time was a casting agent so she some clue). btw, the Whole Foods on Wilshire & 22nd in SM has a bigger prepared food-to-go "deli" selection.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:09 PM

72,873 posts, read 64,340,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
just a heads up from a Westsider, no one goes into that Whole Foods on San Vicente to "shop"... it's all about the people-watching and trying to spot stars & celebs out in the wild. I've seen Conan O'Brien in line as well as Fergie. The cashier girl has spotted Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson shopping, as well as Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin (from Coldplay). There are also plenty of B-starlets from those chick-lit series churned out by Alloy that come in. Unless you're a certain female teenage demo you'd wouldn't even know who these actors were (my gf at the time was a casting agent so she some clue). btw, the Whole Foods on Wilshire & 22nd in SM has a bigger prepared food-to-go "deli" selection.
Those poor people, lol! Never a moment's peace or anonymity.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:16 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,186,727 times
Asparagus water?!
Spoiler
Take my money!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 PM

354 posts, read 489,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Do you ever have any fun?
I'm pretty sure EAP's been having fun with this whole thread.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:03 PM

24,250 posts, read 13,725,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Seems similar to Robertson Blvd...does anyone ever really go there to shop? Or just for the 'scene'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles